An Electrical question for you guys.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have encountered an electrical issue that is perplexing to me. My goal is LED lights in my saddle bags (I should have just ponied up for the AdMore kit, this I know now.) for running, brake, and signals.

I have some LEDs designed for 1157 bulb replacement so they have dual intensity. The method some of you guys have used on POD lights gave me the idea for how to wire it all up. The hot for the low came from the running light circuit. The hot for the high came from the brake light circuit. The ground for the new lights ties into the corresponding hot for that side turnsignal using the reverse polarity protection in the LED for the flash. I had the tail off the bike for easier access when I fitted everything and tested it out. It worked beautifully. I couldn't have been more pleased. So I tucked wires out of the way and all that jazz and started putting the tail section back together. That's where I encountered my problem.

As soon as I plugged the tail of the bike back in the running lights stopped. The brake lights still worked on the bags. After some not so friendly words and a little prodding here and there, I discovered the bag lights function just as they should if I remove the stock bulb from its socket. The moment I replace it, no more running lights. Since discovering the issue, I've tried only wiring it up as running / brake lights (taking the ground to a true ground) and still the same problem. I'm ready to pull my hair out. :confused:

I could just use the high intensity on the LED and have running / signals using the reverse polarity method. That could have been done with a single intensity LED tho. Does anyone know why the bulb would break the running light but not the brake light? Would replacing the stock 1157 bulb with a LED bulb solve it? I'm at a loss.

I hope my description of things is good enough to convey my situation and how I have things set up. Any input or information you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It may just be Karma telling me not to try and save $60 bucks by doing it myself. Just shell out the $ to AdMore. :)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I would try is to tap into the license plate light wire for the running lights. Hope that helps.

Also I thought the 1157(taillight) is only 2 wires?

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you running lights are shorting your low LED lights. What happens if you put the LED type lamps in the running lights?

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys for posting your input. I have stumbled across a solution, but not an explanation.

As I sat here trying to think of something, I remembered I had an old LED replacement bulb here that I'd had in my old bike. One of the wires had broken loose in it and only 1/4 of it would burn. I replaced my stock light with it and it all works as planned. I am still not sure why they wouldn't work beforehand with the standard bulb. And of course none of the auto shops local to me carry a clear LED bulb...only red. :spank: So I'll have to order one and limit the function of my lights in the mean time.

I'll post pics when all is as it should be. Thanks again. :D