Amazing Technology....

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing Technology.... But would you trust it ????

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFp62jDcoFM]‪Amazing Technology....‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I don't think I'd try the finger test, but that is truly amazing. For $60 that seems like cheap insurance, thinking I should get one....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing Technology.... But would you trust it ????

‪Amazing Technology....‬‏ - YouTube
That's Trucking brilliant, How doe's it stop the subsequent heart attack you get when you replay the incident?
I have seen some excellent digital amputations come through the doors of the ED.
One guy last summer came in with a left index finger off. The finger was rolled up in a hanky in his pocket. It was his third amputation on the same table saw.
He took the guard off for speed and couldn't see any problem with it. May be third time lucky as I haven't seen him this summer.

Nelly

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty amazing! I stuff my left pinky finger in there a few year back. All I hear at the moment of incident was the electric motors slow down. I knew right away why... By the time I pull my hand up (pain haven't reach my brain yet... happen so fast!) I started wondering how many fingers were gone... End up finding out just the tip of my finger was cut. I went to get stitches at the ER. Now my finger is 1/8" shorter than the one on my right hand. They just fold it over and put it back together... My nail look a bit funny but everything is alright. Could have been worst...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's incredible. I used to work in trade show building with CNC routers, routers, routers, planers, shapers, beam saws, table saws. I was gifted enough to graduate to the engineering aspect of building with all my digits not to say I've never had had injuries.
This technology will be on all saws in future industry. I mean if you were an insurance company and gov't paying out disability you would have this in every saw out there.

Most people I've heard of being injured by saws kicking back were involved with dull saw blades. There is so much to being injured. I've seen a 2x4 come out of a 5 horse table saw that would have killed any one who caught it in the head. :eek:

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
The technology sounds great, I am just not offering any of mine up to actually test. The bigger question is, since it seems to require your hand being wet, will it work if you wear gloves?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The technology sounds great, I am just not offering any of mine up to actually test. The bigger question is, since it seems to require your hand being wet, will it work if you wear gloves?

Yes, as soon as the teeth go through the glove.

But another question might be what happens in the real world with this system exposed to different material contamination and debri. For example I've used specialty blades in table saws to cut aluminum sheet and I'd use lubricants to help keep build up out of the blade teeth. What effect might those lubricant play in changing values in the sensor system that my prevent a trip out.

Also how about the physical presence of debri that might stop the mechanism from operating at design speed or impeded operation.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Rest of the Story:
This guy developed the technology, and its a great idea. He tried to license it to other tablesaw manufacturers, but none of them bought into it (nothing wrong with that). So, he started his own tablesaw company with this technology built into it, and they're selling saws (nothing wrong with that). He's still not satisfied, though, and bribed, er, made a campaign donation to his congressman and suggested a law be made that every tablesaw manufactured or sold in the US be required to have this device, of which he holds the only rights.
I'm all for safety but this really stinks. I believe the law was passed but is on hold now in the courts, don't have the latest update (only read about it in my woodworking magazines).
I've been using tablesaws my entire life and have never been cut (one nasty kickback once, flinging a 2x4 back into the top of my inseam... :eek:).
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and you should NEVER wear gloves at a tablesaw, that's just too dangerous. :spank:

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, as soon as the teeth go through the glove.

But another question might be what happens in the real world with this system exposed to different material contamination and debri. For example I've used specialty blades in table saws to cut aluminum sheet and I'd use lubricants to help keep build up out of the blade teeth. What effect might those lubricant play in changing values in the sensor system that my prevent a trip out.

Also how about the physical presence of debri that might stop the mechanism from operating at design speed or impeded operation.

It is an issue in the real world.

The company I used to work for installed one of these in the woodshop department. The material they were cutting was a compressed laminated fiberboard, which has the ability to absorb moisture when it gets humid.

-Side story- The saw works by sending an electrical charge through the saw blade. When your finger (or something that conducts electricity) touches the blade, it grounds the system, and activates the device. As seen in the video, it shoves an aluminum block into the blade and drops the whole assembly beneath the table.

Anyway, the saw's safety device was activated several times. Not because someone stuck their finger in the blade, but because there was enough moisture in the fiberboard to activate the system. Yes, it essentially destroys the saw, and yes, it costs a lot to replace it.

As far as cutting something like aluminum, it probably wouldn't work for 2 reasons. 1) The aluminum would ground the system and activate it 2) Only blades specially designed to work with that saw will fit. So, unless they've made blades for cutting non-ferrous metals for that saw, it wouldn't be able to.

I think it's a great concept, but it's use is just too specialized. There is no way they could pass a law requiring its use, because they would need to certify that this saw will work with every material that will be run through it. It would also skyrocket the price of a tablesaw.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice idea and I have a cousin who lost the tip of his thumb to a table saw. I don't agree with trying to force it down the throats of everyone, Monopoly anyone????

It would be great for a wood shop at a school but then I could see kids being dared to try it out. (peer pressure)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is an issue in the real world.

The company I used to work for installed one of these in the woodshop department. The material they were cutting was a compressed laminated fiberboard, which has the ability to absorb moisture when it gets humid.

-Side story- The saw works by sending an electrical charge through the saw blade. When your finger (or something that conducts electricity) touches the blade, it grounds the system, and activates the device. As seen in the video, it shoves an aluminum block into the blade and drops the whole assembly beneath the table.

Anyway, the saw's safety device was activated several times. Not because someone stuck their finger in the blade, but because there was enough moisture in the fiberboard to activate the system. Yes, it essentially destroys the saw, and yes, it costs a lot to replace it.

As far as cutting something like aluminum, it probably wouldn't work for 2 reasons. 1) The aluminum would ground the system and activate it 2) Only blades specially designed to work with that saw will fit. So, unless they've made blades for cutting non-ferrous metals for that saw, it wouldn't be able to.

I think it's a great concept, but it's use is just too specialized. There is no way they could pass a law requiring its use, because they would need to certify that this saw will work with every material that will be run through it. It would also skyrocket the price of a tablesaw.

Eventually they may develop the ability to set a zero reference with a CPU driven algorithm and use error amps. This might help to zero out error with reference to moister content in materials. I think the future will bring us artificial intelligence that will much like face and other ocular recognition systems will know when we're making that mistake and default to save our fingers. Of course when we get there which really should be but a few years down the road. Our fingers won't be needed! :rolleyes:

Only two times in my life I've said to people, "Don't do that, that way" or "Go home, you shouldn't be here today" I sort of wish I wasn't there on those days.These saws will humble anyone! :eek:

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gave it 2..... er 1 ":thumbup:"!

I like the theory, but you now some tard(s) gonna be lulled into a false sense of security after slugging back a few and head out to the work shop...