Almost got whacked tonight...

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't going to mention this but then thought, if this lesson saved my ass then it's worth reminding everyone.

Went to work this morning, worked, went to sailing lessons (good times, with a cutie too) then heading home at around 8:45. Not a few miles from home there is a left turn and I am on a road with houses on the left and right. People park along this road (there's even a semi truck... kind of out of place) which obstructs the view of the side streets. So there I am riding, coming up on a side street and see through the parked car windows (on the right side) the lights of a car on the side street. It's not moving so they "probably" see me, but I pull into the left of the lane anyways. Damn good thing I did. They pull out and came WAY OUT before they stopped! I had to pull an emergency turn into the other lane and I was barely inches away from hitting them. I looked into my mirror and they sat there for about 10 seconds, probably saying what I was "ohmygodohmygodohmygod". I was friggin PISSED, I wanted to turn around and raise hell but... it's not worth it.

Morals of the story: KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't going to mention this but then thought, if this lesson saved my ass then it's worth reminding everyone.

Went to work this morning, worked, went to sailing lessons (good times, with a cutie too) then heading home at around 8:45. Not a few miles from home there is a left turn and I am on a road with houses on the left and right. People park along this road (there's even a semi truck... kind of out of place) which obstructs the view of the side streets. So there I am riding, coming up on a side street and see through the parked car windows (on the right side) the lights of a car on the side street. It's not moving so they "probably" see me, but I pull into the left of the lane anyways. Damn good thing I did. They pull out and came WAY OUT before they stopped! I had to pull an emergency turn into the other lane and I was barely inches away from hitting them. I looked into my mirror and they sat there for about 10 seconds, probably saying what I was "ohmygodohmygodohmygod". I was friggin PISSED, I wanted to turn around and raise hell but... it's not worth it.

Riding is mental! Knowing How and Where to look saved your Ass! And because you saw the hazard, you adjusted your position. Any rider who failed to do what you just did would have had to rely on their safety gear, if they had any.

:thumbup:

WORBC

WOuld Rather Be Cycling
Reaction score
www.smallsats.com

Thanks for sharing! Being a new rider, I want to read more of these lessons learned! Ride Safe!

--terry

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding is mental! Knowing How and Where to look saved your Ass! And because you saw the hazard, you adjusted your position. Any rider who failed to do what you just did would have had to rely on their safety gear, if they had any.

:thumbup:

I know, if I hadn't moved to the left of the lane there was no way I could have avoided the car, I was inches away as it was. As for gear I had jeans, helmet, gloves and jacket, but who knows. Never been in a wreck on the bike but for that 0.10 seconds I thought this was it.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing! Being a new rider, I want to read more of these lessons learned! Ride Safe!

--terry

Be safe man, and keep your eyes open. It'll actually make you a better driver also because you're always on the lookout.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

--terry

You're in Irvine Ca. Home of the MSF. Take a BRC.

I know, if I hadn't moved to the left of the lane there was no way I could have avoided the car, I was inches away as it was. As for gear I had jeans, helmet, gloves and jacket, but who knows. Never been in a wreck on the bike but for that 0.10 seconds I thought this was it.

Your gear is your last resort: You rely on your mental abilities to ride a motorcycle by applying your riding strategy. Yes, it's a thinking game out there, so don't get beat! But if you do, then you rely on your physical skills if your ability to SEE and Predict fails, and if both your Mental and Physical skills fail, it's your gear. The amount of gear you choose to wear is up to you.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Your gear is your last resort: You rely on your mental abilities to ride a motorcycle by applying your riding strategy. Yes, it's a thinking game out there, so don't get beat! But if you do, then you rely on your physical skills if your ability to SEE and Predict fails, and if both your Mental and Physical skills fail, it's your gear. The amount of gear you choose to wear is up to you.

I think this is a great statement. Keeping your eyes moving to watch what is going on around you is very important. Keeping your mind on the road and what you see around you helps to understand where dangers are coming from.

When I had my accident I was prepared and half expected the guy to pull out in front of me. I say half because I didn't want him to and there was no reason for him to either. I believe my possition on my bike helped in my case as well. I wasn't able to get away with out making contact but I was able to do emergency breaking without doing an endo or laying it down making it worse.

I'm glad it was a near miss, and thanks for sharing as well. I hate hearing about people getting in accidents.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site

Here an Advent on UK TV. But the message is worldwide

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI8-_9FrB4]YouTube - Think Bike advert[/ame]

Last edited:

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the event, I think it's always good to keep sharpening the saw with conversations and relaying things that have happened.

Today I was headed to get my hair cut on the bike going down a twisty road from the subdivision to the main road. It's a 4 lane road with spaces in the median to turn around. I was in the left hand lane and coming around one of the bends. There was a car was trying to come across my lane to the Fire Station on the other side of the lanes. The car was peaking around the bend to see any vehicles, and whether it saw me or not, it still went across and I had to crank down on the brakes. Normally you would never see any cars in those middle areas trying to cross. I may not of been in the best position and going a little too fast too but from my training of always keeping my two fingers on the brake my reaction time was good and my braking prevented an accident.

Thanks again, not trying to hijack your thread just added that cars can come out of any where for any reason.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok. Ride as if you are invisible. It's them against you, and they have serious tactical advantages. I cannot remember for the life of me, where I got this from (could be my MSF instructor, or maybe I read it) - one motorcyclist (who was an ex-fighter pilot) always likened getting onto the motorcycle to getting into his plane - it's a fight, and you are outnumbered.

Btw, where in CT are you? Let's ride some time