After market exhaust retuning??

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it always needed?

I've found some great looking cans I wanna stick onto my fz6, but they cost a darn pretty penny.
speaking to a guy on my new postie run (RC Tuning in Moorebank), I would then need a PCIII, Dyno it and remap..
All up, about the same cost as the freaking exhausts!!

So, a good idea, suddenly becomes a $1900 dollar job.
Not exactly spare change to me.

(this is a cut and paste job from another forum I frequent)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your just doing slip-on cans you should be fine. The OEM CPU will take care of you. If you want to invest in some more umph then you can add a PClll. Depending on the manufacturer of the exhaust and combo's of alterations, there are maps available from DynoJet. So if you have something close you can upload a map to the PClll and can forgo the expensive dyno unless of course you're getting paid to cut tenths off your laps or ET's

What exhaust are you looking at? Are you eliminating the CAT pipe? Changing the air filter?
There are a lot of posts here on the forum that some members have worked hard on putting together info that I believe has dispelled a lot of misinformation about what is marketed to us and what the true gain is.
Other than a plain slip on I think your good to go..

Happy Zooming!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it always needed?

I've found some great looking cans I wanna stick onto my fz6, but they cost a darn pretty penny.
speaking to a guy on my new postie run (RC Tuning in Moorebank), I would then need a PCIII, Dyno it and remap..
All up, about the same cost as the freaking exhausts!!

So, a good idea, suddenly becomes a $1900 dollar job.
Not exactly spare change to me.

(this is a cut and paste job from another forum I frequent)

I dunno, but i reckon if you put the Leo Vince's on, you dont need to do a re-map...a couple of the boys from Adelaide have Leo's, and they didnt bother with the PC111, or a custom dyno map.

:thumbup:

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
If your just doing slip-on cans you should be fine. The OEM CPU will take care of you. If you want to invest in some more umph then you can add a PClll. Depending on the manufacturer of the exhaust and combo's of alterations, there are maps available from DynoJet. So if you have something close you can upload a map to the PClll and can forgo the expensive dyno unless of course you're getting paid to cut tenths off your laps or ET's

What exhaust are you looking at? Are you eliminating the CAT pipe? Changing the air filter?
There are a lot of posts here on the forum that some members have worked hard on putting together info that I believe has dispelled a lot of misinformation about what is marketed to us and what the true gain is.
Other than a plain slip on I think your good to go..

Happy Zooming!

are u able to point me in the right direction of this information please?
I find the search feature pretty hit and miss tbh

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For those interested.

I am deeply commited to Mivv Suonos.
Are slip ons. (but you can also buy an extra pipe for it.... which does....?)

Am guessing the optional mid pipe, is a Cat eliminator pipe, which supposedly makes the bike breathe even better again...but apparently, the difference is minimal. So maybe not worth the extra cost?

:thumbup:

CannonballX5

CannonballX5
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just reading your thread and have a silly question. I hope you don't mind, since it is a little off topic.... What is the benefit of aftermarket exhausts? Is it sound? More power? Looks? or all of the above. I ask because I just bought a used 2005 that was in an accident and was mostly put back together and repaired on a budget. Cosmetically it looks pretty good until I looked up underneath the tail and found a mess of wire welding that obviously patched up the exhaust. The crux of my question comes from a desire to know if I should get another factory exhaust from someone that has upgraded to an aftermarket, or just get an aftermarket. FYI I do not like the really loud pipes that some people ride around with, I just don't like the pain in my ears.

BTW I have owned this bike for two days and ridden it 8 times already and really love it, but the exhaust butcher job concerns me.

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
all of the above.

plus, it means me, as a motorcyclist with a loud pipes.
must be some sort of axe wieldig baby killer who runs old ladys down on the street.

that sort of street cred, as a menace and threat to society, just gives me a hard on.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahahahaha

I had a quick look at that exhaust the other day and I am sure they can be added to your bike without the total PCIII and dyno, that being said they do benefit greatly from this additional effort and cost, but its obviously quite a bit more money.
I'll recheck later tonight when i get home from work, but the Mivv site should contain the information.

The general consensus is until you add a aftermarket exhaust AND performance air filter you can generally do without a PCIII and remap, at that point it probably needs doing, although for common setups you can sometimes get a map already made, which might just need tweaking which should reduce the cost.

I got quoted for a map for my bike and had a heart attack at what the place wanted for what they described as "a days work". (More like two weeks wages for a normal person imo)
That being said they are heavily advertised in bike magazines and I am pretty sure are mainly trying to attract the crowd who get all their mods done by someone else so they can sit on it at a cafe and list all the wonderful things they paid big bucks for someone else to do.