Advanced timing

Freak

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever advanced the timing on a FZ6. Im assuming its quite retarded to have 12.1-1 compression and be able to run on standard 87-91 octance fuel. Could be some power gains there if there were a way to advance it.

Has anyone ever advanced the timing on a FZ6. Im assuming its quite retarded to have 12.1-1 compression and be able to run on standard 87-91 octance fuel. Could be some power gains there if there were a way to advance it.

Probably is a way to cause a timing advance. I read an article on a little gadget that was plugged into the harness on a Kawi ZX14 and it fooled the computer onto thinking it was in 6th gear where the timing would get advanced, as apposed to the first 5 gears which where retarded. It worked great and they really decreased their times in the 1/4 mile. The only downfall was it messed with the gear indicator which always thought it was in 6th gear.

Very worth researching!:rockon:

Cliff

Probably is a way to cause a timing advance. I read an article on a little gadget that was plugged into the harness on a Kawi ZX14 and it fooled the computer onto thinking it was in 6th gear where the timing would get advanced, as apposed to the first 5 gears which where retarded. It worked great and they really decreased their times in the 1/4 mile. The only downfall was it messed with the gear indicator which always thought it was in 6th gear.

Very worth researching!:rockon:

Cliff

that would be a TRE or timing retard eliminator

doubt they make one for our bike

as have seen them for mainly Suzuki

It would be fairly easy to make a new trigger wheel with an offset on all the teeth. That would do the job. But then you'd be stuck running premium.

You might gain a few HP. IMHO, not worth it, but others may disagree.

I don't see any reason why it would not work.

Fred

that would be a TRE or timing retard eliminator

doubt they make one for our bike

as have seen them for mainly Suzuki

The one I saw was for the ZX-14. Can't hurt to contact them and find out.

I'm off on a mission......

Thanks,
Cliff

It would be fairly easy to make a new trigger wheel with an offset on all the teeth. That would do the job. But then you'd be stuck running premium.

You might gain a few HP. IMHO, not worth it, but others may disagree.

I don't see any reason why it would not work.

Fred

I think they're (TRE) telling the computer that the tranny's in 6th and then the CPU eliminates the retardation.

Can you share how the sensing is done with the trigger?

Those that would do this mod would probably use premium anyway.

Thanks,
Cliff

Is this part of Yamaha's "detuning" of the R6 motor?
I have been lucky enough to get high octane from a single source for 4 years, except on long trips anyway, no way to carry extra fuel on a street bike.
I would be very interested in knowing more if you guys are doing the research and feel like sharing it.
I am a backyard mech so I am not as savvy as freak.

Is this part of Yamaha's "detuning" of the R6 motor?
I have been lucky enough to get high octane from a single source for 4 years, except on long trips anyway, no way to carry extra fuel on a street bike.
I would be very interested in knowing more if you guys are doing the research and feel like sharing it.
I am a backyard mech so I am not as savvy as freak.

Don't know if that's part of the detuned R6 but I know there are differences in the cam and probably mapping that would be tuned to that cam.

If I find out something I'll post it...

Thanks,
Cliff

Back