Adhesive Wheel Strips – FAQ

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking to install adhesive wheel strips, blue, to match my bike color.
I know is best to get the curved (pre-cut) ones for easier installation.
I also know is a pain in the butt to align & get them right on the wheel.
(sometimes I see bikes with the strop so zigzagged, it looks awful)

What recommendation you guys have for doing this job right? Best way to install?
Are those adhesive strips going to last thru heat, rain, oil, washes, etc? Is any special kind of strip that is better then other?
What is the ideal width of the strip for our OEM wheels?

I found those on e-bay, they are also “reflective” he said. Strip width 0.34” (8.5mm). What do you think?

Blue Adhesive Chrome Strips for Motorcycles Wheels 17in : eBay Motors (item 350317731751 end time Mar-17-10 21:29:42 PDT)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I went reflective; as such, I ditched the reflectors on my forks.

I've had mine on for the 7 months and 7K miles I've had the bike. I've washed the bike numerous times but am careful about rubbing the stripes. I remember when blow drying (with leaf blower) on my previous bike, one of the strips was loosened and the high wind made it worse. So I'm now careful about blowing the wind perpendicular to the strips.

I think someone here said it's best to install strips with wheels off the bike; I bet it would be easier. I did it on paddock stands so you can rotate the wheels as needed. I did a previous bike while on the kick stand -- major pain.

I think you will have extra strips in case one of them gets damaged; repair is easy. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it with wheels off the bike. Get decent quality if you can because they're not that expensive.

Dennis

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I found it was actually quite easy with the "curved" strips... took me like 15min to do both wheels (on the bike)...

What was important to get right were the first 2-3 inches, the rest fell into place almost on its own... keep the "back tape" (the thin tape that covers the sticky part) on and remove it as you apply the strip to the wheel (helps avoid the strip from sticking everywhere...).

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine since 2008 and they still good.
I bought the ones with a little plastic aplicator and it was really easy.
Make sure the wheel is as clean as possible, don't move the hand holding the tape and aplicator but turn the wheel.
You will finished in 15 minutes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoi1Jk0prQE]YouTube - Reflective Wheel Stripe for yamaha honda kawasaki suzuki ducati aprilia bmw ktm[/ame]

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I would'a got the nifty little plastic applicator. My instal of the stripes was "stressssfull".:banghead: I like the painted wheels too.:thumbup:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I installed my precurved stripes when the wheels were off the bike for tires. Made it alot easier.

The way I did it was to peel back the backing just a bit then use my right index finger to trace the indention around rim and used my left hand to aid the backing coming off. Mostly, running the index finger over the vinyl as it went around the rim pushed off the backing.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been very eager to do this for some time, but i got the 2005 fazer with the silver wheels and galaxy blue colour code (dark purpleish blue). I still to this day do not know what colour strips to go for :confused: anyone done this? or anyone got any ideas for colour?
many thanks

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunstan's Wheel strips are the ones that come pre-curved in 4 pieces. You just need to take your time and everything works out good. Here's my bike all reflectorized !! I also switched out the Shoei logos on my helmet with reflective ones.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
yea yea i will put some thoguht into it, am drawn to the chrome blue ones that were mentioned earlier on in this thread and i think they might set the wheel off, but i will be sure to post some pics when i decide :)

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
His trips are the pre-curved 4 piece per wheel type. If you take your time they are easy enough to install. Here are some pictures of my bike with it's wheel stripes and other reflective decals. I also changed out the decals on my helmet for reflective ones.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
His trips are the pre-curved 4 piece per wheel type. If you take your time they are easy enough to install. Here are some pictures of my bike with it's wheel stripes and other reflective decals. I also changed out the decals on my helmet for reflective ones.

Why the double post?

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Applicator - this looks like the secret tool

I don't want to take the wheels off, so the Applicator appear to be the right tool for me.
Here are some videos I found - looks easy & fast (don't understand that language in some of them, but is the video that's important).
It will take more time to clean & dry the wheels then apply the actual stripe:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmNctDvFk4]YouTube - Reflective Wheel Strip[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_CfZJVxSlA&NR=1]YouTube - Rhedmax - Friso Refletivo com Aplicador[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoi1Jk0prQE&feature=fvw]YouTube - Reflective Wheel Stripe for yamaha honda kawasaki suzuki ducati aprilia bmw ktm[/ame]

Here is installation without applicator:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Wd_GSUSnc&feature=related]YouTube - Rim Sticker Application - Rear Wheel[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZE6PpqjcA&feature=related]YouTube - Aplicação de friso refletivo em aro de motos (RimStripes)[/ame]

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site