ABS brakes

acim

Reaction score
www.acim.net
I've searched this forum but couldn't find any ABS related topic. What is your opinion on ABS brake system genareally and specially on FZ6?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ"]YouTube - ABS vs. No ABS[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6iu-1WFxw"]YouTube - Emergency braking with an ABS-equipped motorcycle[/ame]

I've decided to get ABS equipped bike and I am waiting for it. I believe it is much safer.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My last bike had ABS, it was a Honda. Never noticed it most of the time. Now I have the FZ6 I do not miss it. I lock the rear up more on the FZ, but it is no different to any other bike I have had. Perhaps for the newbie and in a real panic it would allow more control. ABS does not defy the laws of physics just makes them easier to manage.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had some advanced motor training last year. Both times included breaking at high speed. The first was up to 80 km per hour, the second up to 120 km per hour.

What they've learned to me was keep pulling the break lever together with the clutch and the rear brake. Pull as hard as you can. Keep in mind that you break so hard that it's well possible that you lift your rear wheel. This I experienced myself a couple of times.:thumbup: Loosen the grip on the break lever and you drop the rear wheel. You need both you know.
With ABS you need more meters to stop but you are able to in any condition. Rain, sand doesn't matter.

It was quit something to experience but it teaches you what ABS and breaking does with you and your bike.

I believe this is something everybody should practice in a safe environment just in case you need it in the real.

Keep in mind the speed you're at when you’re having fun. Then also you need to be able to bring your bike to a halt, safely.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Are there any aftermarket ABS brake kits available for a 2006 FZ6?
I highly doubt it, and if there was it'd be insalnely expensive. ABS requres wheel speed sensors in every hub, some sort of pump system to actually modulate the brakes, and a computer to control everything. It'd probably be cheaper to import a European model with it factory then add it on to an existing bike.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no ABS on the FZ6 in the US available? You can get them with ABS or without in Holland. Mine is with and will cost 300 Euro more. But it's worth every cent of it.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I think ABS is amazing device and everybody should have it. You should not be paying extra for that, HID lights as well. It should be standard safety feature on every vehicle. All cars we have or had in last 10-14 years are with ABS specially ones that my kids driven as beginners.

Locked wheel doesn't help you stop faster. Locked front wheel is disaster. I envy people who can control brakes almost in a way ABS does. I am not skilled like that and need help of technology to do it for me.
When buying FZ6 I almost went for GS650 for that reason alone, there is ABS option for Suzuki and none for FZ6.

Zack

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Holland we're just staring to get ABS on bikes. HID lights are not yet available. Airbags are just entering the bike world, only available on a few (big) bikes. Cars though you can only get with ABS and airbags.

I agree, every bike should have those safety features.

acim

Reaction score
www.acim.net
OK, then I did the right thing when I decided to pay €580 more for the ABS version (FZ6 Fazer S2 €7060 vs FZ6 Fazer S2 ABS €7640). They even didn't have the ABS version on stock, so I decided to wait for it to be imported from Holland.

BTW, it seems there is some central European Yamaha stock in Holland?

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
There's no ABS on the FZ6 in the US available? You can get them with ABS or without in Holland. Mine is with and will cost 300 Euro more. But it's worth every cent of it.

My UK model cost £200 more. I figured that after a 20 odd year break from biking I needed all the help I could get to stay safe. I don't regret the extra cost; It's saved my ass a couple of times.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen some posts about the FZ6 not being a bike for starters. I agree on that. I started driving bikes again after 14 years with the FZ6 as first bike. I had some moments I was glad to have the ABS on board.

I believe within the next couple of years there is no bike you can buy in the European Union without ABS. Maybe the super sports bikes with ABS you can switch off or something.

It would be my recommendation that, if you have the choice, buy a bike with ABS. If only you need it once in your lifetime it’s worth every cent.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I can see where it would have its advantages thats for sure, and maybe it would help lower insurance rates, who knows.

One time this fall when a buddy of mine and I were out riding we were coming through Wilksboro and the light was green, but turn yellow just as we were approaching the intersection. I was going to go on through it because I was just at that point-of-no-return where you have to go. However I saw to my right a lady just pulling right out of Walmart, did not see me, and a guy in a large truck making a u turn right in front of me.
I imediatly grabbed and handfull of brakes, the rear wheel got light and started to slide.

(This is when the years on a dirtbike came in handy) I continued to feed as much front as possible, I stood up slightly and shifted my weight to back of the bike and began pushing the bike in the direction I wanted with my hips. (The bike started to slide sideways when it first locked) The whole time I was feathering the brakes, but still braking hard. I stopped before the white line.

Now I can sound all big and bad here, but it scared the crap out of me, and as soon as we got out of that little town I pulled over and got off the bike and just walked around for a minute. Got my shakes out and we continued on.

-bryan

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
If abs was available in the US last year I would have gotten it. I know that practice can allow you to stop faster than an abs equiped bike, but when you factor in panic and non-ideal road conditions, I think abs offers a great advantage.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
When braking hard at speed I keep my foot off the rear or I will lock it up. The front is a darn good brake.
I love ABS on my FJR, sure wish they had it for the 6. Wait, they do over there? Yamaha you suck, if they can have it- why can't we? I would have shelled out the extra clams in a heart beat for ABS.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Going back a few posts, braking at high speed (120kph), is that high speed then!!!!!

Seriously I have ridden all types of bikes with and without ABS and only once has it come on, and it needed to. A faulty train barrier dropped in front of me with no warning whilst on a Honda Pan European, fully loaded and with my wife on the back too. Just stopped inches from the barrier, I couldn't have done that without ABS. ABS is of little use until the moment you need it, then it's a life saver. I think it should be compulsory on all new bikes.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I think ABS is the only thing I wished my bike had. I felt that improving the suspension also made a big difference in the bike's ability to brake effectively. I am no longer having to deal with major dive. But given the wet, slippery conditions I deal with, ABS would be nice.

OKCFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think ABS is amazing device and everybody should have it. You should not be paying extra for that, HID lights as well. It should be standard safety feature on every vehicle. All cars we have or had in last 10-14 years are with ABS specially ones that my kids driven as beginners.

Locked wheel doesn't help you stop faster. Locked front wheel is disaster. I envy people who can control brakes almost in a way ABS does. I am not skilled like that and need help of technology to do it for me.
When buying FZ6 I almost went for GS650 for that reason alone, there is ABS option for Suzuki and none for FZ6.

Zack

I tend to agree Zack. But, sadly, ABS is not available in the US. It's kind of like an ejection seat. If you use it once (and it works) its worth the money. Nevertheless, for non-ABS brakes the ones on the FZ6 are excellent. Particularly on the 2007 and later models. I'd also like to have linked brakes, traction control, a steering damper and fully adjustable suspension. But for some reason these things are nearly impossible to find on bikes with less than1000 cc and under 600 pounds.