A tent for your motorcycle(and you)

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What will they think of next! Way too much money however and it looks like there really is not that much room for people unless they are midgets. :D

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to figure out a reason why I would like to share a tent with my FZ... Haven't thought of one yet - last time I checked, a little rain will not harm a motorcycle!

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of tents.. Does anyone have a nice tent that packs well on their bike? All the ones I have used folds and packs pretty long, 28 inches plus or so. Just wondering if anyone has found a tent that folds up and packs small. I just hate to have it hang over the seat 6 inches on both sides.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going camping on a bike,you usually have panniers fitted.Even throw over ones,so it really shouldn't stick out further than them.
You can get the pop up tents and sort of fold them over and over on themselves,but they tend to be only good for kids camping in the back garden. :thumbup:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of tents.. Does anyone have a nice tent that packs well on their bike? All the ones I have used folds and packs pretty long, 28 inches plus or so. Just wondering if anyone has found a tent that folds up and packs small. I just hate to have it hang over the seat 6 inches on both sides.

The Cabela's Hunter Bivouac tent packs to 5 1/2" X 16" and weighs 2 lb. 6 oz. Pretty incredible. It's only available in camo but that means you'll blend in with the campsite very nicely-:Flash:. I have an older generation Cabela's bivy tent and must say it's adequate in MOST conditions (like MOST tents). They aren't designed for roominess. Just functionality.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
The Cabela's Hunter Bivouac tent packs to 5 1/2" X 16" and weighs 2 lb. 6 oz. Pretty incredible. It's only available in camo but that means you'll blend in with the campsite very nicely-:Flash:. I have an older generation Cabela's bivy tent and must say it's adequate in MOST conditions (like MOST tents). They aren't designed for roominess. Just functionality.

Reading the reviews it seems ok,but like most things in life,you get what you pay for.cheaper tents do tend to be adequate,whereas expedition tents if your camping for more than a couple of days tend to be excellent (and pricey!)

sos9394

Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the reviews it seems ok,but like most things in life,you get what you pay for.cheaper tents do tend to be adequate,whereas expedition tents if your camping for more than a couple of days tend to be excellent (and pricey!)

I had a wally brand Tent. and it starts leaking after used it for couple times.
:spank:

fazer_1000

Reaction score
Visit site
don't underestimate the idea so quick guys,

I've traveled south america for 3 months with a bike (mostly camped with my tent) and believe me there were numerous times I would've wished I could put my bike inside the tent - away from the eyes of strangers, pouring rain\snow and so and to just have the ability to do maintenance works after a long day inside the tent, protected from rain...

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
don't underestimate the idea so quick guys,

I've traveled south america for 3 months with a bike (mostly camped with my tent) and believe me there were numerous times I would've wished I could put my bike inside the tent - away from the eyes of strangers, pouring rain\snow and so and to just have the ability to do maintenance works after a long day inside the tent, protected from rain...

That's a good point. I first thought the same as most people - pointless and expensive when a normal tent will do. For most touring situations that still maybe true. But if you are adventure touring, in the middle of nowhere and have to do some emergency maintenance yourself in some awful conditions, I'd be happy of some shelter!

Also for security to a certain extent. Imagine having to take all your panniers of your bike (and anything else strapped to it) and put them inside your already small sleeping space, in order to stop them getting pilfered by 'friendly' locals. Yes you can chain the bike up (but chains are very heavy) but you've still got all that nice gear to secure....

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kind of like the idea of putting a nice warm bike in my tent, to get me nice and warm when I crash out.:thumbup: Just need to make sure you won't touch anything too hot with the nylon. Definitely no good in summer though.

Maintaining your bike, and security are also good reasons, but I think I'll just stick with my swag. Warm, comfy, dry, and no flapping about noisily in the wind....and in summer, you leave the top open with the skeeta netting closed, and gaze at the stars while you nod off.:cheer::thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

Got one at Walmart cheap. It is a 7 foot square nylon dome tent with the flexible "poles" that make it self-supporting. It ALL tucks into a nice little bag about 4 inches in diameter and about 28 inches long, (.....never mind : )