A pictorial introduction to Streetfighters

MikeFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Nate :D

I can understand why some ppl may say my bike is not a "real" streetfighter, but certainly not for the reasons your friends mentioned.

First, I did not start naked... my bike had a stock fairing that I took off myself... I know it was only a half fairing, but please... there are no "rules" in the streetfighter book about the size of the fairing :)
Second, there is no clear cut definition of a fighter... I do agree that no factory bike can be a "real" fighter, because by definition, fighters are customized and all of them unique.

To me, a streetfighter is a machine that was customized by its owner. It has to be done with the goal to make the bike aggressive/mean looking, yet keeping it as simple as possible. No plastics (or as little as possible), and all the work ought to be done manually.

That's where I can understand why some ppl may think mine is not a real fighter... I did not mold the headlight fairing myself for example... I did however do all the work myself (except the paint & powder coat), for all the electrical, the headlight bracket, speedo bracket and mounting, top triple swap, rear hugger cut...

Also, you will rarely see a fighter with its original rearend + seat... they are usually custom chopped rearends.... so another reason why one may say I am a little bit behind...

Some ppl may also say that I dropped way too much $$ into my bike for it to be a fighter... again, the trend in the streetfighter world is to "do it all yourself for as cheap as possible", but I believe this trend is slowly changing with ppl just liking fighters more and more... ppl don`t wait to crash to make a fighter out of their bikes anymore... they are looking for something unique and go for it.

Anyway, I posted my bike on the # 1 US fighter site and got great feedback... did not get one comment about whether or not my bike was a "real" fighter... to tell you the truth, I could care less! It is my fighter and I love it very much :rockon:

Hi Wavex

What you have done to your FZ is no different than a gixer owner removing the fairing, polishing the wheels putting a twin headlight conversion and calling it a streetfighter, its the same thing. It started life as a faired FZ and is now a fantastic looking streetfighter. Most streetfighters in my area are basically bandits wiith renthal bars, race cans, polished wheels and a headlight conversion, not much different from a stock machine??????????????but still refered to as streetfighters.

The first street fighters were trashed race reps that got modified by their owners. Instead of paying alot of cash to replace damaged plastic they basically cut everything back, removed the rest of the plastic and fitted a new headlight, usually a twin.

ATB
Mike:uk:

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think i have already said it but ill say it again....awesome looking bikes.

Is it uncomfortable to sit on one? The tail flares up like the backside of a pea**** on some of them.:confused:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Wavex

What you have done to your FZ is no different than a gixer owner removing the fairing, polishing the wheels putting a twin headlight conversion and calling it a streetfighter, its the same thing. It started life as a faired FZ and is now a fantastic looking streetfighter. Most streetfighters in my area are basically bandits wiith renthal bars, race cans, polished wheels and a headlight conversion, not much different from a stock machine??????????????but still refered to as streetfighters.

The first street fighters were trashed race reps that got modified by their owners. Instead of paying alot of cash to replace damaged plastic they basically cut everything back, removed the rest of the plastic and fitted a new headlight, usually a twin.

ATB
Mike:uk:

Thanks Mike for the precisions... have a pint on me will you :france: too bad you guys aren`t in the Euro soccer champ btw... :liar:

:Sport:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I think i have already said it but ill say it again....awesome looking bikes.

Is it uncomfortable to sit on one? The tail flares up like the backside of a pea**** on some of them.:confused:

I`ve sat in one of these once back in France, and it felt weird at first, but I`d bet they feel comfy at speed... it must lock you in nicely when going WOT

J

jsteinb95

I`ve sat in one of these once back in France, and it felt weird at first, but I`d bet they feel comfy at speed... it must lock you in nicely when going WOT

you actually like the tail on those bikes???? :confused:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Not most of them... else I`d have one on my bike already :)

But some are nice... when it`s well done and not over the top... I think its mean...

H

HavBlue

Who says a streetfighter has to start life as a full bodied sportbike? The actual term may also have come from a guy named Steven Myatt and you may find the first true appearance of the overall design came around 1980 or so in bike magazines. To me, a true streetfighter is a stop light bike designed with one purpose in mind, getting from one light in a city block to the next.

Reaction score
Visit site
This very entertaining. I like to think of the street fighter as the latest generation of the bobber of 50 years ago. Usually the first thing you do after you get a bike broke in( or just broke) is sit down with a cup of coffee or your favorite hop based beverage with a few like minded fellows, gender optional, and say" How can I go FASTER!" You discuss, argue and decide what to put on, take off, or change to achieve this. And there is a vast market out there to fill this. So, keep the the shiny side up and the rubber side down and RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!