9000km trip planned - can anyone relate?

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on doing a cross country trip from Eastern Ontario to Washington State and back. It will total 9000km and I have never done anything this long before. I read some tips in another thread about customizations for the bike that would be helpful, but I would also like to hear from anyone who has done a multi-day trip on their FZ6. Did you have any problems with the bike? Chief complaints? Any advice for someone embarking on a trip like this for the first time? All opinions are welcome! :welcome:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Before long trips I used to do a small one like 3 days long as a warm up.
I learned that you can never be 100% prepared. Don't overpack, but be prepered to ride in rain for some longer time periods. Know were you going, so you wont lose valuable time retracking.
You can have tons of info on advrider.com

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
EVERY time I visit advrider I end up spending far too much time on the computer.
Yeah right? I used to read it all day long instead of working... :)
But go to "trip planning" and ask what you need. Will get many good sudgestions.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
An upgraded seat and luggage are obvious things. I like my Corbin and have Givi hard luggage on the bike that I think is great.

I also use bar risers and a +1 front sprocket when doing road trips. That's the extent of what I do at the moment when travelling long distances. I would prefer to have highway pegs, but I haven't been able to justify the price yet. If you're going to be doing night riding, you might want to look into upgraded lighting(either HID retrofit or Auxiliary lights).

Earlier this year I took an almost 8000 mile 11 day trip and the bike performed flawlessly. The most important thing in this area is to make sure your wearable parts have enough mileage remaining to complete your trip, or you have plans in place to replace them at the appropriate time.

You don't want to start a trip like yours with tires that don't have much tread left, a chain that's adjusted back to the maximum, brake pads that will need changing soon, oil that's almost finished, etc.

It's always a fine line between being prepared for all possibilities and overpacking. Non-negotiable items for me are Yamaha tool kit, flat repair kit and a couple of MSR bottles with fuel.

Also, make your adjustments well in advance of the trip and take a couple rides to shake out any issues that might occur after the installations.

Have fun on your trip, the FZ6 is definitely capable of making the trip and for me is a lot of fun for long rides.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Bike: Tires (I replaced before my trip through western colorado because there were relatively no shops on the way), oil change, chain & sprocket (mine had enough miles for the trip, but needed to be changed almost right after I got back), air filter, coolant (replace every 24,000 miles or 24 months - and I mind the months because the coolant breaks down). Maybe pack an extra headlight bulb if you don't have a newer one or one with the super long life. Seat upgrade if you find yours uncomfortable. Luggage if you want it, although I just used a duffle bag, backpack and tank bag just fine.

2. Yourself: Gear modifiable for all conditions rain, cold, wind, heat or any combination of. Jacket with liner and some level of water resistance, gauntlet style glove and maybe a shorty glove, quiet helmet or ear protection, riding pants. Or if you want fancy an aerocrafter suit that can be wore over day clothes. I prefer REI MTS underwear and undershirts because of the moisture wicking abilities and for fighting swamp ass (also in a pinch they are easy to handwash and dry quickly). A plan for how many days before you will do laundry. Comfortable clothes, jeans and sweatshirt (I prefer wool because of it's drying abilities) for when you arrive. If you ride regularly, also maybe want to clean your existing gear you intend to take on the trip. The road trip brings out the smells a lot more after a few days.

3. Consumables: Always keep at least a liter of water and enough calories to survive for a day or 2. I had a camelback bladder and trail mix with me. At minimum your kidneys need 500 mL of water per day and function better up around 1.5 mL. I would also usually start my day with a good breakfast at a diner and with my meal usually get an English muffin as the bread option and ask for peanut butter and jelly to go that I would wrap up and take with me on the bike. This may seem a little extreme but it's just a habit I started when I used to do a lot of backpack trips. I found on the motorcycle it helped because being exposed to the elements I got dehydrated quickly and the extra calories helped make sure I had adequate concentration. Toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr. Bronner soap, hand wipes (see swamp ass comment), meds/supplements. I used Curaphen http://assets.euromedicausa.com/DBFiles/Greensheet/179.pdf , and Pain X Plus (love the caffeine in there, when I needed a little more than the Curaphen) BioGenesis :: White Willow :: Item #s 255, 260

And for one final thought, planning bathroom breaks.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOae1V1-Xg]Let's Talk About #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: oh, speaking of youtube, Electronics: I brought my iPhone and chargers, a Mophie battery pack, tablet for reading in the tent at night, GoPro with multiple SD cards, and the Mophie can be used to charge all of that stuff.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle Lock! Thottlemeister would be a suggestion so you can ride with your left hand so you can give your right hand a rest.

As others have mentioned, Rain Gear!

Are you camping or staying in hotels? That will also make difference. If you are ever caught in the rain, and for some reason your gear gets wet. Most major truck stops will have a washer and dryer, you can dry your clothes while you eat!

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not specific to the Fazer but covers a great deal of the prep work
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Motorcycling-Handbook-Route-Planning/dp/1905864469"]Adventure-Motorcycling-Handbook-Route-Planning[/ame]

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I come? lol I lived in Kingston the past 3 years for school, and my home is in Belleville are you the guy with the red FZ6 ive seen around town and talked to at stop lights a couple times? Ive got a dark blue 2009.

I rode to the south shore of lake superior in the summer, I rode there and back in about 30 hours, so a lot of time in the saddle, Definitely recommend upgrading your seat if you haven't already. Also investing in good quality camping gear if your going that route would be nice too, it poured on me overnight when I went and it really wouldn't have been nice to sleep in that tent again.

Having a riding buddy will also make your trip, I had 4 days of free time I was planning on traveling for but I came back after 1 night just due to being lonley with no real plan as to where I wanted to go.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the tires and brakes are relatively new so that you don't have to change them mid way. Schedule some resting days with good sleep, food and recovery.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the tires and brakes are relatively new so that you don't have to change them mid way. Schedule some resting days with good sleep, food and recovery.

I've actually left for a long road trip with some life remaining on the tires, but knew that they would not make it for the entire trip. Knowing this, I had planned on getting my tires replaced at a certain location. Securing a price, and date for install and replacement. Sometimes it can be performed cheaper in another region, just do some research on the shop/dealership where you intend on doing the swap. And you haven't left any unused miles on your tires.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Ear plugs.

A credit card will get you anything you forgot.

If traveling alone I recommend a spot tracker. SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

Pray you won't need the emergency button but if you do this will be the best money spent on your trip. Also a great way for family to know where you are.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't overthink things, don't set a fixed schedule as who knows what may happen to throw you off your plans.

Don't overpack. My first long trip (and many after that, until I learned my lesson) I brought way too much stuff that I didn't even touch, even brought a full size tripod a couple times... Here's my standard stuff I take regardless of how long I'm going, and that can be pared down even more if I really wanted to;

- second pair of jeans to the ones I wear
- two extra t-shirts
- one long sleeve t-shirt
- one sweater that's good for cold weather
- a couple extra pairs of undies and socks
- base layers if I expect it's going to get chilly
- toiletry bag
- FroggToggs rain suit
- pair of walk around shoes that pack small, a comfy pair of shoes after a day on the bike is a godsend.
- 15" Macbook and iPad

A credit card will take care of almost anything unexpected that might come up. CAA (Canadian AAA) is a must if you don't have it already.

If you're suspicious or not 100% confident about something on the bike, take care of it before you go or make plans to fix it on the way.

Build up your long distance ability before you go. Doing 1000+km's in a day is hard on your body (especially your bum) if you're not used to it. Do a few day long or overnight trips before you go to get yourself adjusted to it.

Personally, I have zero issues with the FZ6 as it comes out of the box. Did many long trips on the stock seat. Have since upgraded to a Corbin, but the rest is stock. Supposedly a bead seat cover (think every single taxi) works really well even though it looks stupid.

At the end of the day, don't worry about it. That kind of distance really isn't that big of a deal in North America. It isn't as if you're going through some dangerous foreign land.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be afraid to stand and ride like the ADV guys do. I found that after about every 30-40 miles if I would stand for about 1 mile it made the hugest difference in terms of overall soreness at the end of the day.

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I come? lol I lived in Kingston the past 3 years for school, and my home is in Belleville are you the guy with the red FZ6 ive seen around town and talked to at stop lights a couple times? Ive got a dark blue 2009.

I only became the owner in September and haven't spoken to anyone at a stop light, but the previous owner is from belleville and was often in Kingston so maybe it was him! I do currently plan on traveling alone, but wouldn't be opposed to have company to Calgary at least.

Thanks a lot for the great suggestions so far. I've got a list going with your many contributions and it is really helping. To specify a couple details, I am planning on camping. I was thinking of booking campsites for every night and traveling between 600-700kms per day. I know someone suggested to just go with the flow but I don't really want to have to stealth camp or just setup on the side of a road. I'm also going to use a hammock instead of tent. Just seems more practical! Any fans of the hammock?

I definitely plan on doing a small trip beforehand to try out some of the customizations to the bike, and to test out the whole camping and riding thing. When it comes to the seat, I actually haven't had any issues with the stock seat so far. I know many of you suggested to upgrade, but have any others found the stock seat just fine? I don't want to start a seat debate but I read that stock seat can be better just because you have flexibility in how you position yourself.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
15" Macbook and iPad
How do you protect a laptop from rain etc? I brought a Macbook Air 11" and on two occasions it stopped working because of rainy weather. Apparantly it's very sensitive for humidity levels. The battery shortcircuited and then it took three weeks before it dried up and functioned as normal again. I actually had a protective water tight bag, but it was too thin and it broke.. So packing electronics to be 100% safe isn't obvious.

Last edited: