8 years with MSF, 3 years of coaching.. and this is the funniest thing to date!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The major difference being, that ours is mandatory. You can make it as hard as you like, but if people can opt out, what's the point? I honestly don't know how you "sensible" (well, ish lol) riders and instructors do what you do over there, when every day there's just more and more people making the case for bikers worse and worse, because they can, due to lack of control by those in charge.

I do what I do because I know the people I coach come to my school voluntarily. They want to learn. They want to do it right.

I would probably be less interested in coaching in a state where MSF is required. Coaching people who have no interested in being there.. nothing rewarding about that.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Coaching people who have no interested in being there.. nothing rewarding about that.

That's a fair point. But would it not be better that those who absolutely refuse to learn, either don't ride or get banned from the roads if they do ride? And those that are willing to go through the motions, what ever their intentions once they pass the course, might just pick something up that saves their life?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a fair point. But would it not be better that those who absolutely refuse to learn, either don't ride or get banned from the roads if they do ride? And those that are willing to go through the motions, what ever their intentions once they pass the course, might just pick something up that saves their life?

There is a certain percentage of riders who would likely benefit from this. The sane, responsible ones who mostly stick to the rules and just don't realize that they may learn a thing or two to make them safer.

The suicidal ones? We can't change their personalities.

It is possible to ride above one's skill level, regardless of the level of skill one has achieved.

Having said that, I'd love to see a certain level of rider AND driver education become a national standard. Continuing education should be standard too. 2-day class, once every 2 years wouldn't hurt anybody.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Having said that, I'd love to see a certain level of rider AND driver education become a national standard.

You mean.........whaaaaaa?!?! How is it not already?! What exactly do you have to do to get on the roads in the states? Just rock up to the DMV with a passport photo and a cheque? I was going to offer to drive next time we go over on holiday. Might just rescind that offer now.

Continuing education should be standard too. 2-day class, once every 2 years wouldn't hurt anybody.

That needs doing. People can keep a full car licence here for 53 years, no questions asked. And even then, they only have to self declare that they're still fit to drive. Mind boggles.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Coaching people who have no interested in being there.. nothing rewarding about that.

I had a father son combo, and the father kept whining that he wasn't getting anything out of the class since he already knew how to ride, and so I told him he can just dismount and leave anytime. No RC is forcing any rider to stay, but if he is there to support his son, I suggested that he man up and set a good example for him and to the other riders, since I do take advantage of my stronger riders. I tend to have them go first, lead the group, etc. Turns out his son, a new rider had a better skills evaluation score than his dad. Ha Ha...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason why is because his son was there to learn, and the father wasn't. Although the dad knew how to ride, he wasn't willing to accept any of our inputs of the things that we noticed that could have helped. And the score reflected of it. The kid was a great student, the father wasn't.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean.........whaaaaaa?!?! How is it not already?! What exactly do you have to do to get on the roads in the states? Just rock up to the DMV with a passport photo and a cheque?

Not quite THAT simple. You do have to pass a driving / riding test. Both are relatively easy.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean.........whaaaaaa?!?! How is it not already?! What exactly do you have to do to get on the roads in the states?

In America you get licensed to ride on the road by demonstrating your ability to ride in a parking lot.

I was doing my test and a cone nearly took me out, so then on the roads I just imagined being surrounded by dangerous cones then traffic became easy. :D:D