8,000 mile service

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so finished the 8,000 mile service and cleaning. i changed oil, sparkplugs, checked all bolts, cleaned engine thoroughly, checked tires,... etc. If you have not changed your sparkplugs and you are near 8,000 or beyond it, do it. I took it for a spin and what a difference. Runs like the day i drove it off the showroom floor. o ya... stripped the oil filter nut but got it off eventually...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job on the service. Did you do a 6000 mile service?
The UK service interval seems to be a bit un-clear.
When I got my 2005 FZ6 it came with a revised service schedule.
The old FZ6 with the thunder cat engine was 8000 miles. The R6 motor is 12,000 miles (apparently).

Nelly

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
i may be wrong.... which i am sure someone will correct me but i think i only have to do the 600 mi 4000 mi and 8000 mi first was done by dealer lsdt two by me :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i may be wrong.... which i am sure someone will correct me but i think i only have to do the 600 mi 4000 mi and 8000 mi first was done by dealer lsdt two by me :thumbup:
I don't dispute you mate, I had a 600 mile service, then a 6000 mile service. The dealer made quite a point to tell me that the service intervals were 6000 miles.
I also checked this out with another Yamaha dealer.
Either way your bike is well maintained and thats all that matters.

Nelly

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
absolutely.... sounds like you take care of yours as well... :thumbup: it is actually fun to work on my bike... never thought i would think working on something would be fun lol

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
absolutely.... sounds like you take care of yours as well... :thumbup: it is actually fun to work on my bike... never thought i would think working on something would be fun lol
Since I got my Haynes manual it has been much better. I am going to sync my own carbs in the future to.

Nelly

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I don't dispute you mate, I had a 600 mile service, then a 6000 mile service. The dealer made quite a point to tell me that the service intervals were 6000 miles.
I also checked this out with another Yamaha dealer.
Either way your bike is well maintained and thats all that matters.

Nelly

This is what I was told as well. Seems like a lot in between but I'm not complaining. My dealer told me every other service is a 'big one' and will cost about 3x a 'check up'. My 6K check-up was around £120 and they said to expect around £300 for the 12K check.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
For our US bikes it is first at 600 miles and every4k miles for oil change and 8K for plugs etc. The small owners manual has the maintanance schedule. I do TBS at those times.
I spend the most time caring for the chain as I clean and relube every 2-300 miles while also checking tire pres. and just a general check of the bike.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I was told as well. Seems like a lot in between but I'm not complaining. My dealer told me every other service is a 'big one' and will cost about 3x a 'check up'. My 6K check-up was around £120 and they said to expect around £300 for the 12K check.
I better get reading then Lol.

Nelly

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was about to ask on here about the service schedule as according to the UK manual it's every 10,000km / 6,000 miles with an initial service at 1,000km / 600 miles, and what you guys have said in here agrees with this as does my dealer.

Looking at the post saying every other service is a "major" one, I'm damn glad we bought the three year service pack option for GBP300 as my girlfriend racks up 8,000 miles a year on a bike so in three years she'll do 24,000 miles which will be five services! Even if they are GBP120 for a minor service and GBP240 for a major, that's a GBP500 saving.

Cheers for all the good info.