60mpg.. Above Average??

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my bike for about 2 months now and have only had to fill it up twice.. The first time I got an average of 53mpg and the 2nd time it came out to 60mpg! My 04 always got 40mpg no matter what... I could do all city, all highway or a combo of the 2 and it always did 40mpg.. My 04 was naked and stock.. My new bike is faired with K&N and two bros.. No power commander yet. Does anyone else get mileage this high?

P.s. I just picked up a power commander on ebay for 195!! Thanks al ot to who ever kept bidding it up the price! Jerks :)

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
60mpg is pretty high, and not average but not impossible either. I average around 50mpg, lots of highway miles, but I've gotten around 58 before.... I've also gotten around 38mpg but I was going a "little" over the speed limit for awhile.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
60 mpg is pretty high, but it's not outside the realm of possibility if the following conditions are met.

1. You accelerate from stops very smoothly and keep your RPM's low.

2. Most of your riding is done at a constant speed (under 60 mph) on flat ground.

3. Your tires are always at the correct pressure (or slightly higher).

I suppose 60 mpg is attainable if those three conditions are met at all times.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
60 mpg is pretty high, but it's not outside the realm of possibility if the following conditions are met.

2. Most of your riding is done at a constant speed (under 60 mph) on flat ground.

4. you ride at a very high altitude above sea level

Have heard of FZ6's getting in the 60's when riding way up in the mountains.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't a rider get less MPG's at high altitudes because there is lower oxygen density?

Internal combustion engines make less power as the elevation increases. Less power available means more fuel burned to accomplish the same amount of work.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you do a lot of downhill. Maybe a few cylinders are not filling with fuel :D? Maybe you need to crank it a little more :D?

Seriously, 60mpg is pretty high.

Dennis

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Wouldn't a rider get less MPG's at high altitudes because there is lower oxygen density?

Internal combustion engines make less power as the elevation increases. Less power available means more fuel burned to accomplish the same amount of work.

well, if you are turning the same performance numbers, then yes, it would be less economical. However, due to our bikes using a MAP sensor, the lower air pressure would tell the bike that the mixture needed to be stoichometric requires less fuel. So, top gear at 60mph at 7,000 feet would produce a higher mpg than top gear 60mph at sea level.

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely possible. I got 60.1 mpg on an entire tank from Moab, UT to Golden, CO (just outside of Boulder). 245 miles until the low fuel warning started. I recently did a 6,000 mile trip across the western USA and noticed better mileage overall. My highway average was in the mid 50's, when it's usually 45-50 mpg given the speeds I was going.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site

This is exactly how I rode my every day commute apart from cruising at 68mph. Got over 60mpg plenty of times but cannot emphasise how gently I was riding. On average got high 50's.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello....
Mine is 06, all stock nothing about perf. modification.

I get always 50+ MPG, whatever I do riding; includes city, highway, and high rpm...

If I do ride 60 ~ 65 mph for a time on the highway, I DO GET 60+ MPG.
Means, if I keep slower than speed limit at the highway.

60 MPG is pretty common for me as I do enjoy some touring (highway) riding.
Keeping slow speed, do not pushing throttle, and relaxing riding would do always for me.

:rolleyes:

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I have hit 60 mpg while I was out with my buddies on their cruisers... mostly highway at 45-60 mph.

Normally I run around 45-50 mpg (combined city/highway) when driving normally... :rolleyes:

Canadian gallon is 20% larger than the American gallon so my 60 mpg = 50 mpg (US).

(2008 super fast black... with even faster speed stripes)

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
No this is not Average and is not normal and needs to be fixed ASAP. The first thing you need to do is to go down a tooth on your front sprocket and possibly up one or two on the rear. Following this you need to change your shift point to a much higher RMP and twist the right hand grip much more aggressively. Needless down shifting to light up your two bros pipes will also aid in solving this problem. I hope these steps will get you down to a more respectable MPG. :spank: :D

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never once gotten 60 MPG. I usually average around 43-45 with a mix of highway and city, putting about three hundred miles a week on it. Of course I stay in the powerband and am liberal with the throttle, I find 43 quite acceptable:Flash: If I am doing all highway I can hit 50 MPG, if I went 60 MPH on the highway I would get run over, the limit here is 75 and I usually go a little ahead of that so that I don't get stuck in SUV blind spots.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
I got 52 mpg when the bike had under 1000 miles. The first tank over the 1000 mile break in mark my mpg dropped to 38. I rode the bike on the pipe, 7000 rpm and higher half the time. On a racetrack, I think I would get mpg in the twenties. Some are proud they ride the bike like a grandma. Some are proud they ride the bike like a racer. Thats one versatile bike.