6000 Mile Service

I've been on this forum coming up on two years and have never seen derogatory posts like the ones you've made in your short time here. This is by far the most helpful forum I know of, with respectful members who share interesting topics and helpful knowledge.

You're out of line. Knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Yeah really....hard numbers, facts, polite (as can be, given the asshattery) response and cdcool can't just let there be an agreement about a disagreement.

keep telling yourself that old man, you can keep your $200 filter. No body in their right mind would buy that, except possibly a snob like yourself. Me and the rest of the community are happy with our $3 Walmart filter which outperform your $200 filter.

Shows your mentality... :(

Where are you reading $200.00 on the site, it CLEARLY states $139.00, NOT $200.00?

With 6 posts under your belt, a join date of THIS MONTH, your speaking for entire forum?

I'm curious how you know the entire, worldwide FZ6 forum uses $3.00 Walmart filters??

Personal insults too??? (Notice I didn't call you a smart a$$ punk, cheap, that can't do simple math nor apparently read).

Someone needs to take a long nap and grow up...

Have a great day, I will! :)

BTW, We know your "TCmalker" just under another alias, stirring up what ever you can, BANNED AGAIN!!!..:)

Last edited:
All the other, "Tom Foolery" aside. I've often thought the K&P engineering filter might be a great switch for me because my SV can never have too much cooling here in SoCal. High oil temp is probably the greatest component break down of the properties that protect our engines. Most SVs run much hotter than the FZ6 so for me given my engine and environment it might be a great choice. :) I'm at present using the K&N.

Scott, How do you clean the K&P?

Last edited:
Agreed, one of the nicest forums Ive been on.. Let keep it that way..

I will side with Townsend on this matter. The filter means everything. Cheap filter like Fram or Purolator (Walmart) are junk. Ive cut a couple apart and after 3k miles theyre collapsing and looking pretty tough inside. I had a friend have one plug for no apparent reason (after about 1000 on new oil). We run Bosch filters on our cars. (Have a collection of Saturn SL's... now dont laugh at me!)

Anywho, I run yamaha filters on the FZ at $12 each, and do about 4 oil changes a year. Ran about 12,000 miles this year (and building so long as weather hold up.) So really a K&P wouldnt take long to pay for itself at all!
My friend Rick runs a K&P on his VFR with 68,000 miles on it. He likes it!

Also, just wanted to thank Townsend! He's always responded to my questions and posts with GOOD information. Definitely a helpful member on this forum!

All the other, "Tom Foolery" aside. I've often thought the K&P engineering filter might be a great switch for me because my SV can never have too much cooling here in SoCal. High oil temp is probably the greatest component break down of the properties that protect our engines. Most SVs running much hotter than the FZ6 so for me given my engine and environment it might be a great choice. :) I'm at present using the K&N.

Cliff, simply unscrew off the engine with the supplied socket.

The SS screen filter media unlocks with a slight press and turn(there's a spring inside to keep it taught).

You can then see ANY DEBRIS in the engine oil filter without hacking up anything.

Simply spray, from the inside out, the filter assembly with brake cleaner (that's what I use). I also use the air compressor as well.

As its drying, I'm draining the crankcase. Pop back in the aluminum housing, lube the seal and tighten to 12 ft lbs. Done... :thumbup:

Agreed, one of the nicest forums Ive been on.. Let keep it that way..

I will side with Townsend on this matter. The filter means everything. Cheap filter like Fram or Purolator (Walmart) are junk. Ive cut a couple apart and after 3k miles theyre collapsing and looking pretty tough inside. I had a friend have one plug for no apparent reason (after about 1000 on new oil). We run Bosch filters on our cars. (Have a collection of Saturn SL's... now dont laugh at me!)

Anywho, I run yamaha filters on the FZ at $12 each, and do about 4 oil changes a year. Ran about 12,000 miles this year (and building so long as weather hold up.) So really a K&P wouldnt take long to pay for itself at all!
My friend Rick runs a K&P on his VFR with 68,000 miles on it. He likes it!

Also, just wanted to thank Townsend! He's always responded to my questions and posts with GOOD information. Definitely a helpful member on this forum!
Purolater pros are a great filters and highfive to being a fellow S-Series owner (3rd gen coupe here!)

I keep reading that all sport bikes use the same filter threads so...buying a K&P makes perfect sense if you're a one bike guy because then you can just swap it to the new bike.

Just an FYI, "CDcool" is a scammer, just another AKA also known as (and already banned) as "TCmalker".

He changes user-names and gets on the forum just to stir things up...

Its been brought to Admins attention, and taken care of. There's no reason for what he was doing and its been stopped.

Thank you all for the positive comments/support, it IS appreciated.

I'll do everything I can to keep this the best, forum on the internet as it already is!!

Special thanks to Cliff (Motogiro), who did the actual leg work tracking down "TC" and shutting him down... :thumbup:

Purolater pros are a great filters and highfive to being a fellow S-Series owner (3rd gen coupe here!)

I keep reading that all sport bikes use the same filter threads so...buying a K&P makes perfect sense if you're a one bike guy because then you can just swap it to the new bike.

Lol, sorry you drive one of these things too!! JK, for dirt cheap transportation, theyre not so bad. Just have to put up with a little oil consumption is all.

**Back to the core of this thread, change oil and ride that BEAST!!

All the other, "Tom Foolery" aside. I've often thought the K&P engineering filter might be a great switch for me because my SV can never have too much cooling here in SoCal. High oil temp is probably the greatest component break down of the properties that protect our engines. Most SVs run much hotter than the FZ6 so for me given my engine and environment it might be a great choice. :) I'm at present using the K&N.

Only problem i have with those filters is. Since is not disposable. There is always a risk of some residues being missed. Or the element not filtering 100 %.

With the disposable filter. Im sure whatever residue is on the filter. Is going away with the filter

Only problem i have with those filters is. Since is not disposable. There is always a risk of some residues being missed. Or the element not filtering 100 %.

With the disposable filter. Im sure whatever residue is on the filter. Is going away with the filter

If you go to the web site, you'll see when cleaning it, you see the ENTIRE SS MESH FILTER when you open (1/4 or 1/3 turn, I forgot) it up to clean it. I've had many apart many times(on the FZ and FJR, same filter), very, very simple, some brake cleaner, an air compressor, its brand new clean.

Nothing is hiding.

If you also look at who's using them, the aviation industry as well as other high performance engines as well. Just the flow compared to a paper filter is unbelievable..

You also see any trash/bearings, gears or anything else bad going on in your engine...

I just posted for any one looking for a different and IMO, a much better filter/oil cooler (but it isn't cheap $)

And also +1, change the oil and filter and ride that bike!!! MC specific oil only please!!!

Lol, sorry you drive one of these things too!! JK, for dirt cheap transportation, theyre not so bad. Just have to put up with a little oil consumption is all.

**Back to the core of this thread, change oil and ride that BEAST!!
This is my second (hydrolocked the first) and this one burns no noticeable amount of oil...but it does have a slippy clutch (got dicked over on a "new" lightweight flywheel) and an unfixable steering problem that I cannot seem to track down. If those two things were fixed, I honestly cannot see me owning another DD, this has the fun and fuel economy no other car can come CLOSE to (in the sweet combo) within like 10,000+ dollars. Mine gets almost 40MPG because I put the geared out transmission from the SC1 into it but it still has the power of the SC2+ the header and intake I have on it, and still turns like a slot car with it's lowered sport springs :D

I mean...Oil filters yo!:thumbup:

If you go to the web site, you'll see when cleaning it, you see the ENTIRE SS MESH FILTER when you open (1/4 or 1/3 turn, I forgot) it up to clean it. I've had many apart many times(on the FZ and FJR, same filter), very, very simple, some brake cleaner, an air compressor, its brand new clean.

Nothing is hiding.

If you also look at who's using them, the aviation industry as well as other high performance engines as well. Just the flow compared to a paper filter is unbelievable..

You also see any trash/bearings, gears or anything else bad going on in your engine...

I just posted for any one looking for a different and IMO, a much better filter/oil cooler (but it isn't cheap $)

And also +1, change the oil and filter and ride that bike!!! MC specific oil only please!!!
I'm almost sold, I'll change my oil first thing next season though if I don't go with the K&P right off the bat then I'll likely not do it. I wish EVERY motorcycle used the same threads (I know most do now) so I was insured that if I got another motorcycle before ~50K-60K miles on the FZ...that I wouldn't have blown my money.

"I'm almost sold, I'll change my oil first thing next season though if I don't go with the K&P right off the bat then I'll likely not do it. I wish EVERY motorcycle used the same threads (I know most do now) so I was insured that if I got another motorcycle before ~50K-60K miles on the FZ...that I wouldn't have blown my money."

Just another note.

When I sold my FJR, I had a spare K&N filter (low miles on it) and a K&P filter ON the bike. I gave the guy that bought it, the option of buying the bike, with or without the K&P (and I'd re-install the K&N).

He paid an addtional $100 for the K&P after going to their web site and researching it.

I lost a little bit, but I wanted to get down to one bike. Should I sell this FZ, I'd pull the filter and put the K&N back on it... ;)

"I'm almost sold, I'll change my oil first thing next season though if I don't go with the K&P right off the bat then I'll likely not do it. I wish EVERY motorcycle used the same threads (I know most do now) so I was insured that if I got another motorcycle before ~50K-60K miles on the FZ...that I wouldn't have blown my money."

Just another note.

When I sold my FJR, I had a spare K&N filter (low miles on it) and a K&P filter ON the bike. I gave the guy that bought it, the option of buying the bike, with or without the K&P (and I'd re-install the K&N).

He paid an addtional $100 for the K&P after going to their web site and researching it.

I lost a little bit, but I wanted to get down to one bike. Should I sell this FZ, I'd pull the filter and put the K&N back on it... ;)
Good deal! I didn't think about just turning around and selling it to another person *doh*. Even if I got like $60-$70, I'd likely be close to breaking even and the next guy(or gal) has even LESS to go towards justifying it!

You should be a salesman for them, I'm pretty much sold now! lol

Now....anyone selling a used K&P on the cheap? :D

I didn't particularly want to spend that much $ on a filter, but the more I read on it, the more I knew the benefits for the engine.

Paying for itself, over time, I never really thought about it until this thread(really)..:thumbup:

I'm not a tree hugger and couldn't care less re a throwaway filter..:spank:

I didn't particularly want to spend that much $ on a filter, but the more I read on it, the more I knew the benefits for the engine.

Paying for itself, over time, I never really thought about it until this thread(really)..:thumbup:

I'm not a tree hugger and couldn't care less re a throwaway filter..:spank:
I am green loving and am frugal (cheap) so the less I have to throw out or pay out...I do!:cheer:

Back