48T Sprocket install questions

Slug

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6 with stock sprockets and chain. After reading in this and other forums, I want to change the rear sprocket from a 46T to a 48T (+2), probably with a Vortex model. I would have the dealer do this at my 4000mi service next month. I will be keeping the stock front sprocket. I know I will want a speedohealer. I do not wish to do a 520 conversion.

1) Will the stock chain fit without modification?
2) Should I replace the chain simply because it will have 4000mi on it? I have put half the miles on this bike and they have not been hard miles.

Thanks for your input.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
4000 miles on that chain, if maintained is still new. As for of it will fit, it will be close as you'll need a slightly longer chain. Does it look like there's much room to adjust the rear wheel forward?

Looking at my 07, (with a little more mileage) it appears the wheel will move forward enough, as your only going up 2 teeth.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
-1 not the same thing (it would be almost the same as a +3 rear), ie +2 rear will be slightly taller. WIth 0kms it won't fit. with 4,000miles I am 99% sure it will fit. There should be enough slack.

Can I recommend a Stealth sprocket? They're aluminium in the centre like the Vortex ones for light weight, but are steel at the teeth for far better durability.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
change the chain and the frotn sprocket at the same time
do them as a set

as the chain will have worn into the sprocket teeth
a worn chain on a new sprocket will wear teh new sprocket out faster

Slug

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: I finally got a sprocket change at my 4000mi service. Replaced front with a 16T steel Supersprox and the rear with a 48T Supersprox Stealth. The difference down low at stoplights is nice, but not too much. I have noticed the new sprockets are louder (probably the front) such that I can hear them while riding. I would think that might improve some as they wear? I kept the stock chain is it is relatively new and in good shape. The bike rides great, definitely a worthwhile mod for me. I am probably about 1000RPMs higher in 6th gear at 80MPH than I was before. Speedo was off by exactly 10% as measured by GPS, cured fantastically with a speedohealer. The speedohealer could not have been easier to install.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!