4000 mile check-up

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to disagree....

If you keep a bike for a while you'll pay MUCH more for service than you will lose in re-sale value by not having some sort of stamp (in fact, you might not lose anything in re-sale value anyway). Unless you plan to sell you bike with only a few thousand miles on it, you're better off getting the right tools and doing it yourself. The tools pay for themselves immediately and they last forever.

Learning how your bike works is fun and useful. If you break down or encounter a problem, it's great to know how to fix it, or at least whether it's serious or not. You're also more likely to discover problems before they get bad. My dealer decided it would be a good idea to deliver my FZ6 (which he went over 'very carefully with a team of experts) with almost no coolant, a very loose brake caliper, and no air in the tires. Great job guys!

I'm a mechanical idiot (seriously), but in the past few years I've figured out how to change oil and coolant/remove wheels/change chains & sprockets/check valves/change brake pads/replace clutch components/check TB sync and complete basic electrical work. How? Through forums like this one (!), books on motorcycle maintenance, and good service manuals.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone is refering to a manual... It's been a while since I've seen my owners manual (or my bike for that matter, damn WI) but is that the MANUAL to which everyone is refering or is that the service manual? Anyone know where I could download one or print it?

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
From the main menu choose 'FZ6 technical'. In that sub-forum there's a sticky for the various manuals (owners, assembly, and service). These are all from Yamaha.

You can also buy an easier-to-use service manual from Haynes. I don't have one yet, but they include a LOT more pics and assume less technical skill (makes sense - the Yamaha manual assumes you're a service tech).

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that would be the Service Manual. Not the Owner's manual. There is one available for download. I just ordered a printed book from Haynes. I'll let you know how it compares to the online version. But I'm sure it will be the best $40 I can spend on this bike. I'm not sure if the 2008 service manual is available from Kawasaki yet. They are usually relatively expensive, but I purchase one for every vehicle I own. I strip down my dirt bike once a year for cleaning/ checking all bearings and top end maintenance, so I'm fairly confident in my mechanical abilities. Read that as I would never take my bike to the dealer for ANY routine maintenance. I don't have the time to trailer it across town and then be without it for even a few days. Not to mention the prices they charge here.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone is saying to check tightness on everything???? How do I do that and what tools do I need?:confused:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the shop checks the valves to on the 4k service? The only tools you really need are allen wrenches, sockets and screw drivers to tighten everything. The Haynes manual is great. A must buy. I will have 4K in a month or so. I will be taking it to the shop. After that I should be able to do most of it myself. Can't wait to really open er up :Sport: I will be having some photos of my mods this winter. The never ending winter I might add. Not much seat time this winter. :rockon:

Last edited:

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the shop checks the valves to on the 4k service? The only tools you really need are allen wrenches, sockets and screw drivers to tighten everything. The Haynes manual is great. A must buy. I will have 4K in a month or so. I will be taking it to the shop. After that I should be able to do most of it myself. Can't wait to really open er up :Sport: I will be having some photos of my mods this winter. The never ending winter I might add. Not much seat time this winter. :rockon:

I did not take it to the shop at 4k. I just had a friend help help me change the oil. So any bolts I see I should just tighten??

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not take it to the shop at 4k. I just had a friend help help me change the oil. So any bolts I see I should just tighten??

That is correct. Get a good torque wrench (I prefer the clicker type) and pull out your manual (it has torque specs in it) and tighten every nut/bolt/screw you can get to.