4 piston calipers vs 6 calipers

lennox

Reaction score
Visit site
4 piston calipers vs 2 piston calipers

I have an 04 FZ6 with 2 piston calipers on the front brakes. i have been thinking about locating some 4 piston calipers from an FZ6 07-present. has anyone tried this swap, and if so did you notice much of a difference in brake response?

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the 04s had 2 piston calipers as my 09 has 4 piston calipers. Having only ridden an 09 I can't comment.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
if you have a 04 with stock brakes then you have 2 pistons per caliper at the front

07+ have 4 piston calipers

now if you want 6 piston calipers you would need to adapt them from a r1 or something like that :D

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, the '04s have 2-piston calipers, the later ones have 4.

Doubt that you would feel that much difference between the two to really be worth it. If you want to improve the braking feel and responsiveness, go to stainless-steel-braided brake lines and better pads, like the EBC HH-level pads.

I did these both front and rear, made a fantastic difference in both feel and consistency.

Good luck

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a big difference between the 2 pot calipers and the 4 pots the newer one have way better brakes. You could put some gaass brackets on then mount up some 4 pot calipers.

lennox

Reaction score
Visit site
if you have a 04 with stock brakes then you have 2 pistons per caliper at the front

07+ have 4 piston calipers

now if you want 6 piston calipers you would need to adapt them from a r1 or something like that :D

yeah you are correct i am mixing up my numbers.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Re: 2 piston calipers vs 4 calipers

I did the R6 fork / brake mod to my 2004 FZ6 and it really improved the braking. I also switched to braided steel front brake lines at the same time, so that helped even more.

I did a track day with the stock 2004 two piston calipers and I didn't experience fade, but they weren't the strongest feeling either. I really like the R6 calipers on there now.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i did the conversion.. you need different fork legs and fender tho.. the brakes are a tad better but not the whoa sensation you would expect, i honestly tought they were gonna be better feeling but its not such a dramatic difference. i have kept the stock brake lines so i can compare performance. (the stock 06 lines fit but cannot be attached to the fender so they remain a bit dangling in the air) i want to change to braided lines maybe goodridge to improve perfomance when funds permit

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
+07 calipers have 100mm mouting spacing, the older FZ6 with 2pot calipers are 83mm.

I have custom brake caliper adapters which are mounted with FZ1 calipers (same as all the Yamaha "blue dot" non radial calipers) on my '04 FZ6.

If you where to make custom adapters go for some radial calipers. They will be a lot easy'er to make adapters for!
The newer R6 calipers are a good option, cheap, easy to find on the net and if you need a rebuild any Yam dealer can supply the rebuild kit.
Plus radial calipers weigh less then conventional calipers.

The radial effect (why they were designed) wil become useless with adapters, cause the adapters are still mounted the conventional way.

Gaass ( or something like that ) makes adapters for our bikes so you can mount radial calipers, that's also a good option. Maybe cheaper or more expensive, depends if you can custom adpaters made by a friend or yourself.

Beringer also makes calipers which are direct bold-on. Beringer is a TOP-notch french brand. But they are not cheap. These are 6 pot calipers.

That's about it.

ps: If you are upgrading the brakes to a 4 pot, change MC as well. A good radial MC wil give so much more feedback and braking power. :thumbup:

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I own a fz6 2005 with 2 calipers and my Bro owns a fz6 2008 with 4 calipers.

I've tested them both and I can tell you that I didn't notice that much of a difference.

My brakes feel stronger and better with braided lines and ebc HH pads than my Bro's stock brakes.

IMO save your money for a more useful improvement!