24Kmi Service - What would your dealer charge for these items?

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
My FZ6 Fazer 2008 S2 has recently reached 24K miles and required a service.

I have done everything myself apart from item #3 - Valves and item #24 Fuel injection.

My local Yamaha dealer has quoted 3hrs labour and a final bill of GBP141.00 for checking the valve clearance (#3) and adjusting engine idling speed synchronization (#24).

To carry out a full 24K miles service my dealer would charge GBP350.00.

The cost to do the two items is almost half the full service charge which requires at least 33 items to be carried out.

Does this sound reasonable?

PS I put HEL front brake lines on when I changed the brake fluid and it feels like a have a solid rod linking the lever to the caliper - the feel is amazing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
My FZ6 Fazer 2008 S2 has recently reached 24K miles and required a service.

I have done everything myself apart from item #3 - Valves and item #24 Fuel injection.

My local Yamaha dealer has quoted 3hrs labour and a final bill of GBP141.00 for checking the valve clearance (#3) and adjusting engine idling speed synchronization (#24).

To carry out a full 24K miles service my dealer would charge GBP350.00.

The cost to do the two items is almost half the full service charge which requires at least 33 items to be carried out.

Does this sound reasonable?

PS I put HEL front brake lines on when I changed the brake fluid and it feels like a have a solid rod linking the lever to the caliper - the feel is amazing.

If you've done everything else yourself, I'd invest in a "Carbmate" syncronizer and do it yourself. Its not difficult at all, the procedure is posted in the manual and on this forum as well with lots of pic's/you tubes. The tool shipped to me in the US (from Europe) was under $90. The dealerships down here charge well over $100 for the job. Its paid for itself many times over and I know the jobs been done right.

As for the valve check/adjustment someone just posted doing it themselves. To check it is easier than to adjust it (should it be out of spec's). If you check the clearances and their all within spec, button it up, your done. If you don't feel comfy pulling cams and changing shims, bring the bike to the dealer (already opened up), it'll be quite a bit cheaper as you've got half the work done already. Most bikes (FZ6) don't need adjustment unless run really hard.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I have reviewed whats involved. Carb sync'ing looks simple and the valve check just looks time consuming with the disassembly and reassembly to gain access.
I think I'm going to cancel my booking with the dealer.