2009 R6/R1 Ugly Ugly Fugly

Okay. Claud has discovered a flaw with the R1. There's something you guys should know...uhh..but there's NO WAY I CAN SAY IT! He's saying these weird words and stuff I completely don't understand. Here he is:

Do you remember the "chatter" from the '06 M1? The one that utilized a crossplane crankshaft to trade a disruption in balance for more throttle response? The one that required countless hours of virtual testing; only to be resolved by sudden tweaks by that rider, Valentino Rossi?

Yamaha has declared the same concept on the YZF-R1 of 2009. They have claimed to have perfected the concept; a purposely conducted combustion-cycle with an uneven firing order. The R1 engine used to fire in a sequence from left to right; 1,2,3,4. A 180 degree firing interval. A perfect resonance. The crankshaft balancers would work in opposite of one another to achieve balance and low vibrations. It took slightly more time for the revving cycle to accelerate...

The crankshaft of the new 2009 model is now of a crossplane design. This causes the firing order to change; 1,3,2,4. The firing intervals are uneven. The final word is: response. You are given more throttle response with this setup, without any true gain of power, but now comes the flaw...

Asymmetry. The very fundamental that caused the "chatter..." this was alleviated by adding more counterweights to the crankshaft, but that didn't rid of the final and indefinite problem: wear. Imagine a motor where one chamber works harder than the others, causing asymmetrical wear with the leftmost piston chamber.

Titanium valves? I've always despised the usage of rare materials to achieve something so simple.

Last edited:
Okay. Claud has discovered a flaw with the R1. There's something you guys should know...uhh..but there's NO WAY I CAN SAY IT! He's saying these weird words and stuff I completely don't understand. Here he is:

Do you remember the "chatter" from the '06 M1? The one that utilized a crossplane crankshaft to trade a disruption in balance for more throttle response? The one that required countless hours of virtual testing; only to be resolved by sudden tweaks by that rider, Valentino Rossi?

Yamaha has declared the same concept on the YZF-R1 of 2009. They have claimed to have perfected the concept; a purposely conducted combustion-cycle with an uneven firing order. The R1 engine used to fire in a sequence from left to right; 1,2,3,4. A 180 degree firing interval. A perfect resonance. The crankshaft balancers would work in opposite of one another to achieve balance and low vibrations. It took slightly more time for the revving cycle to accelerate...

The crankshaft of the new 2009 model is now of a crossplane design. This causes the firing order to change; 1,3,2,4. The firing intervals are uneven. The final word is: response. You are given more throttle response with this setup, without any true gain of power, but now comes the flaw...

Asymmetry. The very fundamental that caused the "chatter..." this was alleviated by adding more counterweights to the crankshaft, but that didn't rid of the final and indefinite problem: wear. Imagine a motor where one chamber works harder than the others, causing asymmetrical wear with the leftmost piston chamber.

Titanium valves? I've always despised the usage of rare materials to achieve something so simple.

Um, I've never heard of a four cylinder engine having a firing interval of 1,2,3,4. Just because the R1 uses a crossplane crankshaft doesn't mean the firing order changes. Just the rise and fall of pistons. Standard engines have firing orders of 1,3,4,2, with 180 degrees in between each piston fire.

Sorry to kick an old thread back to life, just wanted to say that....

BB

I have to say that the New CBR 1000 is a disaster to look at! now i agree that the new R1's headlights are different and will take some time getting used to, BUT I would rather slam my genitalia in a door than look at the New CBR 1k!!

Ok that was my opinion I dont want that to ruffle any feathers....have fun go ride, be safe :rockon:

Um, I've never heard of a four cylinder engine having a firing interval of 1,2,3,4. Just because the R1 uses a crossplane crankshaft doesn't mean the firing order changes. Just the rise and fall of pistons. Standard engines have firing orders of 1,3,4,2, with 180 degrees in between each piston fire.

Sorry to kick an old thread back to life, just wanted to say that....

BB

Sorry to burst your bubble BB but a standard engine fires at 1,2,4,3 all at 180 degrees. Crossplane fires at 1,3,2,4 at 270/180/90/180 degrees. The crossplane DOES mean the firing order changes, that is the whole point of it. Feel free to watch this
[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTXMtTTKQw[/nomedia]

People didn't like the new CBR1000RR Fireblade too but then give me that bike anytime, just anytime. The new R1's crossplane cranshaft that eliminates inertia torque and highly improves midrange has got tremendous reviews. I'd buy any of these two bikes in a split second.

Sorry to burst your bubble BB but a standard engine fires at 1,2,4,3 all at 180 degrees. Crossplane fires at 1,3,2,4 at 270/180/90/180 degrees. The crossplane DOES mean the firing order changes, that is the whole point of it. Feel free to watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTXMtTTKQw
Based on video, I saw the flat plane fire in 1,2,4,3 order and the cross plane fire in 1,4,2,3 sequence.
Ok, what you're saying is technically correct; 1,3,2,4 at 270/180/90/180 degrees, but I rarely hear of folks talk of firing order in relation to crank angle. That's where the confusion is coming in.

Last edited:
Based on video, I saw the flat plane fire in 1,2,4,3 order and the cross plane fire in 1,4,2,3 sequence.
Ok, what you're saying is technically correct; 1,3,2,4 at 270/180/90/180 degrees, but I rarely hear of folks talk of firing order in relation to crank angle. That's where the confusion is coming in.

Ok I was a bit wrong there, I thought ours was the same as the R1, but using a standard crank with a 1,3,4,2 firing order. Turns out it's actually a 1,2,4,3 firing order. Doesn't matter that much, I won't be going out and buying an R1 any time soon, and my bike still sounds and feels the same whatever the firing order.

BB

Back