2006 windscreen mod

F

formula154

There is a tall wind shield and a touring windshield from Yamaha.Yamaha FZ6 Accessories, Yamaha FZ6 Windshields

The touring windshield doesn't go down as far as the stock or tall wind shield. So it has an air scoop at the bottom. I cut an opening in the stock screen at the bottom shaped about the same as the opening on the touring screen. It seems to work real good but I have to ride it with my open faced helment to be sure. With the full coverage helment it feels good. Does your screen have that opening at the bottom?

I have both the standard windscreen and touring windscreen and the only difference IMO is that the wind turbulance gets transfered from your chest to your helmet. I looked into buying a seperate spoiler for it but this was not available in the same colour as my (darker) touring windscreen.
On my previous bike (a diversion/Seca) I had a windscreen which had a kinda postbox slit in it about 3/4 up, this worked excelent, no turbulance at all (well non you could feel). I am now tempted to try doing the same thing on my touring windscreen, and if it doesn't work just simply take it down a notch and do steve's windscreen Mod.

Mike I think you've got the right idea as I have read that the turbulance is created by the low and high pressure regions meeting, so you have to try and eliminate the vacuum behind the windscreen to reduce the turbulance.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve thanks for the how-too. did this last weekend. Looks great and much better than the givi tall windscreen that I had. I ride on the hwy a lot about 200km's a day for work, and although it is windy it is constant and more than livable.
The stock and givi windscreens I have seem to concentrate the turbulence and unfortunately if your sitting upright it will concentrate on to your head. After cutting it it seems to be just constant wind over the whole upper body rather than just on my head.

Hooorraaayy...someone has done it and find it works as well.

Whoever was worried about cutting along the line. The screen cuts very easily, even with an old hacksaw.

Steve

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I might have to give this a try. I just put a racing puig db on my bike but havent gotten the chance to try it out. I def need a windscreen for the late nights and rain protection, its one of the reasons i got an fz6! looks good and good job! very brave!

E

exhaust

I cut my 08 Puig racing screen down also. I like it much better.
011-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-2.jpg

018.jpg

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Here are some pic's. I don't know how well they will show up. On one of the pic's you can see where I cut a wedge out of my screen. It works a lot better now.

Cool. That's what I wanted to try myself (the hole in the windscreen, not the mustache... ;) ).

Can you feel any significant air blast flowing on the inside of the windscreen?

F

formula154

Cool. That's what I wanted to try myself (the hole in the windscreen, not the mustache... ;) ).

Can you feel any significant air blast flowing on the inside of the windscreen?

The hole wont work with out the mustache.
There is no wind "blast" on the inside. If I put my hand between the wind screen and the back of the speedo I can feel some air flow but not much. Over all thd effect of the wind is much less. I could be wrong but I don't think the wind from the hole hits the rider. I think it flows up the inside of the screen. A lot of air comes through between the lip and main screen but it goes up the inside of the lip and not toward the rider.

F

formula154

J/K is that a laminar lip? talk about that for a sec.[/QUOTE]

WHOA LOOKOUT! MARK TWAIN IS ABOUT TO JACK YOUR BIKE!

Good one. It took me a sec. to catch on.
Yes it is a lip. It was pretty flat across the top. The lip reduced the turbulence but it was still hitting me in the face (5'7"). I trimmed a little off the corners of the lip so it isn't as flat on top. That spread the turbulence out , less concentrated in the face. I can feel turbulence on my fore arms now where I couldn't be fore but there is less in my face. All in all I am glad I cut the hole in the front of the screen and trimmed the edges of the lip. I am tempted to take the lip off and trim the corners on the stock screen now. I am pretty sure I will want the lip back on when it starts getting cooler.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Did this mod today on my '08. I have mixed feelings about the results. I like the look of it. I only took about 1.75 inches off. There is more wind on my helmet, but it does seem a little less turbulent. This was only a 30 mile ride home, though. I may have to take more off, but don't want it to look funny.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Did this mod today on my '08. I have mixed feelings about the results. I like the look of it. I only took about 1.75 inches off. There is more wind on my helmet, but it does seem a little less turbulent. This was only a 30 mile ride home, though. I may have to take more off, but don't want it to look funny.

Looks good.

You 07+ owners are lucky since Yamaha realized that there needed to be a hole in the bottom of the windscreen and put it there for you guys. Plus, you get the real tachometer too, which is a definite plus.

I always wanted to ride a stock 07+ FZ6 to see how the wind blast compared to my 04 model.

F

formula154

Yes I think the scoop at the bottom is a big improvement.Is that the stock screen or a touring screen? I may cut a little more off the bottom of my screen and see how that works.

Looks good.

You 07+ owners are lucky since Yamaha realized that there needed to be a hole in the bottom of the windscreen and put it there for you guys. Plus, you get the real tachometer too, which is a definite plus.

I always wanted to ride a stock 07+ FZ6 to see how the wind blast compared to my 04 model.

F

formula154

I think if you trim some off the corners so that the screen is a little more pointed there will be less turbulence hitting your head.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
I may do that. I'll be going for a good 200 mile ride tomorrow. So, that should give me a good idea of whether I like it or not.

I think if you trim some off the corners so that the screen is a little more pointed there will be less turbulence hitting your head.

Edit 8-3-08. I have decided that I like this mod overall. It does make my helmet whistle more with the increased wind, but the buffetting and some of the lower frequency noises are reduced.

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I lost one of my earplugs and had to ride to work on my 2004 FZ6 (Puig DB) with only an earplug in my left ear. Holy crap was my right ear hurting from the wind noise by the time I got to work....

I'm wondering if I could mock up some designs with some other material before cutting a real windshield. Maybe some thick cardboard or something? I have some thinner bendable plexiglass, but I doubt that I could mold it into the correct shape. Then again, maybe I could heat it up with my heat gun and lay it on top of the original shield?

The only things that I don't like about my FZ6 are:
- The wind noise
- The crappy looking rear swingarm
- The crappy rear shock

Last edited: