2006 vs. 2007-2009 FZ6

Blur125

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a newb to this forum and apologize if this is a repeat. I am torn between buying a used 2006 FZ6 or a 2007 FZ6. Both of these years have significant differences as far as components and performance. My primary source is this wiki article: Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My biggest concern is the dramatic difference in horsepower. (06:97HP/07:76HP) Any riders out there have direct experience with these two bikes? All other improvements on the 07' are awesome.

I have two years of riding under my belt now on a Ninjette and have recently sold it. Ready for an upgrade, but plan to hold on to the next bike for a while and want to make a good choice. Some previous forums I've read on this subject don't really go into detail in regards to the difference in HP, though they rave about the change in Fuel Mapping being a great improvement over previous years for low-end torque.

Obviously either bike is a dramatic improvement over the ninjette, but I'd love to hear from the veteran FZ6 riders out there.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
The chart on Wikipedia is a little misleading. US versions of the FZ6 have retained the same HP (97HP at the crank) throughout it's run here. The other number are for the Euro version of the bikes.

Having owned an 2005 FZ6 and now a 2009 FZ6, it's a no brainer for me, 2007+ all the way. The fuel mapping is a big improvement, as is the swingarm and re-designed fairing plastics and gage cluster.

Good luck!!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Blur125! I'm also in Sacramento. Maybe we can head out somewhere someday? No horsepower difference, yeah, between '06 & '07+. I would opt for an '07 later if price is good. 2006 year is good but, as already said, some model changes start with the 2007.

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the fairing and headlights on the 2004-2006, but the better brakes, fuel injection, and gauges make the 07+ more attractive overall.

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Have an 04 myself & mate has an 08, no difference in acceleration or fuel economy, both of us note my 04 has stronger brakes, but was second hand & may have better pads fitted. otherwise they feel the same. do like the swingarm on the later models tho, looks much nicer.

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was shopping for mine I was specifically looking for 07+ - just because of instrument cluster.
I love analogue tach and digital speedo combo.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 2006 is faster because I own one.

:)

Get the one that is best for your wallet. They are all great.

Andy Mc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have UK model 2008 FZ6 is the only way to find out the horsepower rating of my bike a dyno??

I thought it would tell me in the tax book but its left out. Is there any other way to find out using your licence plate??

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like the second horsepower rating is for the FZ6R which is a totally different version.,,,