2006 FZ6 vs 2009 FZ6R

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in a shop the other day, and a ninja 650r and a fz6r were sitting next to each other...and i couldn't help notice how similar they look... to me the fz6r is just a bike yamaha made to fill a consumer gap, whereas the fz6 was made to show what yamaha can do when they put effort into a bike (obviously all my biased opinion). Also don't pull any wheelies if you get an SV650 unless you plan on rebuilding your front cylinder regularly :thumbup: (been looking into the sv650 as an alternative as well and appears to be a very good bike and it has quite a cult following) either way let us know what you do and post us some pics when you do!

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I may be wrong but I belive the R has about 20 hp less than the Z6. I have a 06 and it gets around really good. As someone has already said, save your money to buy some gear or use it for some good mods.
Doc

thelostjs

Reaction score
Visit site
when i found out yamaha was to discontinue the fz6 i cursed.

i found out about the fully faired fz6r when i was searching for cycles on ebay. i noticed a brand new 2009 fz6r for an amazing 5999. i got excited. researched this new fully faired version and then i cursed.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind the ergos are more aggressive on the FZ6 than the 650R - and possibly the FZ6R. I looked at buying a 650R before the FZ6 (got rid of my R6 due to neck pain) mainly because its super comfortable ergos. I've got the pullback brackets on the phazer, but it's still not quite there (I think I'm going to have to be on a cruiser before my neck is satisfied, though, unfortunately - we're talking "Why does it feel like there's a wedge being driven into the back of my neck?" after I get off work before ever getting on a motorcycle, so YMMV).

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as luck would have it the FZ6 I was going to buy tonight was sold earlier today.

I can still get the 2009 FZ6R, but someone had pointed out that the Suzuki SV650 might be a choice worth considering. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? I would prefer a 4 cylinder over the V2, but that may just be because I have not riden a V twin yet. I would think the 4 cylinder would be smoother, but I really don't know.

The FZ6's are real hard to find around here, haven't looked for an SC650 yet. I would prefer the FZ6. Some private parties have one, but I'd rather put it on a credit card (low interest rate and bonus points).

Thanks in advance!

The SV650 is a vtwin so it will be a little buzzier at interstate speeds and will have more low end torque. So yes the straight 4 of the Yami will be smoother and since it has a smaller head size it will last longer and be more reliable. i just got a sweet deal on a brand new 09 at my dealer and everyone said not to buy the FZ6R.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
The SV650 is a vtwin so it will be a little buzzier at interstate speeds and will have more low end torque. So yes the straight 4 of the Yami will be smoother and since it has a smaller head size it will last longer and be more reliable. i just got a sweet deal on a brand new 09 at my dealer and everyone said not to buy the FZ6R.

Thats pretty subjective it seems. Did a quick search just out of curiosity to see what kind of longevity is being reported for sv650's I was mildly surprised

Who's got the most miles? - Page 2 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
I just sold an SV650N after 3 years of riding it. They make 2 models of the bike faired and naked standard version. I had the Naked version. Out of the factory it needs firming up in the front end and better front brakes. Some guys add gixer front ends. The rear end gets fixed with a zx10 shock. The FZ6 is faster up top but the SV650 is a hell of a bike. My favorite bike of all time. Great for a beginner or racer. I got bored with it after 3 years...Most bike I;m done with after a year or two. The bike does everything well nice and smooth no extra's but the bike just works. You have to ride one to see what I mean. great all rounder. I sold my 2003 for 3500 and picked up the fz6 for 1500 so it was a no brainer. For commuting I would go with the SV650 long distance and not so much shifting , higher speed go withthe fz6...just my 2 cents...

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as luck would have it the FZ6 I was going to buy tonight was sold earlier today.

I can still get the 2009 FZ6R, but someone had pointed out that the Suzuki SV650 might be a choice worth considering. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? I would prefer a 4 cylinder over the V2, but that may just be because I have not riden a V twin yet. I would think the 4 cylinder would be smoother, but I really don't know.

The FZ6's are real hard to find around here, haven't looked for an SC650 yet. I would prefer the FZ6. Some private parties have one, but I'd rather put it on a credit card (low interest rate and bonus points).

Thanks in advance!

Found one for you:
05 yamaha fz6

It's nearly the same as the one you wanted to buy... only cheaper. Offer $3K and maybe go as high as $3200.

The SV650 is a great bike too. Can't go wrong with it. I would have considered one myself but my legs are too long and don't jive with the shape of the tank.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I really appreciate all the help here guys. The guy that was going to buy the 2006 FZ6 I was looking at couldn't get financing on a used bike. They called me Monday afternoon to let me know the bike was still available, so I picked it up Tuesday evening.

Here are some pictures. So far I've put 100 miles on it, and have loved every one of them!!

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I really appreciate all the help here guys. The guy that was going to buy the 2006 FZ6 I was looking at couldn't get financing on a used bike. They called me Monday afternoon to let me know the bike was still available, so I picked it up Tuesday evening.

Here are some pictures. So far I've put 100 miles on it, and have loved every one of them!!

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Sweet looking bike . . . and like the side fairings too !!

cough cough - you've got a head light out ;)
check this -

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking bike . . . and like the side fairings too !!

cough cough - you've got a head light out ;)
check this -

He's right, I just ordered the wire from bd43 and it was a very easy job. You'll learn how to lift the gas tank up, pull the battery box, and pull the air box, which are all good things to know, but hell you're a certified mechanic so you should be able to do this flawlessly on 12 beers. And the benefit, if it isn't clear, is that you are MUCH more visible to oncoming cars with both low beams a-blazin'. (And it looks cool.)

And CONGRATS. Sweet looking bike.