2005 fz6 , top end ticking ???

2000xr250

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 2005 fz6 it currently has 12000 kms . it has had a ticking noise in the top end for the last few thousand kms . had a mechanic's stescope and sounds like its on the left side of the engine . When you first start the bike up there's no tick it sounds like new , when the bike gets up to temp it starts to tick . Is this normal ? recently had the plugs changed and new airfilter . Has anyone else had this problem ?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
If it was on the right side I would say the timing chain tensioner. I replaced mine at about 9,000 and it made a difference. That was 16,000 miles ago and I need to pull it out and check it again. The right side is the side to your right when sitting on the bike.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was on the right side I would say the timing chain tensioner. I replaced mine at about 9,000 and it made a difference. That was 16,000 miles ago and I need to pull it out and check it again. The right side is the side to your right when sitting on the bike.

I have heard of the tensioner making a sound but not at 9,000 miles. Seems many FZ6 owners have gone well over 25,000 miles with no issues on the tensioner (unless it's a 2004/2005 problem?)

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
ticking could be injectors, valves could be loose (would make excessive noise), or cam chain noise. Remove the tensioner and blow it out with compressed air and clean it with fresh oil, then check the play on it.

I have 1 loose exhaust valve by a slight margin and you wouldnt believe the clatter it makes.