2004 vs. 2009

Ferreus

Reaction score
Visit site
Would appreciate your thoughts on the following two bikes:

1) 2004 FZ6 - 19,000 miles; 2 owners; no mods; no accessories; never been wrecked/dropped/laid down; no maintenance documentation; faster blue; $2000. I don't know if the tech recalls have been done or not (going to look at the bike in the next day or so), but I talked with the local shop and they'll take care of them if not already done.

2) 2009 FZ6 - 14,000 miles; 2 owners; new fork oil (owner wanted fresh oil and better handling); no mods; no accessories; never been wrecked/dropped/laid down; no maintenance documentation; stealthier black; $3000

I like the black color better and the fact that's it's only five years old vice 10. Also, didn't the '04's have FI issues? On the other hand, the $1000 difference would allow me to get some accessories like luggage. But, as one member on here said in another thread, "a 7 year old bike that has LOW MILES is likely to be a greater problem child than one that has been ridden for 7 years!!"

I'm torn. Thoughts?

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Like the 09 better. Either one should give you lots of service but the S2 has several improvements over the S1. The FI on the S2 is a little smoother I think but not a huge difference but I've never ridden one. The early ones were tough on steering head bearings so would have to inspect and repack at least. Also it is getting closer to 26,000 miles which is the valve inspection point. Absent documentation that shows it has been done you should do a through fluid greasing of the bike particularly the 04. Stuff like clean/inspect/repack head bearings, swingarm bearings, change oil, brake fluid air filter etc. At 19,000 miles the chain may be nearing the end of it's life if it hasn't been well taken care of.

The FZ6 is a very well designed and built bike and will last for many years. I had 46,000 miles on mine when I sold it and would not hesitate to buy another one with the mileage you are looking at. If you can get one with less miles for the same money then I would. I sold my 04 two years ago with 46,000 miles on it and it was as strong as the day I bought it with 2,800 miles on it. I'll always remember riding it home. It was a big step up from the Ninja 250.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I would get the 2009 $3K, and is a good deal. I bought mine 2007 FZ6 9k miles for $3500 last year and been riding it to 16K miles now perfect (FYI mine is only for commute). And the best part is you get the last model of FZ as they didn't make it anymore after 2009 (in my knowledge)..better brake 2007-2009 4 piston front brake and lot of goodies you will find 2007-2009 model. (just ask the guy to put on the selling price like $500 to save some $$ on the registration :) )

The FZ is pretty good bike as my co-worker's ridden 2007 FZ1 for 100K mile, he just rebuilt his stator when it was failed at 80K miles..I hope I could ride up to that point to save money for a Benz LOL!

Good luck!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd favor the newer one for the upgraded brakes, swing arm, analog tach, wind shield options, easier resale down the road.

Since you have no maintenance documentation, plan on at least changing the plugs and all fluids. Check the date code on the tires as well and consider replacing immediately if the rubber is old.

Test ridden either yet?