2004 Shorty Exhaust

hawksfootball29

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been trying to search to see if they make a shorty exhaust for the 2004 FZ6 and haven't been able to find anything. I was gunna try and use this one
09-10 Yamaha FZ6R Competition Werkes Slip On Exhaust Ti | eBay
With some slight fab. it looks like it would be possible but you never really can tell until its all in front of you. Does anyone have any insight into helping me achieve this?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been trying to search to see if they make a shorty exhaust for the 2004 FZ6 and haven't been able to find anything. I was gunna try and use this one
09-10 Yamaha FZ6R Competition Werkes Slip On Exhaust Ti | eBay
With some slight fab. it looks like it would be possible but you never really can tell until its all in front of you. Does anyone have any insight into helping me achieve this?

This is more like an exhaust tip then anything. Quite sure it's not what you need... Not sure what you mean by shorty exhaust... Have you look at GTYR exhaust? It short...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've observed some FZ6 bikes in the past that were fitted with the R6 style shorty exhaust that exits low, and just in front of the rear tire.

It will probably take some fabrication, but if you have access to the tools, it shouldn't be too complicated. This might be a good opportunity to remove the catalytic converter if your bike is equipped with one.

Of course, you'll have to do something to fill in the hole left on the rear of the bike where the undertail exhaust used to be.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this what you're looking for?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q_xyOzufk&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - ‪T's FZ6R w/ Marthy Edition Exhaust‬‏[/ame]

I could hook you up... I build a few of those for the guys on the 6R forum.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! is it just the slip-on or do I need different headers as well. Also, about how much is it for one?

Not sure how well those fit the FZ6? Might have to remove the center stand. Other than that it should fit. Those are stock 6R headers that I cut and fit a collector + Viper racing can. You will need a PCV with this set up for sure.

www.marthymotorcycleexhaustsolution.com

I can work a good deal with you since you will be the first FZ6 with this set-up.:rockon:

Last edited:

hawksfootball29

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds great! Center stand is long gone so that's no problem and from what I can tell the layout should work. Unfortunately on my way home tonight I picked up a nail in my back tire so looks like that's gunna take priority over an exhaust for the time being. As soon as I can get that worked out I'll contact you.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you do a system where the center stand is left on, but still do the single side can?

Maybe? I had a few people asking me with the 6R. 2003-5 R6 GTYR can might fit but not sure. If you can find or have on of those can I will send you a headers to test. Would be nice to see if it fit.

Do you have a fuel controller? (PCV or something like that)

I notice that most of FZ6 owner change slip-on but can get away without a PCV. I firmly believe that it will be require with a 2" short open exhaust...

Let me know...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
how are you thinking of doing for the undertail set up:confused:....that seems like alot of work to hide what use to be there to make the bike look right

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Having a single can that exits low seems like the perfect low $ exhaust for this bike.. that is until you consider the cavernous double hole left by removing the underseat exhaust. If someone could come up with an insert to plug that space, that looks stock you would really be on to something. Not having any creative genes whatsoever, I went with the Leo Vince aftermaket exhaust. It fits well, sounds great and looks like that is how Yamaha intended it

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Having a single can that exits low seems like the perfect low $ exhaust for this bike.. that is until you consider the cavernous double hole left by removing the underseat exhaust. If someone could come up with an insert to plug that space, that looks stock you would really be on to something.

It was suggested in another thread to go to a R6 tail end to tidy up the area, where the exhaust was.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe? I had a few people asking me with the 6R. 2003-5 R6 GTYR can might fit but not sure. If you can find or have on of those can I will send you a headers to test. Would be nice to see if it fit.

Do you have a fuel controller? (PCV or something like that)

I notice that most of FZ6 owner change slip-on but can get away without a PCV. I firmly believe that it will be require with a 2" short open exhaust...
So if I was to pull measurements and put them on a picture of my FZ6 would that help for you to decide if it would work or not? A fuel controller would be an option as I have looked at them, but it wouldn't do much for me with everything stock. I don't have access to a can currently as most locals have harleys.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I was to pull measurements and put them on a picture of my FZ6 would that help for you to decide if it would work or not? A fuel controller would be an option as I have looked at them, but it wouldn't do much for me with everything stock. I don't have access to a can currently as most locals have harleys.

Sound good. Take pictures and measurements. Send it to this email...
[email protected]

I will let you know if I need more measurement. For the exhaust can you can check out ebay. The earlier R6 model had a 2" inlet, the newer one have 1 7/8" if I'm right. If you get the can and ship it to me I will supply the header part. I have a header I got from ebay with few scratches... should be good enough for R&D.

For the fuel controller, I got my PCV from - Home - Indysuperbikes By far the cheapest! ($265.00 or so)

That would be nice to make something work. All you need to get is your exhaust can. The header and labor is on me.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I will get the measurements for you, though it will be tomorrow evening before I can.

No problem... It look like I'll be having a busy weekend ahead. Need to get up at 4:30am in the morning for a 10K race, then 12:00 to work on an old school Ferrari (Getting Restore) Dinner party later on in the evening. Might work Sunday too... But I'll check my email thru the weekend.

Thanks