2004 fz6

• Thread starter Deleted member 24810
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24810

Hello all,

I may be buying a 2004 FZ6 tomorrow with 17000kms on it. The main concern I have with it is the exhaust headers being tarnished and the clutch. What are the headers made of? What's a quick fix for the tarnish on them? Also, clutch lever doesn't seem to want to rebound as it should. Anything I can adjust to fix that?

Also, are all North American versions 98hp?

Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch most likely just needs some good lubrication. I believe a light weight motor oil is what is recommended but any good cable lube will do. Chrome or metal polish with muscle and patience for the pipes. :welcome:

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
The headers all tarnish....Just the heat from the exhaust. On the clutches, they all have an extremely short throw. If they are adjusted so they engage closer to the handlebar, at least mine, the last 1/4 inch or so the lever doesn't return. You might want to check the antifreeze if you buy it, mine was low mileage but the antifreeze was toast. Very easy to change.

D

Deleted member 24810

The clutch most likely just needs some good lubrication. I believe a light weight motor oil is what is recommended but any good cable lube will do. Chrome or metal polish with muscle and patience for the pipes. :welcome:

I'm guessing auto sol will do the trick for the pipes then.

The headers all tarnish....Just the heat from the exhaust. On the clutches, they all have an extremely short throw. If they are adjusted so they engage closer to the handlebar, at least mine, the last 1/4 inch or so the lever doesn't return. You might want to check the antifreeze if you buy it, mine was low mileage but the antifreeze was toast. Very easy to change.

I'll check that. Also, are all North American models 98hp?

Thanks.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
What's a quick fix for the tarnish on them? Also, clutch lever doesn't seem to want to rebound as it should. Anything I can adjust to fix that?

What do you mean by tarnish ? Some kind of residue or just discoloration ?

I've cleaned residue from my pipes using steel wool (i think it was 0000 type) with very good results. Steelwool is like sandpaper but it's not scraping hard metals.

D

Deleted member 24810

What do you mean by tarnish ? Some kind of residue or just discoloration ?

I've cleaned residue from my pipes using steel wool (i think it was 0000 type) with very good results. Steelwool is like sandpaper but it's not scraping hard metals.

A bit of residue and quite a bit of discolouration.