2004 Fuel Injection Upgrade

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing the ECU on their 04 FZ6 with a 2006 or newer ECU. I was thinking that since in 06 and later they made the fuel injection sequental... that maybe you could just replace the ECU. I have no idea whether there's anything else that needs to change, but if they just remapped the way the FI works, then this should be the answer right? I didn't see ECU's on the "FZ6-FZ1-R6-R6S-R1-FJR Compatibility Chart". LMK what you think and if you know the answer ... especially let me know.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Yeah, I was going to say O2 sensor as well. I guess the real question is, how different is the connector? If it's the same connector with additional pins for the O2 sensor, then it may be as simple as adding pins and wiring up the sensor's signal, ground and heater wires as needed.

Come to think of it, where is the ECU on the FZ6? I haven't encountered it yet in my various explorations into the bike. If it's not too hard to get to, I can get a photo of the 07 ECU and connector for you.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The ECU is roughly underneath where the tank connects to the frame, next to the seat.

also note only 07+ have O2 sensors.

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the 2006 have an 02 sensor too? I would love to see some connector pix for an 06 or above... preferably 06.

Do you guys think I would even notice the difference? The improved fuel mapping would probably just increase hp barely, smooth out any possible idle problems and increase fuel efficiency. Might rev easier too

... I just bought a 2004 with 8600 miles on Tuesday. ;) $1100 just because it's got a little bit of road rash (and the guy threw in all new fairings gas tank etc. plus full leathers, gloves untouched shoei helmet etc.) WOOT! Anybody want to buy a gray gas tank with a small dent in the side? I'll post it up officially later.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You got a bike, new parts, and gear for $1,100?!
Guy must've stolen them ;)

The 2006 does NOT have an O2 sensor. The motor and ECU is identical to the 2004 and 2005's. The only difference comes from the S2 models which are 2007 and up.

Syncing your throttle bodies and getting a power commander and a dynotune will do more than buying a new ECU. After a custom map and syncing the throttle bodies, my bike runs amazing.

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
All I know is he had the original recipt for the bike (8900 after tax etc.) The Title and a box of goodies some of which still had the tags. I totally scored. I just had to bring some jumper cables to make sure it would start and run well since it had been sitting since 05. Since he put a new gas tank on I didn't even have to dump the old fuel.

Well... Wikipedia begs to differ. In fact it answers my question of what the new FI mappings do... Low end torque and problems stalling. Now i just need to make sure the connector will fit / it's replaceable. I bet the dealer would know... they must have to replace them if they get damaged. Don't think I'm willing to spend over $5o though. I'll have to start looking for wrecked 06's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FZ6

BTW: Do you guys think this belongs under this category... Seems like this forum has lots of sections but not too many useful ones.

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Search ebay for the 07+ ECU, O2 sensor and header pipes (O2 sensor goes in there) and let us know how it worked out. I may do this if it is cheap. That is the last piece of the puzzle in my 07+ conversion.

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
Search ebay for the 07+ ECU, O2 sensor and header pipes (O2 sensor goes in there) and let us know how it worked out. I may do this if it is cheap. That is the last piece of the puzzle in my 07+ conversion.

I don't believe the 06 has the 02 sensor (according to SovietRobot, Thanks!) and you don't really need it. In fact, the air box mod that everyone's doing is made mostly useless by the 02 sensor. The 02 sensor Just makes the engine run cleaner and more efficient. If I was lazy there's an 06 ecu sitting on ebay right now. I bet it would work. Actually if I got an 07+ I could just put a resistor on the 02 sensor and that would adjust your AF mix. That's what all those ADD HORSE POWER! items on ebay are ... resistors so you just dump extra fuel in the cylinder. The only real negative is emissions go up. So in the end... I doubt the 07+ would be much different from the 06 setup as it sounds like the motor hasn't really changed.

I think I'll probably pass on this whole thing unless I actually see an issue riding. Just thought I would bring it up since I don't think it has been discussed. This seems like a relatively small community.

My next thread may be a DIY for retrofitting TSX projectors and HID's into the fz6 housing. Anybody know if anyone has done this yet? I just finished my RSX retrofit and It's pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
The only reason I even thought of this, was because a review had said the 2004 had some issues with the fuel injection.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Zanch, maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no stalling, rough idle or other problems with my '04. I've ridden several '06s and '07s, the power curve seems very much the same (no flat spots specific to mine). Mine's faster of course.

I want to add an aftermarket exhaust, but then I'm into a PowerCommander and some custom maps. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stop myself, but I'm also hesitant to maybe screw up a good thing.

Maybe a good diagnostic on the bike would be in order before you start throwing parts at it.

Good luck

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The 05's had issues with the Throttle Position Sensor, which caused the stalling.

If you get the 2007+ ECU, you might have to get the whole harness for the bike to have the O2 sensor connector, then the headers and mid pipe off of an 07. That's way too much work and money for really nothing.

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
The only reason I even thought of this, was because a review had said the 2004 had some issues with the fuel injection.

Like I said... nothing is really wrong I just saw a review that had commented on the weaknesses of the 04. Also, just listening to the bike when it idles will give away that it's not the most well balanced motor (runs fine does everything it is supposed to just not what you would hear from for example a new car that's fuel injected). I would think a fuel injected bike would absolutely purr like a kitten. But yes I agree, the reason they did a batch fuel mapping is because it was cheap and relatively efficient. Newer tech does however come down in price and performance reliability etc. is improved with every new bike (hopefully... especially while minimizing newly created problems). This is just a new toy and research had brought me to this question. I figured if I could get a 2006 ecu for $20 or something I could get an easy upgrade.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said... nothing is really wrong I just saw a review that had commented on the weaknesses of the 04. Also, just listening to the bike when it idles will give away that it's not the most well balanced motor (runs fine does everything it is supposed to just not what you would hear from for example a new car that's fuel injected). I would think a fuel injected bike would absolutely purr like a kitten. But yes I agree, the reason they did a batch fuel mapping is because it was cheap and relatively efficient. Newer tech does however come down in price and performance reliability etc. is improved with every new bike (hopefully... especially while minimizing newly created problems). This is just a new toy and research had brought me to this question. I figured if I could get a 2006 ecu for $20 or something I could get an easy upgrade.

Sync your throttle bodies.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06, as do many others.....once they have been put in for the recall...there is NO problem's...they run identically to 07 & 08"s.

:thumbup:

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
The 05's had issues with the Throttle Position Sensor, which caused the stalling.

If you get the 2007+ ECU, you might have to get the whole harness for the bike to have the O2 sensor connector, then the headers and mid pipe off of an 07. That's way too much work and money for really nothing.

I investigated this... and there is a recall on the TPS for the 2004 model as well. I wonder if this was the real issue that so many reviewers blamed on FI. In order to help everyone out (this is also in other threads) I'm posting a recall finder website put up by the US government.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
Zanch, maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no stalling, rough idle or other problems with my '04. I've ridden several '06s and '07s, the power curve seems very much the same (no flat spots specific to mine). Mine's faster of course.

I want to add an aftermarket exhaust, but then I'm into a PowerCommander and some custom maps. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stop myself, but I'm also hesitant to maybe screw up a good thing.

Who said anything about stalling?

Maybe a good diagnostic on the bike would be in order before you start throwing parts at it.

Good luck

Maybe I should richen it a bit then... I bought the bike with a scorpion exhaust already installed. I'll have to search the threads ... I know somebody had mentioned that they had just done a +3 or something on the display to richen the AF mix and that got them the best dyno results. Not sure what it will do for longevity reliability etc. but if the exhaust leans it out it'd probably be a good thing to do overall.

Last edited:

Dean J

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, apologies for diggin up a way old thread..... but -

Did anyone ever look into just how compatible the 07+ injection is with the 2004?

The reason i want to change is because i want to run a Bazzazz efi controller with the self mapping module and programmable Traction control ( based on rev spikes indicating wheel slip - fully programmable so doesnt have to stop wheelie fun etc!).
Problem is Bazzazz only make this system for the 07+, so i need an 07+ injection setup....

Now please, im no fool, and i know in some ways i am simply throwing away good money, but this bike is a full one off project, and i want to do it my way. Im not asking if anyone thinks its a good idea etc, im simply asking if it will work!

Thanks in advance!