2 Test Drives today: F4i & FZ6

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I test drove an 06 F4i this morning. Had an awesome time and I absolutely loved the bike. Then this afternoon, I test drove an 06 FZ6. Very different bikes. My only experience with riding so far was on my MSF course and the GS500 I've been riding over the last year, so today was the first time I've ever ridden anything over a 500. I've had so many issues with the GS, that I'm ready to move up and forget about the GS. Being a 6'3'' big guy, I've been looking for bike with comfortable riding positions mostly.

I was surprised how much low end torque the FZ6 had, much more than the F4i. It actually surprised me more than the F4i did. I was also surprised how comfortable the F4i was, although I only rode it about 15 minutes. I thought the F4i had much better handling, smooth power delivery, and although it shouldn't be the deciding factor, I thought it's a much 'cooler looking' bike...lol. The FZ6 is definitely no slouch though. I thought it had more than enough power for my needs, though I didn't feel as confident on it as much as the F4i. At times it was very jumpy. Considering these experiences alone, the F4i wins.

Now both bikes are the same year, 2006, and both basically stock. The F4i's KBB value is roughly 4500, and the selling price is 4500. The F4i has 6500 miles. It also has one small scratch on the right side fairing and a small crack in the upper cowling. The tires are stock and will probably need to be changed within a 1000 miles or so. Full coverage insurance is about 625/year.

The FZ6's KBB value is roughly 4000, and selling price is 3600. The FZ6 has 1500 miles on it (guy lives 2 miles from work, and has never been on the highway). Cosmetically it is absolutely perfect, not a single scratch or ding anywhere. The tires are stock as well, and they look practically brand new. The same full coverage insurance is 325/year. So if I bought the FZ6, right off the bat, I'd be saving 900 and another 300 in insurance. On the value side and the fact that this FZ6 is basically a brand new bike, the FZ6 wins.

I realize this is an FZ6 forum, but put the fact that you own an FZ aside (if that's possible...lol), and tell me your opinion on which bike is the better choice and why. In case you're wondering, mostly the type of riding I do is around town or to/from work.

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, as you're buying a used bike, you may want to consider not carrying full coverage, depending on where you live and where the bike will be kept.

As to which bike, only you can make that call. I recently sold my FZ6 and have been tooling around on a friends Honda 919. I like the 919, maybe more than I liked the FZ6 (low-end torque) and I really liked the FZ6 (better in the mid's, but very flickable).

One thing to consider, the lean on the F4i is almost 30%, whereas the lean on the FZ6 is only 15%. (cycle-ergo.com)

Do you want to be spending that much time on your wrists? Unless you've got large wrists, it will get tiresome, fast.

Hope this helps.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, as you're buying a used bike, you may want to consider not carrying full coverage, depending on where you live and where the bike will be kept.

As to which bike, only you can make that call. I recently sold my FZ6 and have been tooling around on a friends Honda 919. I like the 919, maybe more than I liked the FZ6 (low-end torque) and I really liked the FZ6 (better in the mid's, but very flickable).

One thing to consider, the lean on the F4i is almost 30%, whereas the lean on the FZ6 is only 15%. (cycle-ergo.com)

Do you want to be spending that much time on your wrists? Unless you've got large wrists, it will get tiresome, fast.

Hope this helps.

Well the FZ6's insurance is only 325 for the year, which isn't very much to me.

I was very surprise how much low end torque the FZ6 had. It's probably why it felt jumpy to me. The F4i was soooo much fun riding around, and I was surprisingly comfortable on it. Though like I said, it was only 15 minutes or so, so that's not too long of a test.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're a 'big guy', get the greater functionality and enjoy the FZ.

The throttle IS snappy from off to on, but you learn to live with it.

If you buy the FZ, you get two bikes in one - a comfortable tourer (I ride mine 70mi every day, to and from work) but on the weekend, get it up over 8000rpm and it's a whole different machine.

Eminently chuckable, and surprisingly good fun.

I've had quite a few bikes, over the years, and the FZ seems to satisfy in ways my other, more oriented bikes didn't. (TDM900 wasn't as chuckable, CBR600 sucked on long trips etc)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
I only have experience with the FZ6. I'm 6'2" and not on the big side, the bike fits me better than any other 600 I've looked at. A power commander III smooths out the power delivery, especially at low rpm's. The handling improves immensely with upgrades to the front forks.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say the tires are "stock", and look brand-new, I hope you mean they're the same brand as original, but not the original tires; even if the tread is good that's six-year old tires, and should probably be replaced.

I'm kind've sensitive to this right now, as my cage didn't pass Safety and Emissions last Friday because of the tires; they still had enough tread but they were seven years old and starting to dry-rot! As fun as my Saab convertible is to drive, it doesn't see much use since getting the Fizzer. :rockon:

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
I second what Botch says. If the tires are original replace them NOW. Number 1 the tires are probably brittle by now and if they are BT020's they are a crap tire (the voice of experience).

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I had a 2000 F4 when I bought my 2004 FZ6, so I'll offer my opinions.

The FZ6 put much less weight on my forearms, and that was the main concern for me. I'm 6'3" and the F4 was starting to kill my forearms after 20 minutes or so.

The transmission on the F4 shifted soooo much more smoothly than the FZ6.

Most surprisingly, was that the wind noise on the F4 was way less than the FZ6. This is still my biggest complaint about the FZ6, as the wind noise is literally deafening on the bike (and I've tried three windshields).

The F4 looked sportier, but the FZ6 is still cool looking (especially after a rear fender eliminator, and my swap to the 2007 swingarm). I like being able to see the engine on the motorcycle.

Power-wise, I didn't notice much of a difference, but the Honda seemed to be more progressive in power delivery. I don't recall thinking that the FZ6 had more low end torque, but maybe the F4i is tuned differently than the F4 was.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, dumb question: what exactly is the "F4"? :confused:

I know there's a very-high-performance Italian bike called the F4, but I'm doubting that's what we're talking about here; the only other one I know of is the badass McDonnell-Douglas vietnam bird...