2 questions about grips and sliders

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
i did a quick search, and didn't find much on this (unless i just missed the right threads).
question 1: how do you get the stock grips off so that new grips can be installed?
question 2: is locktite necessary to keep frame sliders on? i've read about a lot of people using it, but didn't know if it absolutely had to be used. i don't want them falling off during a ride:(
thanks for the help!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. If you are just putting completly new grips on then use a razor blade or something compairable and cut the old ones off.

2. Why would you not want to use locktite? it can hurt to use it so why not??

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
i don't have a problem using locktite, i just didn't know if it was an actual necessity. i'll pick some up tomorrow and be sure to apply it.
thanks for the response!
is cutting off the old grips really the only way? i was kinda hoping to keep all of my stock parts around. if it's the only way though, then i'll have to do it.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Once you have separated the grip from the glue, the air compressor method works for both removal and installation.

If you do not have access to a compressor, I prefer the brake cleaner method (instead of WD-40). The brake cleaner evaporates quickly without leaving a residue that needs to be removed.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 is not a good idea for installing grips as it leaves an oily residue which makes them more likely to slip/come off. It's pretty good for removing them though. When I want to keep them, I use a screwdriver to lever up the edges of the grip and spray WD40 underneath to help get off the glue etc. You have to be really careful or you scratch the bars though. Personally, I just cut them off too!

I use paraffin when getting the grips on as it helps to lubricate and totally evaporates when done.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
question 2: is locktite necessary to keep frame sliders on? i've read about a lot of people using it, but didn't know if it absolutely had to be used. i don't want them falling off during a ride:(
thanks for the help!

Seeing as the sliders are also the engine hangers I would suggest locktite is a good idea

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as the sliders are also the engine hangers I would suggest locktite is a good idea
Loctite does absolutely 0% damage! Seriously, why are people questioning the wisdom of it??? :confused:

Seeing as it's a good idea not to over-tighten the bolts - which may lead to loosening, Loctite is a damn good idea to use just in case. It's only £2-3 anyway! I used it on mine as the R&G instructions on how tight to do the bolts up was very vague.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny..the Locktite is probably fine, but I actually used an anti-galling compound on my bolts to make sure I could get them off again if I needed to.:Flash:

Daybreaker

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6Drummer,
How ya doin?
First to get the grips off and save them.
1. Take the bar end off the left side. Take a small shanked screw driver and push it between the grip and the bar. You may have to do this in a few places around the bar. Take a can of WD40 using the straw squrit a little beside the screw driver. Pull out the screw driver and twist the grip. It will come off. On the throttle side you have to push the screw driver between the rubber gripa nd the plastic throttle tube. Repeat with WD40.

2. Loctite can be used for most applications. Remember one thing do you want to remove the screw or bolt in the future. Make sure your frame slider bolts are not too long. Some people have screwed in the bolts and them being too long have stripped out the engine block threads. There is a Post somewhere on this website with pictures. The sliders I had on my bike HINT HINT were installed by just using the correct torque specs. But make sure your bolts are the correct length. If you want to use Locitite I'd use the BLUE. Remember Loctite dries in the absense of air.
Later,
Daybreaker

Daybreaker

Reaction score
Visit site
To install new grips (if you are installing rubber type) Pour in some denatured alcohol not rubbing alcohol into the grip. Shake it arpund in the grip then pour it out and quickly push it on the bar. The alcohol acts as a lubricant until it dries and when it dries the grip will not move.

Old dirt bike trick.

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks to everyone for all of the help! i got the grips off tonight without an issue. i used a small flat head screwdriver and a bit of wd-40; they came off pretty easily. i'll post pics tomorrow after everything dries and i get the bar ends back on.