1986 FZ600S acquired soon, looking for technical info

Dustin2

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in the process of picking up an '86 FZ600S from its fastidious owner and am in search of technical details. I want to know what new(er) parts fit and what kind of basic info one needs to know about this bike.

Things like:

- Newer regulator compatibility
- Suspension swaps
- Brake caliper swaps
- Availability of parts

And so on

I know these bikes are a rare sight now days so some of this might not be easy to find but I'm starting my search now

:welcome:to the best forum on the Big WWW!

I don't how much you'll find on that year on this forum but and good place to reference/crossreference parts would be here: Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>1987>FZR 600

Keep in mind that the breakdowns are generational so the 87 manual may cover a few years.

Be sure to post us some pics!
I also ride the SV! :D

Last edited:
I have the same bike - currently trying to replace the R/R unit.
The wiring harness shows 7 wires but I've accidentally purchased a 5 wire RR. :(

Carbs weren't too technical - very dirty though. I've noticed these tend to get cruddy fast. Remember to remove and retain the little crow feet that pull up the enrichener circuit plungers or one will go away while you work. If you replace them with the bigger carbs it's supposed to help top end. I dunno about that.

I'll be cleaning the pet**** for the second time soon with the directions (fantastic!) from this site XJBikes.com › Forums › XJBikes Talk › XJ FAQ Suggestions › Rebuilding the Yamaha Vacuum Fuel Valve w/pics
Maybe not exactly the same but good info.

I think all of these need new fork seals either because they wear out fast (my bike only has like 17k on the clock) or because it's SO FUN to do wheelies on it. Pure speculation on my part. ;)

Back