110 volt generator project, looking for advice

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings forum members. My new generator blew up. It is a Kipor :Flip: 2500 watt gas powered chineese unit. I bought it 1 year 5 months ago and it is not under warranty. The company stopped making the model and is now going to start a new line. They want 1100$ for the inverter that appears to be fried. I paid 1200 for the genset. I would like to build my own generator out of the good OHV engine in the frame. I would like to build an inverter generator rated at 2500 watts. Anyone have any good ideas where to source parts like this? I need to figure out what is wrong with mine to get a starting point. The engine runs fine but is under constant load. The inverter emmitted the elusive blue smoke and quit putting out 110 volts. I am not sure if I remove the inverter if I can start the engine to see if the generator is putting out current, or if this would fry something. Help please. Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings forum members. My new generator blew up. It is a Kipor :Flip: 2500 watt gas powered chineese unit. I bought it 1 year 5 months ago and it is not under warranty. The company stopped making the model and is now going to start a new line. They want 1100$ for the inverter that appears to be fried. I paid 1200 for the genset. I would like to build my own generator out of the good OHV engine in the frame. I would like to build an inverter generator rated at 2500 watts. Anyone have any good ideas where to source parts like this? I need to figure out what is wrong with mine to get a starting point. The engine runs fine but is under constant load. The inverter emmitted the elusive blue smoke and quit putting out 110 volts. I am not sure if I remove the inverter if I can start the engine to see if the generator is putting out current, or if this would fry something. Help please. Thanks!

Down here you can buy a used 5500 8500 (surge) entire generator powered by an OHV Briggs and Stratton 10 HP, used for $400, new about $700. A 4,000 watt for $200+.

It'll last a lot longer than what you have.

I'd personally part yours out, keep away from the chinese knock off generators and just buy another unit.

Good luck

I have a used 4000 watt generator I bought that need the carb cleaned for $20.00. I've had it about 6 years and just had to replace the fuel pump. Got maybe $50.00 into it.
My backup generator is a 5500 / 8500 B&S 10HP I bought new for just over $700. That'll run everything but the central air conditioner in the house in SW Florida...

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, yeah you can get 2500 to 5000 watt generators way under $1000 for a quality new unit easy.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I would guess that fixing the inverter would be a lot like fixing a stator, and there are some pretty good threads on that here and on another site I visit (Eek! I visit other motorcycle sites!) -- hondatwins.com. For a Chinese unit in that power range, I think that the materials needed to fix might add up to a substantial portion of the cost of a new unit. Cheap materials may be why it failed in the first place. You may have trouble finding a good manual with the specs for that unit for diagnostic purposes, too. In English. :( I hate to be discouraging...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never played with a gas generator. From the sounds of it it may product AC type current and then must be converted to a regulated 120 VAC sine or modified square wave at 60 hertz? This would be the job of the inverter. Do you have schematics for this unit? Could there be serviceable pass transistor/s in the inverter that failed that you might be able to replace?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, yeah you can get 2500 to 5000 watt generators way under $1000 for a quality new unit easy.

Did he say Quality? You get what you pay for (Chinese product proved that). If you just need temporary cheap power the 4-700$ one will work but if you want good back up power with low distortion( best for tv's, comps. etc) it will cost double that.

I live off my quality Kawasaki generator a week or two every winter due to Sierra Cement storms.

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the wiring diagram. I think the generator produces DC current and the inverter makes 110v AC. I'll look into the pass transistor.
I know I can replace it for less maybe but I would like to try the frankenstein approach to get some value out of the engine. It is a good running quiet package that I can easily lift in and out of my truck. I don't use it except when camping off grid. The 2500 watts are only necessary for my air conditioner. I guess I could make a mean gocart if all else fails. Beware of Kipor products.

I've never played with a gas generator. From the sounds of it it may product AC type current and then must be converted to a regulated 120 VAC sine or modified square wave at 60 hertz? This would be the job of the inverter. Do you have schematics for this unit? Could there be serviceable pass transistor/s in the inverter that failed that you might be able to replace?

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Did he say Quality? You get what you pay for (Chinese product proved that). If you just need temporary cheap power the 4-700$ one will work but if you want good back up power with low distortion( best for tv's, comps. etc) it will cost double that.

I live off my quality Kawasaki generator a week or two every winter due to Sierra Cement storms.

I paid good money for it because it makes clean power and is quiet. The dealer said it was comparable to the honda for 2000$. Now Kipor won't return his calls either. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid good money for it because it makes clean power and is quiet. The dealer said it was comparable to the honda for 2000$. Now Kipor won't return his calls either. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If it's DC output can't you by an aftermarket inverter? You said the generator was loading down. This could indicate it's output going to ground. Possibly the inverter is shorted. Maybe disconnect the inverter and run the unit but before you do check that you won't harm anything else by running it untethered. Is there a loop back to control throttle etc?
Can you get me a schematic?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

you can get a quality unit for under $1000, you just have to look around. Also, you can get a small UPS unit to "condition" the power to make it safer to run your stuff. I am sure though that kawasaki generator is a really nice one though.

APC - 650VA Battery Back-Up System - BE650MC

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

I feel your pain, I bought a Chinese 5 hp Honda look a like for 100 bucks. Sure it ran a few years but it was a POS. So I spent 4 bills on a Honda and it will last for ever. (I have 2 other Honda motors that have :D ).
I cheaped out and it bit me, I won't buy Chinese look a like crap.

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's DC output can't you by an aftermarket inverter? You said the generator was loading down. This could indicate it's output going to ground. Possibly the inverter is shorted. Maybe disconnect the inverter and run the unit but before you do check that you won't harm anything else by running it untethered. Is there a loop back to control throttle etc?
Can you get me a schematic?

absolutley, exactly what I need to know. Thank You.