08FZ6 for sale and the buyer backed out because of my price.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I posted my FZ on CL and priced for 4250$, which has 9500+ miles, bone stock.
My final offer was 3800$, without scorpio alarm system.
what do you think about the deal? share your thoughts.
My reason to upgrade: ABS and needed a bit more light weight for my daily use.

Edit: requires
1. News front tire at 10,500 miles
2. Oil change and filter change done at 8200, but 10,500 would be good.
3. Been down once by each owner, (one time each side),

He also has 17k miles for 2700$ as another option.
3300-4300 is the nada price for excellent condition:
2008 Yamaha FZS6XB/C Prices and Values - NADAguides
Mine have scuffs on both sides.Frame sliders may need to be changed due to scuffs, they are from Yamaha and doesn't need to be changed, other than for looks.

Last edited:

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
$3800 is fair. I just paid 4299 for my bone stock 2008 fz6 this spring. 39000km. Mind you mine was completly mint. No scratches, scuffs, anything. And had new tires. Also I'm in Canada and for whatever reason used fz6 seems to cost more here.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it need anything? Tires? Ever been down?

I paid $3500 for my 08 with 12k miles on the clock almost 3 years ago, though it had been down once and the headlight mole was scuffed. Well maintained with heated grips, headlight mod, FZ1 bars, and relatively new Pirellis. What's the book value on your bike?

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
I only paid $3200 for an 08 stock, scratches n scuffs from a forgot-to-put-kickstand-down drop by PO with less than 500 miles on it a year and a half ago but I felt like I stole it. Price is relative to demand in your local (around nashville Suzies and Onda's are WAY over priced) and someone feeling the deal is good, however, CL is a wash with time wasters and PIA. Book around here is $2800 T - $3900 R Good luck.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it need anything? Tires? Ever been down?

I paid $3500 for my 08 with 12k miles on the clock almost 3 years ago, though it had been down once and the headlight mole was scuffed. Well maintained with heated grips, headlight mod, FZ1 bars, and relatively new Pirellis. What's the book value on your bike?

OP updated..! Thanks.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused about your mileage. You have 9500 miles on it, but you put a new front tire on @ 10500?

For a bike that's not cosmetically perfect, I'd expect to get the low end of book value depending on the damage. I would fix the biggest cosmetic issues and see what you get. Frame sliders are pretty inexpensive to replace. Or you could just remove them and sell without. You may not recoup your investment from fixing cosmetic issues, but they'll make the bike easier to sell. Do you have scuffs on the tank?

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused about your mileage. You have 9500 miles on it, but you put a new front tire on @ 10500?

For a bike that's not cosmetically perfect, I'd expect to get the low end of book value depending on the damage. I would fix the biggest cosmetic issues and see what you get. Frame sliders are pretty inexpensive to replace. Or you could just remove them and sell without. You may not recoup your investment from fixing cosmetic issues, but they'll make the bike easier to sell. Do you have scuffs on the tank?

I think he means it will need a new tire at 10500 and that the bike has 9500+ miles. So it could need a tire in a few hundred miles. Plus needing an oil change.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes to RoadGator, and no scuffs on tank.
Present mileage is 9500, and front-tire don't need to be changed yet.

IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg

I don't do my oil change, no garage and my apartment complex doesn't have any shade place (for sun or rain) and don't want my hands get dirty(not in terms of wearing gloves, I don't want the hassle of taking the oil to recycle center, and take care of the leaks etc) so i pay 20$ for mechanic to do it for me.
So, In my case, when I tire change at 10,500, i'll get the oil change too, YMMV.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
May not be a bad idea to get the tire and oil changed now. You're pretty close to the wear bars.

When I sell my vehicles, I make it a point to do all the "easy fixes." As I mentioned before it may not get you more money, but it will show you've taken good care of the bike and you're more likely to get closer to your asking price as the buyer will have fewer bargaining chips.

I'll be happy to get $3k for my bike. It needs nothing mechanically, but it has a few small blemishes from being down, and it has higher mileage (24k).

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is an 05, 7580 mileage, had risers, scorpion exhaust, sliders, newer tires. Cosmetic stuff is minor scuffs on corners of front fairing and rear grab bar, and I mean minor. I bought it for 2250 last month. It also came with small tank bag, rear bad and battery tender.

I think 3800 is high, around here 3800 buys a less than 8 year old bike that is near perfect with newer tires. 4500 buys a perfect 09 r6 with 3k miles.

From what you say I would not go over 2500 as an offer. New tires would get it closer to 3000.

Edit, the reason I say 2500 is the tires. Most people will pay more for a bike they can jump on and ride for the year with nothing needed. I sold my 05 ninja 500 perfect mechanical condition with great tires, lots of scuffs for 1800.

All the fz6 over 3k where I live have been on the market for months

Last edited:

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion $3800 is too much. Its location dependant, but I'm in a smaller area and you can find clean FZ1's for $4k. When I was looking for the one I just bought, One guy had an 09 FZ6 with 7k miles and some good mods for $4k, granted mods dont mean anything when it comes to price but this one was in perfect condition. I paid $2.5k for mine with a few scratches on the fairing and 31k miles but in great condition otherwise.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Requested a quote on 14fz09, to buy after I come back from my trip to India, and the insurance is 1500$ for the same coverage as mine, 100l/300k where as i'm paying 620$ per annum on my fz6.
I wonder how much the STR and Monster would cost me.
26 yrs old, 1 ticket for car speeding (will not be considered anyway), 3 yrs riding history in the USA (got my license 3 yrs ago, purchased 8 months) and 8 yrs back in India.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys aren't giving me much hope of selling my 05 fz6 for $2900 with two new Michelin Pilot Powers and recent oil change.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you selling the bike so quickly? It's hardly broken in. If anyone needs to get a new bike it should be me. The primary reason I've had my bike for so long is because it's so economical. Insurance is cheap, takes regular fuel and gets great mileage being that its a 600 and not a litre bike. The bike does everything, it's not one dimensional like most bikes.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how much the STR and Monster would cost me.

Probably less than the FZ09, more than the FZ6. Since they're all the same class of bike (naked sportbike) the displacement and value will define the premium you pay. The FZ6 is a relatively inexpensive bike with only a 600 so its insurance isn't much. They're also not stolen very much - not sure if the Monster or FZ09 is high on a theft list. Just getting theft insurance on a supersport can be a killer as your driving record has nothing to do with it.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you selling the bike so quickly? It's hardly broken in. If anyone needs to get a new bike it should be me. The primary reason I've had my bike for so long is because it's so economical. Insurance is cheap, takes regular fuel and gets great mileage being that its a 600 and not a litre bike. The bike does everything, it's not one dimensional like most bikes.

this is the exact reason why I do not see myself ever parting with my fz6, bike owes me nothing, it has few dings and scratches but to me that adds character :) and we had so far great 14k miles together (atleast I think so lol)

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I pay about a sandwich per month to insure the fz6. I really wanted a fz09 but was quoted a new iPhone per month to insure it.

corvius

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought mine a few months ago. 2007, all stock except for an engine guard, 7000 miles or so. I paid $3600 (a little more than I wanted to) but was OK with the price since 1) the bike had basically brand new pilot 3's in the front and the back and 2) the guy had the yamaha money agents maintain it, and it looks great and was never down.

I'd say $3800 was fair, with slight bias towards the seller. Your buyer was probably looking for a "craigslist steal" and not a fair trade.

IIRC book value (and we all know how accurate those are) was 3400-3600 for my bike.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The buyer is holding at USD3200, because the right side of the bike, have scrapes to the plastic muscle (below the passenger seat, whatever you call it), and on the right hand grab rail, front fairing, and stator cover. He is thinking it is a big crash, but I told him, after that crash(by PO), I rode 7k miles, without any problem.
The left side can be easily say it is 5-10mph scrapes, no scratches other than stator and frame sliders.