07 FZ6 Fuel Guage Flashes

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
I've looked through the forum and noticed that people were having this problem of the fuel meter flashing 8 times and then turning off and repeating. I just bought this bike tonight and I'm trying to diagnose the issue but the weird thing is it only does it once in a while. It will work fine, then go off and start flashing, and then come back on again. I'm thinking it's a loose wire but any ideas where to start looking.

Like I said the bike is new to me so I'm not super familiar with the build so any guidance on what parts to take off would be appreciated. I guess the other question is would this be a cheap fix for a dealer or am I better off doing it myself? Thanks for any input.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
1-Ignition switch is OFF.
2-Engine stop-switch is ON.
3-Lift up your fuel tank and disconnect the fuel-pump wiring connector.

-->
attachment.php

4-Check all those wires! All the wires connected to the fuel tank must be inspected for ANY damage. Look hard. Most LED fuel-gauge problems are related to the wiring. One man had his chewed-out by mice! If you thoroughly check these wires and discover no problems, come back here.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I've been doing a lot of work under my tank lately and that's exactly what happens when the plug is disconnected from under the tank. I put the tank down once and forgot to plug back in the connectors (Green and White) and my fuel guage flashed a bunch of times and then shut off. I was like "WTF?....oh, right, the plugs!...doh".

So sounds like it has something to do with the plug/connection under your tank like Raid The Revenge said.

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I pulled the tank when the gauge was flashing and moved the wire connection under the tank and it came back on, so I think problem solved. Actually, the bike came with an installed PC3 and the additional wire clips were right next to the gas sensor wire so I think they kind of crimped it. I rearranged the wires so hopefully all is good. Thanks to everybody for the info and pictures!!! And I love this bike!!!

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
Resurecting an older thread here... but maybe a bit more info isnt bad?

This fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnosis system. If a problem is detected in the electrical circut, the following cycle will be repeated untill the malfunction is corrected: "E" (Empty), "F" (Full) and [gas symbol] will flash 8 times, then go off for approxmatly 3 seconds. If this occurs, have a Yamaha deal..... Bla Bla Bla...

Kinda a neat feature, i just happend to read about it in the manual today while looking for chain tension information. (Getting ready to do 600 mile service myself :thumbup: )

~Jason

gfitz06

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever heard of the fuel guage reading half full when you have refilled the tank? My tank was reading almost empty, so I stopped and gassed up. It was working fine before this, but after refilling the tank which from the amount of gas required, it was half full at least or more, the guage continued to read half full. I shut it down and restarted and the result is the same, it continues to show half full. Any ideas?

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to update it since I finally fixed the flashing gas meeter! The problem was the wire adapter on the back of the instrument cluster wasn't set properly and was working it's way loose. I found this out from a recent trip where my whole instrument cluster started to shut off and gave me every warning it had. I was 400 miles from home so I ignored it but when I got back I took the bike apart, found the loose connection, put it back together and it hasn't had a problem since! :cheer: Thanks for all the help.

Also, I personally never had the half full reading regardless of the actual level but if I had to guess I would say the float is stuck, which I read happens and isn't the worst to fix, except that you have to pull the pump and there is a clip inside the tank that can be hard to work with. I'm sure there are others on the forum that have more experience and knowledge and if you are still having a problem hopefully they can shed light on it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever heard of the fuel guage reading half full when you have refilled the tank? My tank was reading almost empty, so I stopped and gassed up. It was working fine before this, but after refilling the tank which from the amount of gas required, it was half full at least or more, the guage continued to read half full. I shut it down and restarted and the result is the same, it continues to show half full. Any ideas?

I'd go with the float is stuck. It is fairly common. You may not even need to take the pump all the way out. Take your tank off and set it on something soft that you don't mind if a little gas spills on. Then pull the pump out and see if you can fiddle with the float. If you can't then you'll have to pull it all the way out. Careful with that tab though. It holds the float on, and if you break it then your gauge will work until the tank is emptyish then the float falls off. :rolleyes:

If you pull it all the way, check the contacts on the circuitboard and see if some of them finally **** the bed.

Sometimes I need to get moving before it'll update, usually within a mile or two it shows the right reading again. :don'tknow: You could always try unplugging the battery while you have the tank off and see if a reset fixes it.