04 gauge cluster

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 FZ6 is it possible to change out my gauge cluster for one with a analog tach? I prefer the look and the ease of reading the analog tach on the newer models. Its my only complaint on the 04's.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you, I hate the cluster on my '06. The digital sweep tach is useless. Often the sun will hit it and then I can't see my RPM's at a glance(if at all), which is really annoying. I might just toss a small analog tach onto the bars, like I did with my TW200, and call it a day. That'd be the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

As for the later model gauges, I too wonder if it'd be a plug and play affair, other than mounting the thing of course. I doubt it though, as the two gauges have different functions, so I'll bet the board pin outs are different. But dang it'd be worth it! After riding an '09 FZ6, I want an analog tach more than ever. lol

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
While I'm with you guys on the tach on the '04-06, there is an easier fix.

If you hit the top button on the right side of the speedometer a couple of times, it displays your RPMs numerically down at the bottom of the gauge. I've literally had mine set this way from day one (4 1/2 years now) and it works great. The only time it gets changed is when I fill up and I reset trip A. Then I click it back over to the RPMs and I'm good to go.

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
I recently changed my 06 to a newer meter. I found a used 07 with the wiring harness, cut the part that connects to the back of the meter on both the 06 and 07 harness (they are different) then paid my neighbor in beer to solder the 07 connection to the 06 wiring harness and it works

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
While I'm with you guys on the tach on the '04-06, there is an easier fix.

If you hit the top button on the right side of the speedometer a couple of times, it displays your RPMs numerically down at the bottom of the gauge. I've literally had mine set this way from day one (4 1/2 years now) and it works great. The only time it gets changed is when I fill up and I reset trip A. Then I click it back over to the RPMs and I'm good to go.

Yeah, I have mine set that way too, but I still hate the cluster. lol The only advantage to it is it makes setting the idle precisely a breeze.

BH322893: So everything works ok on it? Where there any wires that didn't mate up?

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently changed my 06 to a newer meter. I found a used 07 with the wiring harness, cut the part that connects to the back of the meter on both the 06 and 07 harness (they are different) then paid my neighbor in beer to solder the 07 connection to the 06 wiring harness and it works

Send your neighbor my way! I live in the land of beer and cheese! I'll hook em up!!

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
Took all and all about a day to do it. I used a lot of the info from this link, http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/9908-multi-function-display.html

This was the main advice that helped me,

04-06 -------------- 2007
Red/White------Red/White & Red/Yellow
Yellow ----------Black/Yellow
Red/Green------Red/Green
Green-----------Green
Brown-----------Brown
White------------White
Light Green-----Light Green
Green/White----Green/White
White/Red-------NONE
Black/White------Black/White

White/Red is Ground.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Took all and all about a day to do it. I used a lot of the info from this link, http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/9908-multi-function-display.html

This was the main advice that helped me,

04-06 -------------- 2007
Red/White------Red/White & Red/Yellow
Yellow ----------Black/Yellow
Red/Green------Red/Green
Green-----------Green
Brown-----------Brown
White------------White
Light Green-----Light Green
Green/White----Green/White
White/Red-------NONE
Black/White------Black/White

White/Red is Ground.

Easier than I thought! Thanks for the info!

vseekles

Vincent
Reaction score
Visit site
Easier than I thought! Thanks for the info!

Hey guys. Sorry for opening up this discussion again, but does anyone know how the gauge cluster gets its information (speed, rpm) ABS versus non-ABS? I just ordered a used 2009 gauge cluster for my 2004 FZ6, but today a guy from the bike shop tells me that this is definitely not gonna work if the new gauge cluster is from an ABS bike (apparently the gauge cluster gets the speed and RPM signal from the ABS unit, which is a completely different signal)...

Can anyone confirm this? (in which case I have a very cool 2009 gauge cluster for sale)

Thanks!

Vincent