04-06 tank fit 07-09?

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Im almost done with getting my 07 fz6 back to mint when today...surprise!...I noticed the tank has a soft spot on the left side where it was apparently patched with bondo... And bigger surprise...it was damp with gasoline. (it got worse as night went on too).

I found a minor dinged up 06 tank on eBay, but I don't know if they are compatible with 07?

A few fz6r tanks on there too...but I assume those are prob not compatible tho.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am fairly certain that the 2004-2006 model shares an identical tank structure to the 2007-2009 model. The only obvious difference are the available paint colors.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If the one you found is also dinged up why dont you try to save some money and just repair yours

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
If the one you found is also dinged up why dont you try to save some money and just repair yours

If it is leaking...isn't that a sign the internal wall was punctured too? I was under impression that the tank is toast at that point?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Na it can be fixed. If its not that bad of a leak you can get a sealer to put inside the tank by removing it, draining it, flushing it out and then coating the inside of the bad spot with thesealer and letting it cure or do all the above but fill it with water let it sit for a few days then sand down the bondo to expose the crack, hole, split or whatever it might be and weld it up but unless you have the stuff to do that you would have to take it to a body shop or fab shop to have it done, I fixed a tank on one of my buddys bike that way but if the bondo is wet and mushy I would personally not even try the sealer and go straight to welding it up

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It just depends if you get one dinged up your going to be paying for that+shipping and then have to pay to have it repaired. I would call around to a few body shops, fab shops, or sheet metal shops and see what they would charge first to repair yours. Me personally if the dent and bondo area isnt much bigger than a silver dollar I would charge around 150

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
You can see some pics of mine here -> Slid off the road in Helen Ga - July 24 2011

I didn't get a good shot of the right side, but there is a dent there as well. I had a body show quote me $350 to repair the tank and paint it if I provide the paint. Had I know you (ChevyFazer) would have done it for $150, I'd have talked to you about it :thumbup: Instead, I found a tank here about paid $375 for the tank and shipping, which I didn't think was too bad. However, for a small dent and leak, I'd probably just fix it rather then replace it.

Edit - looking at the pics, it hard to see where it's hurt. There is a dent in the (sitting on the bike) left front where the fairing hit it, the left rear is scratched up, and there is a dent on the lower right front.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That 150 price would be to repair the hole or what ever is causing the leak, and smooth it out but I am by no means a painter or body man so the rest of your quote would prolly be to cover paint and prep