Leaking brake lever

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh great and powerful Oz...

This weekend I installed goodridge braided lines and new fluid. Tonight I took the bike out for a little shakedown ride. Stopped for fuel and spotted something on the tank and a streak on the right inner cowl -- brake fluid. Lovely.

First place I looked was the point where the lines mount to the master cylinder. No fluid there. No leaks around the lid. Ran my fingers along the underside of the lever pivot: fluid. Not gobs of it but a sleazy layer. Enough such that while I was out riding it dribbled down onto the cowling to cause an ugly white, discolored streak on the black plastic. Frick.

I searched this forum but didn't find anything about anyone having a leaky lever. Oh lucky me, I get to be first..? If anyone has done a lever service, I'd lover to get the 911 on the process, or things to look out for while doing the service. I can do the work, it'll just be a matter of getting the parts from the dealer.

Thanks for any input.

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1161-leaky-lever.jpg

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1159-seal.jpg

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1160-lever-pivot.jpg

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh great and powerful Oz...

This weekend I installed goodridge braided lines and new fluid. Tonight I took the bike out for a little shakedown ride. Stopped for fuel and spotted something on the tank and a streak on the right inner cowl -- brake fluid. Lovely.

First place I looked was the point where the lines mount to the master cylinder. No fluid there. No leaks around the lid. Ran my fingers along the underside of the lever pivot: fluid. Not gobs of it but a sleazy layer. Enough such that while I was out riding it dribbled down onto the cowling to cause an ugly white, discolored streak on the black plastic. Frick.

I searched this forum but didn't find anything about anyone having a leaky lever. Oh lucky me, I get to be first..? If anyone has done a lever service, I'd lover to get the 911 on the process, or things to look out for while doing the service. I can do the work, it'll just be a matter of getting the parts from the dealer.

Thanks for any input.

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1161-leaky-lever.jpg

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1159-seal.jpg

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1160-lever-pivot.jpg

Your attached pictures don't show up. However..

I rebuilt the front master cylinder about 6 months ago. Buy the kit, take the M/C off the bike to a clean area. Just remove the internal snap ring and replace the entire assembly with the contents of the kit. Don't hone the cylinder, don't use any cleaner that leaves a residue (95% alcohol is what I use for brake system work) and take care not to damage the lip of the seals. Reinstall, bleed with BRAND NEW FLUID and ride away...

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
The fluid has to be coming from the master cylinder, the connection or the line itself and running down to the break lever.