Lake district & Yorkshire Dales, Tips

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the Dutch Fazer forum one of the couples are going on a trip through the lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in these parts, knew good routes (or stretches of road that you should not miss) and maybe some good pubs bed & Breakfasts or Campsites.
My parents live in Leeds and they will also be asking around.

It would be great if we could help out a fellow Fazer rider, thanks :thumbup:.

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
On the Dutch Fazer forum one of the couples are going on a trip from the lake District, across the Peninnes and through the Yorkshire Dales.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in these parts, knew good routes (or stretches of road that you should not miss) and maybe some good pubs bed & Breakfasts or Campsites.
My parents live in Leeds and they will also be asking around.

It would be great if we could help out a fellow Fazer rider, thanks :thumbup:.

I was stationed in Catterick Camp, near Richmond, Yorks in the early 70's, and lived in Leyburn for about 2 years. Wonderful roads and classic Yorkshire Dales scenery in that area. It's also very much farming country, so don't be surprised by a herd of cows coming towards you just around that next corner....or a farmer in his Range Rover (or Jag) driving down the middle of the road.
We absolutely loved that area when we lived there....almost every village has a pub and a place to stay. Great people, great food and great beer. Why shop anywhere else? :D
Oh...edited to add: Don't forget to ride on the left.;) I'm not being a smartass saying that...the most dangerous time is pulling out of a parking lot when there is no traffic on the road. You WILL pull out of the parking lot on the right side of the exit and ride up the right side of the road at least once.
I got into the habit of saying "left left left" every time I got into my car when I was in New Zealand last year. (Then I got out again and got into it on the steering wheel side) :D

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You would think I would know the answer to this wouldn`t you???

When are they going Cloggy?

Steve

In September Steve. I should really know this too, but I got my motorbike license over here (aprox 12 years ago), and when I go back it's always with the family in the car or plane (the kids really want to see their grandparents of course).

My parents have a caravan near Pateley Bridge, so they are going to ask around for some nice riding routes around those parts.

my cousins husband is a motorbike instructor (in Wakefield) and I hope that he can give some tips (I don't have a close contact with that side of the family so I hope my parents can come through for me there). I have 2 other cousins who ride bikes but I haven't met them in years.

Anyway if any one else has any tips please send them my way, cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:

mustnt grumble

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from Harrogate originally which is known as the "Gateway to the Dales". It is packed with reasonably priced bed and breakfasts as well as decent hotels. The A59 will take you, via Skipton into the heart of The Dales where I can recommend a couple of days in Malham. There's a pub there (I forget it's name) that does decent rooms and serve lovely traditional Yorkshire Ales.

Enjoy.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was stationed in Catterick Camp, near Richmond, Yorks in the early 70's, and lived in Leyburn for about 2 years. Wonderful roads and classic Yorkshire Dales scenery in that area. It's also very much farming country, so don't be surprised by a herd of cows coming towards you just around that next corner....or a farmer in his Range Rover (or Jag) driving down the middle of the road.
We absolutely loved that area when we lived there....almost every village has a pub and a place to stay. Great people, great food and great beer. Why shop anywhere else? :D
I once went to catterick on the way up to scotland, when I was in the RAF, but we didn't take the route through the Dales. I love the Yorkshire Dales, when I was a kid we would often go to the grandparents in Bingley, and from there we would venture out into the Dales, generally going for long walks.
When I was 15 I went on a long cycling holiday (3 weeks) with my brother and a mate around the Dales and the North yorkshire moors, we pretty much covered the whole area, amazing scenary.
I know what you mean about the cattle, I'll never forget on several occasions on the bikes (cycles) hurtling down some amazingly steep hills, and just around the corner there was a cattle grid :eek: we were on racing (not mountain) bikes too, you just had to ride it out, and hope.
Oh...edited to add: Don't forget to ride on the left.;) I'm not being a smartass saying that...the most dangerous time is pulling out of a parking lot when there is no traffic on the road. You WILL pull out of the parking lot on the right side of the exit and ride up the right side of the road at least once.
I got into the habit of saying "left left left" every time I got into my car when I was in New Zealand last year. (Then I got out again and got into it on the steering wheel side) :D
I must admit I have no problem with a car, whether I'm driving in my own car (left hand drive) or in my Dads car (right hand drive) in England, but I've been to-ing and fro-ing for so long now it's second nature.
On the other hand i'm not sure how it will go on the motorbike, when I come over to the UK in October, as I've only ever riden my bike in holland and although I've hired a bike several times in the UK it was about 9 years ago now.
I must admit me and my wife quite often get in the wrong side of my Dads car, and then I realise there is something missing ;) I'm sure the neighbours across the road must have been in stitches :rof:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from Harrogate originally which is known as the \"Gateway to the Dales\". It is packed with reasonably priced bed and breakfasts as well as decent hotels. The A59 will take you, via Skipton into the heart of The Dales where I can recommend a couple of days in Malham. There's a pub there (I forget it's name) that does decent rooms and serve lovely traditional Yorkshire Ales.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip mustn't grumble (I must admit I thought that was a strange name for someone from London;))

I don't really know Harrogate but we used to go to Knaresborough quite a lot as kids.

I love Malham, walking around Janets Foss, the rock scramble at Goredale Scar, walking around Malham tarn and of course the icing on the cake walking across the 'Clints' and 'Grykes' on Flickr - Photo Sharing!on top of Malham cove
And not forgetting the Pub :thumbup:

I will never forget on my cycling holiday staying a night in a farmers field near Skipton, after promising the farmer we'd be gone by 8 in the morning. Anyway it rained the whole night and was still raining in the morning, we took down our tent, packed up our paniers and cycled to Malham in the pouring rain. Anyway when arriving at Malham camp site and setting up our extremely wet cotton tent we discovered that these so called waterproofed paniers (which we had spend our hard earned paper round money on) were only water resistant, all our clothes were soaked. We spent 2 great days in Malham, some of that time was spent in the visitors centre's toilet using their hand dryer to dry our sodden clothes :( As you can guess after this we bought bin bags at the local shop ;).

Last edited:

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there Cloggy, I live in York and am always driving around the Dales although I havent gone much farther than well worn paths. Ill get back to you regarding some good roads around the local area when ive got some free time, working hellish hours at work at the moment so bear with me.

To wet your appetite a little, I know of a fantastic road just outside of Otley (just past harrogate, west of York) which is about 5 miles long tops but its heavenly good fun. Tight turns with crests and meandering on smooth asphalt. Its a death trap but get a friend to ride ahead of you and "scout" to make sure no cars are coming your way and you'll value the experience.

Also check out "the hole of Horcum". Easily found, its on the main vain route throught the Yprkshire dales from York. Beautiful natural hole (???) thats absolutely vast in size and well worth visiting then clambering down. Its like a ginourmous natural ampitheatre.

Another good hot spot is following the A64 north until you hit Whitby but go left instead of right then veer of any srage rural road you can find, its lead to the narnia equivalent of driving beauty. Freshly laid asphalt that you can see for miles in one grey strip that just splits the land in two. The scenery is breathtaking with tilled lad one side and a bracken, barren landscape on the other. if your lucky you'll come across a shack/house or two but it'll take a few minutes. This way you'll bump into the tiny local villages and hopefully a perfect cute little inn that'll provide you that perfect nights rest.

If you give me dates etc ill do a load of research for you and look for things to do in my local area. Im always going for mini trips and you never know, if your looking for some company...

Either way, give me a lil while and ill pull up some info for you. Any routes your looking to take specifically, mention em now :)

Bo

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
ah, also to note depending on their route, i have a google map with a load of "pins" that highlight good areas to check out. Drives are always good, ill try and make it publically availale then post a link to it.

Also, as an added bonus, no SPEED CAMERAS in York! and we only have a smal minority road police force i.e. Ive NEVER seen anyone. Bonus!

Bo

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I received this PM from Dangerous Dave:

I don't know any pubs or places to stay, but I have a good route that I ride in North Yorks.

I actually did the run this morning. If you have a map you can follow the route.

A61 through Leeds and through Harrogate to Ripon. Then take the road from Ripon to Thirsk. Go through Thirsk, taking the road out (A170) towards Scarborough but stopping at Helmsley where there is a good cafe.
Returning, we head back towards Thirsk but take a left turn after about 1 mile and take some good scratching B Roads towards York.
WE go round the ring road clockwise, taking the A64 towards Leeds. 2nd exit off the A64 takes you South on the A19 towards Escrick where you turn right towards Cawood and Sherburn.
We call at Squires Cafe at Sherburn, then go through Castleford, a cheeky route around Wakefield to go through Flockton and back to Huddersfield.
It's about 150mi round trip.

Thanks Dave :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there Cloggy, I live in York and am always driving around the Dales although I havent gone much farther than well worn paths. Ill get back to you regarding some good roads around the local area when ive got some free time, working hellish hours at work at the moment so bear with me.

To wet your appetite a little, I know of a fantastic road just outside of Otley (just past harrogate, west of York) which is about 5 miles long tops but its heavenly good fun. Tight turns with crests and meandering on smooth asphalt. Its a death trap but get a friend to ride ahead of you and "scout" to make sure no cars are coming your way and you'll value the experience.

Also check out "the hole of Horcum". Easily found, its on the main vain route throught the Yprkshire dales from York. Beautiful natural hole (???) thats absolutely vast in size and well worth visiting then clambering down. Its like a ginourmous natural ampitheatre.

Another good hot spot is following the A64 north until you hit Whitby but go left instead of right then veer of any srage rural road you can find, its lead to the narnia equivalent of driving beauty. Freshly laid asphalt that you can see for miles in one grey strip that just splits the land in two. The scenery is breathtaking with tilled lad one side and a bracken, barren landscape on the other. if your lucky you'll come across a shack/house or two but it'll take a few minutes. This way you'll bump into the tiny local villages and hopefully a perfect cute little inn that'll provide you that perfect nights rest.
Bo
Thanks for the info Bo, when staying at my parents we quite often go up Otley Chevin with their dogs, beautiful scenery :thumbup:

If you give me dates etc ill do a load of research for you and look for things to do in my local area. Im always going for mini trips and you never know, if your looking for some company...

Either way, give me a lil while and ill pull up some info for you. Any routes your looking to take specifically, mention em now :)

Bo

Much appreciated, the info is actually for a Dutch couple (from the Dutch Fazer forum), but who knows it might lead to a Northern UK FZ6 meet, I'll probably be attending the UK meet in October, as I'll be on a course (in the south) around that time :thumbup:

Last edited:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Get off the main roads, anywhere in the Dales or the Lakes. Whilst I was born in Kendal in the Lake District, I do have a penchant for the Dales.

Dent / Dentdale is wonderful. Try the corned beef pasty & Rams Bottom ale at the Sun Inn in Dent village. The road from Dent to Ingleton is good* bike road. Passes one of the entrances to Yordas Cave.

Caves of Great Britain: Yordas Cave

Goes through the village of Thornton, can't remember the name of the pub, but does a nice pint of Theakstons - try the 'Old Peculiar'.

In Ingleton, if your friends have time walk 'Thorton Force' particularly if it has rained recently.

Ingleton Waterfalls Trail - Spectacular waterfall and woodland scenery, Yorkshire Dales

* Good as in exciting, outstanding views, sheep, cattle grids

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get off the main roads, anywhere in the Dales or the Lakes. Whilst I was born in Kendal in the Lake District, I do have a penchant for the Dales.

Dent / Dentdale is wonderful. Try the corned beef pasty & Rams Bottom ale at the Sun Inn in Dent village. The road from Dent to Ingleton is good* bike road. Passes one of the entrances to Yordas Cave.

Caves of Great Britain: Yordas Cave

Goes through the village of Thornton, can't remember the name of the pub, but does a nice pint of Theakstons - try the 'Old Peculiar'.

In Ingleton, if your friends have time walk 'Thorton Force' particularly if it has rained recently.

Ingleton Waterfalls Trail - Spectacular waterfall and woodland scenery, Yorkshire Dales

* Good as in exciting, outstanding views, sheep, cattle grids

Thanks Phil, I totally agree with Ingleton nice place, I've camped several times at a campsite at the top of the waterfalls, great scenary, I also remember Ingleborough cave (near Ingleton) being a nice visit. of course the three peaks are around there too (walked these when I was younger) :thumbup:.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a look through this one Cloggy.

I have just glanced at it but in the rides section there is a ride going to Whitby. Whitby to Scarborough is also good stopping at Robin hoods Bay on the way.

the link looks interesting and I am sure the guys who set it up would be able to answer any questions you have about Yorkshire riding.

Top Rides For Top Riders!

Steve

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a look through this one Cloggy.

I have just glanced at it but in the rides section there is a ride going to Whitby. Whitby to Scarborough is also good stopping at Robin hoods Bay on the way.

the link looks interesting and I am sure the guys who set it up would be able to answer any questions you have about Yorkshire riding.

Top Rides For Top Riders!

Steve

Great site Steve, lots of nice routes, and all in the right area, thanks a lot :thumbup:

Peter and Myrna (the couple on the Dutch Fazer Forum) would like to thank everybody for the info so far, they are reading this thread every day at the moment, and having lots of fun planning their route :D.

One of the sites they found was Topbiking roads and I was surprised how many routes they had from all around the world.

Once again thanks everyone, keep up the good work :thumbup:

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
i supect Dangerous Dave is refering to the same road but there is a B road between York and Thirsk that is ace fun to ride. nice windy corners with tight bends and some real nice pubs and scenery as you go. Also worth a look in.

You get to it by heading on the A59 to Harrogate and taking a B road that heads directly north, just east of Thirsk.

Bo

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday Peter and Myrna posted that they will be coming over to Newcastle (Ijmuiden-Newcastle ferry) in the middle of September.

They arrive at 0900 in the morning and will be heading out along Hadrians wall and riding to Windermere where they are planning to stay in a B&B in the general area for 3 nights. If anyone knows of any good places around this area please speak up :thumbup: ,Peter also wrote that he had heard a few stories about dangerous routes around the lakes which he was planning to avoid if the weather gets bad, does anyone have any experience in this? any nice stretches of road would be handy to know aswell as they will be riding for two days around this area.

Then they'll be taking a northerly route through the dales to a B&B in the Rippon/thirsk area. After that they will use this as a base to ride around the Dales some more and around the moors and on their last day heading back to Newcastle. So any tips concerning these areas wil be most welcome!

Here are a couple of other sites that I found:
motorcycleroadsonline
Yorkshirebikers
Northukbikers
Thebestrides

Thanks for all your help. Keep up the good work ;-)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is some you tube film footage of riding in Yorkshire.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwXA-zgc8w[/nomedia]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfh7t17nY4A&NR=1"]YouTube - Motorcycle ride North Yorkshire No2[/ame]

This ones a slide show but you can see some of the countryside.

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VvoupxBKrj4&feature=related"]YouTube - Yorkshire Bandit Forum Rideouts...[/ame]