Yet another chain question??

C

CombatPenguin

Ok I clean my chain with WD-40, and lube it with dupont teflon lube. After cleaning my chain it makes a clicking noise when I rotate the tire. Right after I lube the chain it stops. But soon as I go for a ride it starts clicking again, does anyone else have this? Is it normal. I have the slack set at about 2 inches from the pin in the chain when I push it down then up. I did look it's not hitting the sprocket teeth on the edges but it's not in the center of the sprocket either no matter how hard I try to adjust it. I can move the chain about an 1/8 of an inch side to side on the sprocket. I have just been eyeballing the alignment so far. Yes I am a noob that asks a lot of questions but I just want to get it right. Thanks for the help.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you pinpoint the noise? Based on your description, it sounds like your looking at rear sprocket and chain alignment. Does the noise appear to be coming from the teeth meshing with the sprocket?

Also, is it only a single link that appears to cause the noise or every link hitting the sprocket?

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a tight spot on the chain to me... I had a similar issue with my previous bike... I'm not sure how to remove the front srpocket cover on the FZ6, I haven't had mine long enough to need to check this yet, as the chain has to bend more to go round the smaller sprocket I would check that out and see if you can identify any tight spot there.

C

CombatPenguin

The chain and sprockets only have 4k miles on them. The noise is mainly from the rear sprocket. When I look and spin the tire slowly it doesn't seam to be from the chain hitting the sprocket wrong. The front makes a noise to but not as loud and I think that is the the transmision not the chain. I'm going to take the front sprocket cover and tire hugger off today to really get a good look. this is driving me nuts. MIght be time to do the 520 chain mod and go -1/+2.

C

CombatPenguin

I'm thinking it's normal, I have 6k miles on the bike now still makes the noise chains isn't to tight and I've noticed other bikes make the same noise.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did you look at the rear tire alignment. You will see tick marks like a ruler, see if they are the same on both sides.