Poor man's Givi - Ventura rack with RJays topbox

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
I really wanted to get a nice big Givi bag like everyone else in the forum - but in Oz that was going to set me back about $800 for the box and frames.

So I decided to make do with a poor man's version - an RJays top box (RJays Super Top Box)

Unfortunately the RJays top box doesn't have a frame suitable for the FZ6 so I bought a Ventura L frame and matched this with a sport rack.

2641880162_5ab95e3afb.jpg

Due to the grab handle on the sport rack, this was sitting a bit too far back for my liking, so I hit the rack with a hacksaw. It was a bit painful chopping the top of my brand new rack but it had to be done:

2641880230_d3bb9500cb.jpg

This meant I could slide the whole thing forward a bit, so the top box's baseplate was centred on the base of the sports rack:

2641052371_b0ae951d7e.jpg

It still sits fairly far back but there's not much I can do about that. I plan to install an extra brake light on the box when I get a chance. It's also probably not as secure as the Givi as someone could undo the bolts and remove the whole rack, but I've hit it with Loctite in the hope the thieving a-holes will give up!

So all in all, I'm pretty happy with my mod, which came in at less than 1/2 the price of the Givi.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
SteveL,

Nice work..I too want to get the Givi top rack, but I don't want to pay as much as they cost. I may still do it anyway. The rack its self is not as nice looking as the Givi or the other top rack mounting plates, but for half the price...I think it looks fine, also looks like if you wanted to hold down something other than the hard bag, that rack would work great.

Nice job, its fun to see what other people can come up with for alternatives to what we all know works. When you are riding along with that top bag full of stuff...no would know it wasn't a Givi.

Great job and it looks great.

Deano

Reaction score
Visit site
SteveL,
Thanks for a great idea.
Like many others out there I prefer options such as the Givi or Yammie Factory one but just can't justify the $$.
I reckon what you have done gets past this and doesn't look all that bad.
I would like to know what the spacing is between the two L Brackets where the Sport rack attaches as I have an old one from a VTR which i'm hoping to re-use.
Many thanks Kiwi Deano

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick tip, from experience the mounting brackets that secure the rack to your footrest hangers is prone to slipping, and as such the rubber mounts move, causing scratching of the footrest hangers....very annoying.

:thumbup:

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away. Wolfman, you're spot on - it has moved around a bit and scratched the footrest hangers. Damn.

Marina, there is a base-plate included with the topbox, which clamps around the grids on the Ventura rack.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I really wanted to get a nice big Givi bag like everyone else in the forum - but in Oz that was going to set me back about $800 for the box and frames.

So I decided to make do with a poor man's version - an RJays top box (RJays Super Top Box)

Unfortunately the RJays top box doesn't have a frame suitable for the FZ6 so I bought a Ventura L frame and matched this with a sport rack.

2641880162_5ab95e3afb.jpg

Due to the grab handle on the sport rack, this was sitting a bit too far back for my liking, so I hit the rack with a hacksaw. It was a bit painful chopping the top of my brand new rack but it had to be done:

2641880230_d3bb9500cb.jpg

This meant I could slide the whole thing forward a bit, so the top box's baseplate was centred on the base of the sports rack:

2641052371_b0ae951d7e.jpg

It still sits fairly far back but there's not much I can do about that. I plan to install an extra brake light on the box when I get a chance. It's also probably not as secure as the Givi as someone could undo the bolts and remove the whole rack, but I've hit it with Loctite in the hope the thieving a-holes will give up!

So all in all, I'm pretty happy with my mod, which came in at less than 1/2 the price of the Givi.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve

Do you keep the Ventura frame on your bike all the time?
I have one, but have never used it, or installed it on my bike. How easy/ hard is it to install/ remove?

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you keep the Ventura frame on your bike all the time? I have one, but have never used it, or installed it on my bike. How easy/ hard is it to install/ remove?

Oops, sorry for the slow reply. Yep, I leave this on the bike the whole time. The only time I remove the Givi topbox is when I need to get my rego done, as I'm not sure whether it's legal :)

I think it's probably a 5-10 minute job to remove the ventura frame, so probably not something you want to do every day.