Drilling Out the Baffles?

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if one can drill 3/8" or so holes in the OEM muffler baffles that you see inside the stock mufflers without having to adjust fuel injection, etc.

Can it be done without having a check engine light come on?
Anyone done it?

I'd sure like a louder set of pipes without having to actually shell out for them...

I watched a nimrod at work get his baffles drilled on his POS 2005 Harley Sportster 1200 with 28,000 miles on it, and it sounded LOUD!
(Though, ran like a ****ty lawnmower, stupid Harleys...)

What say you?

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it to my intruder and after a 1000 mile ride I went out and bought a stock exhaust and replaced it.

My advice is not to follow this route but to wait until you have the cash for another exhaust because if you drill them and do not like them then you are screwed.

Steve

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't care about cheap... What I really want to know is will this cause mixture issues or cause the engine light to come on?

It's just a thought.

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it in mine and the result is good. Not as good as I was expecting but still ok.

The sound is a bit louder and the mod for mufflers did not require to adjust fuel injection, or etc.

Just drill 'n go.

BUT: as someone said before: "(...) if you drill them and do not like them then you are screwed."

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can be done have done it, there are pictures here somewhere, sounds better, not as good as other mods, but cheap and some what effective. Nowhere too loud, just still tinie, not as much throat as expected, bbut i drilled 3 7/16 holes in each, and stepped a copuple up to 3/8. No engine light, and pulled 192km/h the other day and also have done airbox mod, no light.

Wahh12

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled a 7/8" hole in each side and have been happy with the result. No, it's not as nice as a new set of cans, but for the moment it gets me by. I ran a air/fuel gauge to monitor the engine to make sure it wasn't too rich or lean and everything checks out good.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had mine done by a proper exhaust guy, sounds awesome, and have not no trouble in 4000km's since. Bike pulls well in excess of 200km's an hour, sounds like a real bike, and i have not had to touch anything else!

Aussiejules has heard it.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Did mine yesterday
3/8 drill bit
3 holes on right side and the bit died, wouldn't drill left for love or money
So I think to myself, self better start it up to blow it out and I'll get another bit
Man it sounded nice and deep :rockon:
I don't want it any louder
The exhaust isn't split from the motor ,it all come in the muffler throw one pipe
It is what I would call a true muffler.
What I'm trying to get at the right side blows out strong and deep
The left is the stock sound SO I'm getting two diffrent notes and it sounds NICCCCE:eek::eek::eek:
I got in a 75 mile ride [45 chilly] and the bike ran smoooth and sounded like a sports car nice.
Just loud enough to be heard while taking off NICE:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Do'nt want it any louder so what do you all think about not drilling out the other side.:confused:
I've been playing with bikes for 40 so years so not worried just want your ideas on it.

:ban: OR :BLAA: