Anyone else have a sagging tail light?

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar looking tail light as mine. To my eye mine seems to be sagging which could let water and what not in. My bike when it is in position in the garage, is in a corner. So when I lean over to pull the cover down I must be putting pressure on the tail light. What do I have to take off to tighten it up again? :confused:

-Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar looking tail light as mine. To my eye mine seems to be sagging which could let water and what not in. My bike when it is in position in the garage, is in a corner. So when I lean over to pull the cover down I must be putting pressure on the tail light. What do I have to take off to tighten it up again? :confused:

-Thanks

Take the seat off and look toward the light. You'll see TWO, dark colored, medium sized phillips head screws. Tighten them up, should pull the light assembly right up.

If the plastic holes are stripped, put a very short piece of safety wire, (SS fishing line) in the hole parallel with the screw, it'll give it more bite...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the seat off and look toward the light. You'll see TWO, dark colored, medium sized phillips head screws. Tighten them up, should pull the light assembly right up.

If the plastic holes are stripped, put a very short piece of safety wire, (SS fishing line) in the hole parallel with the screw, it'll give it more bite...
+1 on the above, also lift the tail light up and see if the thin foam lining that the tail light lens rest on is there. If it's missing it will let the lens sag like that.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
My old FZ6s1 was quite bad for that, i messed with the screens and made no difference, i believe its made to have some play to absorb vibration. My FZ6n1 is a bit tighter then my old one but still has play in the tail light

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Really?!

My tail light has been sagging and loose (wiggles up and down) since I bought the bike with 1 mile on the odometer!

I never thought anything of it until I read this.

Is the tail light supposed to be solid mounted? Mine definitely has about 1/4" of play.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Really?!

My tail light has been sagging and loose (wiggles up and down) since I bought the bike with 1 mile on the odometer!

I never thought anything of it until I read this.

Is the tail light supposed to be solid mounted? Mine definitely has about 1/4" of play.

Mine moves up and down about 1/4" too..

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that it's by design. It's easier on the bulb if it's allowed a bit of wiggle room, thus the rubber mounted screws on both the headlights and the taillight. If it's firmly attached to the frame and you hit a big bump, it could jar the filament enough to kill the bulb.

These are my thoughts and attempts at understanding it, using a reverse scientific method, trying to explain/find reasons why something was done, assuming there was good reason behind the decision.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that it's by design. It's easier on the bulb if it's allowed a bit of wiggle room, thus the rubber mounted screws on both the headlights and the taillight. If it's firmly attached to the frame and you hit a big bump, it could jar the filament enough to kill the bulb.

These are my thoughts and attempts at understanding it, using a reverse scientific method, trying to explain/find reasons why something was done, assuming there was good reason behind the decision.

That makes perfect sense to me. Bike suspension does not absorb shock as well as car suspensions and halogen filaments do not like shock.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rubber is for your protection!! It keeps the lights on even when things are flopping about! :spank: :spank: :BLAA:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rubber is for your protection!! It keeps the lights on even when things are flopping about! :spank: :spank: :BLAA:

No comment!!!:eek:

Just an FYI, you'll also find the rear bulb is NOT a standard 1157. Yamaha puts three stems on one of the filiments to help extend the life of the bulb. The Yamaha bulb is also slightly brighter than a standard 1157 as I compared them next to each other on my old FJR (two tail lights) after I broke one bulb accidentally. Put both in their harnesses, next to each other you can definitly tell the difference..

The assembly is indeed, rubber mounted, for vibration...

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops, my stock bulb burned out years ago, and it's had a 1157 in it ever since.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops, my stock bulb burned out years ago, and it's had a 1157 in it ever since.

It'll work, just slightly dimmer and definitly not as sturdy as the stocker.

With just one bulb in the rear (unless you have added on taillights, ie Hyperlights), if that filment burns out at night, you just about invisable...