Push Start ?

johnny2bad

Reaction score
Visit site
This is actually a hypothetical question, I'm just curios.

Is it possible to push start a fz-6 with a flat battery? ( IE: put it in second gear, pull in clutch lever, push it up to speed, dump clutch.

I've had bikes in the past, that needed a certain level of voltage in the battery before the plugs would fire. In the case of the FZ6, I am wondering about the fuel pump not running or maybe the ECU not booted etc.

So if I had accidently left my lights on overnight, can I push start the bike, or will a jump start be required.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I've push started my 08 with a completely dead battery before. Left the key on while I was at work. So I mean, no display, no fuel pump noise, nothing. Rode it down the loading ramp at my work. Just got on, let go of the brake, then dumped the clutch at the bottom.

Suzuki GS500F I borrowed from my buddy with a flat battery... not so much.

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
yes they will, ive had to do mine many times, my leds will drain my batt fast! even when its running, but usually only if i have the lights on bright.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep - I did this on Sunday. Winter in Cleveland isn't great to my battery, and without power in my garage I didn't use the tender.

Pulled it out, not quite enough juice to crank it. Using about 15 yards and my roommate I was able to get it going fast enough to start it in 2nd in the drive way and then pulled the clutch and break right before I ran into the garage door. Definitely easier with a hill, or if you're on the bike (better grip/traction) but completely doable if you have the space.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to add my experience to this. Yes it is possible even with a completely dead battery, but if your battery is really dead then it can be very difficult. I left my keys in my bike and on :eek: one day in a public parking lot for several hours and came out to a dead dead dead battery. The thing wouldn't even light up a single light on the cluster or even think about priming the fuel pump. Push or pop starting from a completely dead condition can be very difficult because of the electronic fuel injection. I was eventually successful but it took maybe 10-20 attempts as I remember and each time it wouldn't make enough power for the computer to wake up and start squirting fuel. Pop starting is much easier on a carbed bike because of the lack of computer control over most functions. The computer needs a little bit of power to start doing all of its functions to make the bike start, and sometimes just a single push can't provide enough power. I ended up having to pull the wiring harness from the back of the headlights to salvage as much power as I could for the computer.

ETA check out my original post on the subject here with discussion from others

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/43327-pop-starting-fz6-dummies.html

Last edited: