Brake light no longer works when rear brake pedal is pressed.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

Thought I would post this to see if I could get some input on my little problem. I recently changed the rear tire on my 2007 Yamaha FZ6, and it appears ever since then that when the rear brake pedal is pressed, the rear brake light no longer lights up. (Not sure if the tire change even has anything to do with it?) However front brake lever still causes the brake light to light up, which leads me to believe that a problem has arisen with the rear brake pedal switch perhaps? Today I checked the 'tail' fuse to see if it had blown, but it appeared to be perfectly fine, which makes sense because the brake light still works, just not the rear brake lever. Anywho, it looks like the only way to get to the switch is to remove the pedal and all of the linkage, am I correct? Or does anyone have any other idea as to why it is not working correctly? Thanks a bunch. :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull and push the switch that connects the spring to the rear linkage. Does the light come on. If so the switch is good.You can adjust the travel of the switch by screwing the switch barrel up or down in its mounting.
Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree^^^ That rear brake switch sounds like the culprit unless there's a wire or plug problem. Another quick way to know whether your brake light fuse is good is if the horn works. The horn and the brake light share the same fuse and that fuse is just for your brake and horn. Nothing else shares that circuit.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree^^^ That rear brake switch sounds like the culprit unless there's a wire or plug problem. Another quick way to know whether your brake light fuse is good is if the horn works. The horn and the brake light share the same fuse and that fuse is just for your brake and horn. Nothing else shares that circuit.
That's very hand y to know, thanks.

Neil

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Pull and push the switch that connects the spring to the rear linkage. Does the light come on. If so the switch is good.You can adjust the travel of the switch by screwing the switch barrel up or down in its mounting.
Neil

I am not exactly sure what switch you are talking about, when I look at it I see a spring that connects to the linkage and then goes up to what is probably the switch. I tried pushing and pulling the spring, and I pushed the switch a few times but nothing ever happened.

I think it may be the switch, I didn't try your horn trick, because I am 98% sure the fuse is fine because the tail light still works, and I pulled the fuse out and looked at it and it looked fine.

Thanks for the responses!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just changing the wheel shouldn't make a diffference.

Pulling the switch innerd shaft downward should activate the light. The spring inbetween just takes up the play.

You can adjust the switch by turning the plastic nut thru the aluminum side peg mount (kinda tight but doable). You want to adjust the switch so its further away pulling the switch (shaft also) out farther.

If it doesn't work, follow the wires and check the connector. Its somewhat rare that switch fails.

Before I would replace it (if it seems to be the culprit), I would take the switch off and work some WD 40 or other cleaner in the switch. The contacts could be nasty...

BTW, the two main allan head bolts that holds the right foot asssembly to the main frame, if their removed, you have access to the switch and everything else. Your just limited by the wire and brake hose from pulling it out too far...

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Just changing the wheel shouldn't make a diffference.

Pulling the switch innerd shaft downward should activate the light. The spring inbetween just takes up the play.

You can adjust the switch by turning the plastic nut thru the aluminum side peg mount (kinda tight but doable). You want to adjust the switch so its further away pulling the switch (shaft also) out farther.

If it doesn't work, follow the wires and check the connector. Its somewhat rare that switch fails.

Before I would replace it (if it seems to be the culprit), I would take the switch off and work some WD 40 or other cleaner in the switch. The contacts could be nasty...

BTW, the two main allan head bolts that holds the right foot asssembly to the main frame, if their removed, you have access to the switch and everything else. Your just limited by the wire and brake hose from pulling it out too far...

Thanks for the help, I just found that if I press it hard enough it will light up, so your're right about it just needing adjustment. Not really sure what you mean about spinning the plastic nut, for me it only spins as far as the spring will let it. If I am actually looking at what you are talking about, pulling the innerd shaft doesn't light up the tail light for me. Here is a pic of what I am looking at: