horn issues please help :)

mattyb1500

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm having issues with my horn. I tried beeping some blind woman on the roads. It started but after a second it just stopped.
The indicators and break lights still work so I don't think it's a fuse issue. I'm probably going to install a stebel horn at some point. Basically how do I know whether or not the switch is broken or the horn has just packed in.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you got a multi meter to test the contacts? When button is pressed you should get a reading or swap the fuse over for known working one.

Defo upgrade it, it's great having a fook off loud horn! :D

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm having issues with my horn. I tried beeping some blind woman on the roads. It started but after a second it just stopped.
The indicators and break lights still work so I don't think it's a fuse issue. I'm probably going to install a stebel horn at some point. Basically how do I know whether or not the switch is broken or the horn has just packed in.

A list of possibilities for the horn failing to sound as provided within the Service Manual:

- Improperly adjusted horn
- Damaged or Faulty Horn
- Faulty main switch
- Fault horn switch
- Faulty battery
- Blown, damaged or incorrect fuse
- Faulty wiring harness

Providing the signal fuse is ok, as you've said the indicators are working, I'd probably check the resistance of the horn unit itself next. The manual specifies a resistance of 1.01 to 1.11 Ohms at 20 Degrees C.

From the circuit diagram I can't tell whether the live or earth is switched, either way, its probably also worth checking that a 12V feed is being supplied to the horn unit, be it permanent or switched.

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

mattyb1500

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for your speedy response's. I do havea multimeter but I think it might be broken aswell >.< I plugged it into a 12v supply and got nothing, so I am hoping it is just a broken horn.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be careful of the polarity the black wire on the horn is negative (-) :)

Just checked my old FZ horn and old FJR horn, neither are marked.. Both, when hooked to a battery, even when swapping lines, sounded the same...

The wiring diagram does show when looking at the horn, the left side terminal is +, the right side -

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked my old FZ horn and old FJR horn, neither are marked.. Both, when hooked to a battery, even when swapping lines, sounded the same...

The wiring diagram does show when looking at the horn, the left side terminal is +, the right side -

Correct! I was cautioning that if you just buss voltage to a pin on the horn direct from the battery and the horn is plugged in, there may be a polarity issue because one pin will be held to ground. :)

The horn has 2 black wires...