More progressive feel on brakes?

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang,
I went to the track last Monday and my brakes felt terrible. It was all or nothing and they were chattering. I want to know if their is anything I can do to get a more progressive feel.

What are the best pads for the track?

Thanks,
Mike

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming you're running stock pads and lines, you overheated the pads.

I'm running the EBC HH pads with stainless steel braided lines, a tremendous improvement in feel, progessiveness and control.

Definitely upgrade to stainless lines, if you haven't already, and upgrade the pads. As said, the HH pads have been great for me, track or street. You can go nuts with the EBC ExtremePro pads for track, but you'll rarely get these hot enough on the street to give you reliable brakes.

If the HH pads aren't enough for you, consider going to a more track-oriented bike with better calipers, etc

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great advice thanks. Although my wife might not appreciate the nudge toward a track bike. But i do! I have the SS lines ready to install and I'll get some of those pads tonight.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for EBC sintered pads and stainless steel lines. Also new fluid.

If you have a stock 2005 with the 2 piston calipers, you might want to think about R6 forks/brakes or 2007+ FZ6 forks/brakes, which are 4 piston and a whole lot better.

C

CoolATIGuy

When was the last time you bled your brakes? Is your fluid clear, amber, brown or black?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ What he said in addition to new pads and SS lines. If the fluid is brown or black its time for fresh fluid. It's inexpensive and doesn't take that much time to do. I've gotten in the habit of changing mine twice a year. I like the Motul 6000. It's about $16.00 a bottle but is very good. Just use DOT4, don't bother with DOT5.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on SS lines and EBC brakes
might also be worth upgrading your susension a bit too, to stiffen it up

with my cbr the bike felt like the rear was lifting with not much pressure on the brake
with my fz6 i have bottomed out the forks and had the tyres clattering to a stop under heavy braking

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming you went to Loudon, I had the same experience my first time there with the FZ6.

Immediately did Stainless lines and EBC HH pads. Definitely helped with brake feel a LOT.

That said, stopping power is still lacking a bit. It's good enough for most people but once you get to the faster groups pace you'll start to want more.

Did you do a Tony's day?

C

CoolATIGuy

^^^ What he said in addition to new pads and SS lines. If the fluid is brown or black its time for fresh fluid. It's inexpensive and doesn't take that much time to do. I've gotten in the habit of changing mine twice a year. I like the Motul 6000. It's about $16.00 a bottle but is very good. Just use DOT4, don't bother with DOT5.

I use prestone DOT4 from WM, $4/bottle - and Pepboys has an inexpensive bottle/tubing bleed kit for $8. fyi to OP

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
are you sure its a brake problem,my stock fork springs were shot at 7000 miles and i was getting chatter and a poor brake feel,two up it was difficult stopping,almost dangerous,did the hyperpro fork spring upgrade and nothing to the brakes and the differance is unbelievable i can now stand the bike on its nose,however i find the springs a little hard under normal riding the front tends to bob a bit so looking to soften them a bit,as a side note i had a 600 bandit before and the brakes always came better after a track day with heavy use

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure it was a brake problem. But I hope it is because this was my first time out on the track after upgrading the front forks with race techs gold valves. If its not the brakes, I'll be bummed.

I have the brake fluid SS lines and will get the pads soon. I'm hoping that's the end of this!

But yes, I was at Loudon with Fishtail Riding School and had a blast. Except for the braking part. I got bumped from group C to B in the first lap which was a nice vote of confidence but without being able to brake hard, I didn't feel confident. Now I spend my days daydreaming about what track bike to get!! Addiction...

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Use some Brake-Kleen or similar chemical to clean the floating buttons that hold the rotors on to the carrier rings. This will help to greatly reduce front brake chatter.

Refer to the image below...

picture.php

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not have chatter but there was a lack of braking power. Turned out there was rust in the brake pistons (or whatever they are called).
First thing the mechanic said was 'how did youy do that, only happens if the brakes get very hot and wet'. I have done track days in the rain, amazing how fast one can go in the wet.
My bike has ss brake lines and upgraded suspension.