Any Known Good 1157 LEDs out there? Please comment tks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just curious if anyone who kept the OEM tail light put in an 1157 LED set? How is it holding up, is it worth investing in?

The basic Incandescent version has specs close to these.
The key element being the lumens/candela and life span.
High Element 1157 bulb
Volts: 12.8
AMPS: 2.10
WATTS: 26.8
CANDELA: 32
LUMENS: 402
Apr Life: 1200hrs

Low Element 1157 bulb
Volts: 12.8
AMPS: 0.64
WATTS: 8.3
CANDELA: 3
LUMENS: 38
Apr Life: 5000hrs

Hopefully LED replacements do better than the home application of CFL lights which cost a fortune and burn out year before a stand incandescent lamp does.

Thanks

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not gonna take the time to format this and make it all pretty but one of the leading manf for 12V LED 1157 falls massively short. . . .

A basic $3 incandescent 1157 can output ~400 lumens
A LED 1157 costing $26 has a killer output of 220 lumens. . .

OUCH!!!! What a waste. . . perhaps its not apples to apples . . .

Mod# color Volts ma~current Lum~output Wavelength nm Pattern cost
=============================================================
1157-W24 Cool White 9~14.8 24/61ma 15/45Lum 8500 18/100 12.99

1157-W45-T Cool White 9~14.8v 35/235ma 55/220lum 7500 360 24.95

1157-CW30SMD-SP Cool White 7~14.5v 65/255ma 30/130lum 9900 120 19.95

1157-W3X1W Cool White 9~14.5v 25/205ma 25/135lum 7100 90/130 16.95

1157-W3W Cool White 12~24v 76/270ma 30/105lum 7100 320 12.95

1157-CW1W-G Cool White 12v 20/90ma 10/70Lum 6100 180 12.95

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a rotating/flashing LED bulb installed.
Don't remember exactly but it was like $10 USD and took 1 minute to install.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmo11gxIcJI]LED rotating light - YouTube[/ame]

peteehoward

Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot remember where i got my current one but i think it was off of amazon. I have tried both the round one with little bumps and the "tower" one that has the yellow patches and have found that the tower ones give off a lot more light. If you are still planning on doing this i would suggest that you spend the extra money and buy a tower one.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
1157 1156 Autolumination.com leds (Automotive Replacement Light Bulbs, Headlights, Foglights & Lamps)

Scroll down that page, and check out the Eagle Eye 5. I first had that one on my TW200 for about a year, then I put in the FZ6 instead, as the FZ became my commuter. It's been another two years since, and it's still going strong. It appears to be about the same brightness as the stocker(maybe a touch brighter, probably due to the directional output of LED's), only it comes on noticeably quicker. It's the only LED of any kind I've had last more than two months on the FZ, so it's a winner in my book. LOL

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1157 1156 Autolumination.com leds (Automotive Replacement Light Bulbs, Headlights, Foglights & Lamps)

Scroll down that page, and check out the Eagle Eye 5. I first had that one on my TW200 for about a year, then I put in the FZ6 instead, as the FZ became my commuter. It's been another two years since, and it's still going strong. It appears to be about the same brightness as the stocker(maybe a touch brighter, probably due to the directional output of LED's), only it comes on noticeably quicker. It's the only LED of any kind I've had last more than two months on the FZ, so it's a winner in my book. LOL

Hey thanks for keeping an eye on this!
This one? View attachment 42508
For $19.99 and it compares to the output of a cheaper incandescent? The last thing I want is to loose visibility!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that's the one. Just be sure to get it in red, if you go for that one. Like I said, it might be a touch dimmer, but it was hard for me to tell the difference. All the light seems to throw in a rearward direction, rather than just make the whole thing "glow" like the stock incan bulbs.

They've got some higher wattage ones at the top of the page that'd probably do great as well, but I'm worried they might overheat, or get killed by vibration. I'd rather not gamble $35 to find out. lol

Jone

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed this one:
45 High Power SMD LED 1156/1157 Tower Bulb Specifications

The red version is only 120 lumen, but to me it looked about as bright as the old gas bulb. It works well with the reflector, you will have to look very closely to see that it is a LED in there.

I see that Lumen are compared in this thread, but can you really do that? A gas bulb will emit ~400 lumen in all directions and spread over the color spectrum. The red glass will filter out most of the colors. Will not the light output in Lumen be reduced greatly by the red glass?

Jone

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

The red version is only 120 lumen, but to me it looked about as bright as the old gas bulb. It works well with the reflector, you will have to look very closely to see that it is a LED in there.

I see that Lumen are compared in this thread, but can you really do that? A gas bulb will emit ~400 lumen in all directions and spread over the color spectrum. The red glass will filter out most of the colors. Will not the light output in Lumen be reduced greatly by the red glass?

Jone

Yes. LED's are spot/beam/directional lights at a specified frequency. Incandesant bulbs are omni-directional lights (or point lights) with a broad spectrum. Most of the lumonisty of an incandecent is lost in the red "filter". The lumen scale is also greatly affected by frequency and spectrum.

There are lots of good reasons that this comparison can't work; but to simplify, a 200 lumen spot light will appear brighter than a 400 lumen point light without a reflector. Even with a perfect reflector and no filtering to change color, it only bumps the comparison to 250 vs 400. (Even though the reflector turns the light into a "spot light", the apparent emmision source is the whole reflector, and the LED has a point about 1mm or less. The larger emmision source weakens the overall lumenosity. The LED is 200 lumens per square mm, and the incandesant becomes 400 lumens per, oh, 3 or 4 square inches.)

That being said, spot lights don't do well with reflectors unless it was designed specifically for them; a reflector has a hard time "spreading out" a spot light. So if you get a tower LED bulb make sure it has some pointing backwards. And keep in mind that most LED bulb companies just list the lumen value per LED. So even though spot lights aren't as effective with reflectors if you have 24 LEDs at 240 lumens with none of this being lost because of the color shift in the lens, then it would still probably appear as bright or brighter than a point light.

Okay, I'm done nerding out for the moment. :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Jone

When you order, order the red!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. LED's are spot/beam/directional lights at a specified frequency. Incandesant bulbs are omni-directional lights (or point lights) with a broad spectrum. Most of the lumonisty of an incandecent is lost in the red "filter". The lumen scale is also greatly affected by frequency and spectrum.

There are lots of good reasons that this comparison can't work; but to simplify, a 200 lumen spot light will appear brighter than a 400 lumen point light without a reflector. Even with a perfect reflector and no filtering to change color, it only bumps the comparison to 250 vs 400. (Even though the reflector turns the light into a "spot light", the apparent emmision source is the whole reflector, and the LED has a point about 1mm or less. The larger emmision source weakens the overall lumenosity. The LED is 200 lumens per square mm, and the incandesant becomes 400 lumens per, oh, 3 or 4 square inches.)

That being said, spot lights don't do well with reflectors unless it was designed specifically for them; a reflector has a hard time "spreading out" a spot light. So if you get a tower LED bulb make sure it has some pointing backwards. And keep in mind that most LED bulb companies just list the lumen value per LED. So even though spot lights aren't as effective with reflectors if you have 24 LEDs at 240 lumens with none of this being lost because of the color shift in the lens, then it would still probably appear as bright or brighter than a point light.

Okay, I'm done nerding out for the moment. :BLAA:

Thanks for sharing the nerd side. . . Good info and I appreciate it!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a LED brake/tail light bulb, "Direct Replacement for 1157" it says on the package. It don't work? Wont' come on for the running light or the brake light. The old 1157 works fine when I stick it back in .What do ya think is up with that?

Could be a bad unit. Since it's LED it has to be forward biased. If reverse biased/polarity it will not light but that would be internal in the lamp assembly.

The unit you have should have 2 contacts at the bottom of the lamp assembly. It should be the same as your OEM lamp. Is it?

Oh yeah! :welcome: to our awesome forum!

Last edited: