Trip to Europe

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Me and a friend will be touring round Europe towards the end of April for two weeks. This is what we have planned.

EuropeRouteRev3IncPoints.jpg

This is our first time touring, I will be using a 2005 FZ6 and my mate is using a 1200GS. Was hoping for some advice, what to look out for, any cool things to see or not be missed near our route?

Cheers,

Az

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like you plan on using the M6 on your way into manchester

AVOID IT!

you're missing some of the best biking roads in the country

go through the peak distract

here's my (slightly longer) rough idea of a route that i'd do to get to manc

Derby, UK to Manchester, UK - Google Maps

you could probably shorten it, but there's a few essential roads you need to hit when you're in the area:

the cat and fiddle (a537 macclesfield to buxton, sadly it has speed cameras)
snake pass (a57 glossop to ladybower reservoir, no speed cameras, but watch out for the police helicopter)
the a523 has some nice fast sweeping bends
the a5004 from buxton is also quite a nice little road

here's a list of some of the top biking roads, most of them are in derbyshire:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10454356

Last edited:

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
looks like you plan on using the M6 on your way into manchester

AVOID IT!

you're missing some of the best biking roads in the country

go through the peak distract

here's my (slightly longer) rough idea of a route that i'd do to get to manc

Derby, UK to Manchester, UK - Google Maps

you could probably shorten it, but there's a few essential roads you need to hit when you're in the area:

the cat and fiddle (a537 macclesfield to buxton, sadly it has speed cameras)
snake pass (a57 glossop to ladybower reservoir, no speed cameras, but watch out for the police helicopter)
the a523 has some nice fast sweeping bends
the a5004 from buxton is also quite a nice little road

here's a list of some of the top biking roads, most of them are in derbyshire:
BBC News - 'Most dangerous' roads in Britain named by safety group

Hi Greg thanks for the reply, I regularly go biking round the peak district, the route is a rough guide and we will probably end up going through the A57 to join the M1. Were burning through England and will need to get to Folkestone in around 6 hours to catch our ferry, should be enough time hopefully.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you taking the autoroutes in France? Don't forget that you have to pay the tolls and this can add up (although it's cheaper for bikes - but make sure you pay at a booth with a person, not the automatic card machines, or you don't get the cheaper rate!). Some toll stations have a special bike lane/booth to the far right.

The autoroutes are quick but boring. Lots of rest stops and petrol stations on them though (although the price of fuel is pricey). If you break down on the autoroute, your breakdown cover (AA or RAC etc) will NOT be able to help you. You have to use the recovery service provided by the autoroute company (it's because it's classed as a private road). Of course this is expensive!

You could take the national routes which for the most part run parallel to the autoroutes. Nicer roads (mix of dual and single carriageways), no tolls but they take a lot longer.

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you taking the autoroutes in France? Don't forget that you have to pay the tolls and this can add up (although it's cheaper for bikes - but make sure you pay at a booth with a person, not the automatic card machines, or you don't get the cheaper rate!). Some toll stations have a special bike lane/booth to the far right.

The autoroutes are quick but boring. Lots of rest stops and petrol stations on them though (although the price of fuel is pricey). If you break down on the autoroute, your breakdown cover (AA or RAC etc) will NOT be able to help you. You have to use the recovery service provided by the autoroute company (it's because it's classed as a private road). Of course this is expensive!

You could take the national routes which for the most part run parallel to the autoroutes. Nicer roads (mix of dual and single carriageways), no tolls but they take a lot longer.

Hi Davey, from the sounds of it looks like we'll be sticking to the national routes, Thanks.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
when you enter Belgium, get off the highway and take your time to cruise through flanders fields before hitting bruges. The history of that area always makes me modest and lucky that we can lead the life we lead. For the trip Bruges - Ettelbruck you can easely spent some time discovering the ardennes as well.

If you're in Verona for 2 days, i would take the adventage a trip around the Garda lake but just make sure you travel the good (north) side and not the "blase" touristic side. ... and don't forget to touch juliet's boob and write bad words on the wall ;)

other then that i do agree with above posters ... avoid the highways when possible... try to find a balance between getting on them to travel distance and getting off them to have some variation and nature ;)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have only been there in June and July so don't know how the roads in Switzerland will be. If they are open and safe for bikes (probably not in late April) the Furka and Grimsel passes are great bike roads. The area around Lake Como has some twisty roads. Have done the Amalfi coast on a scooter a couple of times and it would be great on my FZ6 - my wife will ride on the back of a scooter on that road but refuses to ride on my FZ6 here. Drivers in Europe are much better and more aware than the smart phone drivers here. Could that be smart phones dumb drivers!?!? As mentioned the tolls do add up but they autoroute/autostrada roads are quicker. Gas and food are predictable but you miss the charm of the local countryside. The coast around Genoa has some interesting motorcycle roads. Drove from Florence to the coast south of Genoa once and then on to Milan - was not a fast trip but very interesting. The roads perfect for bikes and which we saw a number of including a race replica Ducati. I was going to go via Bilognia and see the Ducati museum but my son wanted to go by the coast. I lost!

Chri5

Reaction score
Visit site
me and mrs did a very similar route last year, if you aint left and your camping some of it we found an amazing place to stay in munich called "the tent"
THE TENT dead cheap, beer for 2euros for a litre with a 1 euro token if you buy another and take the bottle back, amazing food for a couple of euros and a brillant atmosphere as its a back packers hostel (altho it can be noisey at night till about 1am) its just outside the centre, we endded up staying 2 nights just to relax a bit. Make sure you dont go through the black forest in germany to quick it was one of my favorite bits. well i hope you have a cracking time , ride safe

chris

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot about this thread...I can't wait to read/view the ride report!!

I'd forgotten about it too lol.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, we delayed the trip by a month (weather was pretty shocking all around Europe) and will now be going in 11 days time :)

I'll be taking my Drift HD action camera so should hopefully have some great footage and will also be taking plenty of pictures. Can't wait!!

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Me and a friend will be touring round Europe towards the end of April for two weeks. This is what we have planned.

EuropeRouteRev3IncPoints.jpg

This is our first time touring, I will be using a 2005 FZ6 and my mate is using a 1200GS. Was hoping for some advice, what to look out for, any cool things to see or not be missed near our route?

Cheers,

Az

You will be traveling really colse to neuschwanstein castle. It is one of the most famous castles in Germany if not the most famous one. Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung | Schloss Neuschwanstein | Besucher-Info | Allgemeine Informationen It is slightly out of the way but could be a waypoint for you on your way to Munich. It is about 1.5 hours to munich from there. The rodes are amazing down there! Make sure to get a pass once you cross the border of Austria, it is cheap (less than 20 euro) you will see signs where they sell them. The times I have been down there the police have been looking for these as you go down the road. Once in Munich you have to go to the Hofbrauhaus! Hofbräuhaus München Parking sucks down there so once you find a spot take it. I have taken vacation down in this area a few times and want to go back. You will love the trip you are taking! I have been to all but one of the countries you are going through and have been amazed with all of them!

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

It looks like a very nice trip you are planning. My boyfriend and I did a trip around the Eastern Alps in 2010, however starting from the eastern part of the continent (Bulgaria) and also later on during the year, in August.
Here's how our track for the Alps looked like:
route.jpg

I am fully supporting the idea for the castles in Southern Germany - Neuschwanstein and the area around is a very beautiful place to see, so if you have a chance consider stopping by.
IMG_4721.JPG

As far as I am aware, this is just the time of the year that the highest passes are being opened. The Stelvio Pass should be opened by mid-May on, the scenery is magnificent, but my guess is it will be quite cold this time of the year. However, with the mountain you never know - we had snow and not more than 5 degrees Celsius on the 13th of August. :rockon:
Alpine Passes

So my advice will be - check out the weather forecast and if there's a chance for good weather conditions ride around the passes.

In Slovenia you need to buy vignette stickers from the petrol station right after the border. The lowest fare for a motorcycle is 7.5 euro as far as I see from this website:
Vignette - Toll Stickers 2012 - FAQ - Slovenia - Official Travel Guide -

I Slovenia if you have a chance visit the Triglav National Park - it also offers magnificent scenery and beautiful curvy roads for bikers.

IMG_5220.JPG

Good luck with the trip and I will be looking forward to your trip report :)

Silvia

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great suggestion guys.

I've spent the past few days prepping my bike. Removed the alarm system (was a real pain and killed my battery), done a full service and tonight I'll be replacing my clutch cable (was quite worn).

Bring on next Saturday :rockon:

nr4000

Reaction score
Visit site
When in Vienna: Do not miss the area North of 19th District/Döbling and see the wineyards in the hilly landscape with the narrow roads and the perfect view over the city. Stop and have a meal at one of the Heurigers. Tasty and traditional Austrian. Skip the Heuriger, if you prefer vegan ;-) Enjoy!