picked up an 04 yesterday and the oil is yellow

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
not foamy milky like a coolant leak but clearish bright yellow, never seen anything like it before. I is supposed to be fresh but I think I may change it out anyway. what do you guys think?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a way to contact the previous owner to find out what kind of oil he was running?

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Sent an email out to the dealership that the previous owner purchased the bike from since they did the oil change.
I was curious because it doesnt feel very slick and its very thin.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Regardless of what anyone tells me upon buying a new vehicle, the first thing I always do is change the oil. If for nothing else, the peace of mind is worth the small cost.

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
pink oil? yikes!!!!!!!!!!!
Picked up a few quarts of Rotella T6 and a Bosch filter today at Wallyworld gonna try and get it all changed out this week. I have not registered or insured it yet so I'm not really riding it until later in the week.
Never heard from the stealership and I don't think I'll even bother calling.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is all the oil like that or just what's on the dipstick?

not foamy milky like a coolant leak but clearish bright yellow, never seen anything like it before. I is supposed to be fresh but I think I may change it out anyway. what do you guys think?

Sent an email out to the dealership that the previous owner purchased the bike from since they did the oil change.
I was curious because it doesnt feel very slick and its very thin.

If you can't verify that the oil is new, change it. 30 minutes of your time and a couple of bucks for the peace of mind is worth it to me. Then check the oil that you put in to see if it starts turning colors on you.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
If the oil have been setting there for a while... Either water or a lot of condensation and moisture... That's the only thing that can make the oil turn yellow/brownish...

If it was my call... I'll put 3Q of cheap oil to run it for 30-50 miles and dump it right away with new filter just to clean everything up. That's cheap peace of mind... just a suggestion.

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it was changed back in August and only 150 miles have been put on it since. I bought some oil and a filter yesterday and hopefully Ill get ti changed in the next few days. Ill try and snap a pic of it but it doesnt look like any oil I have ever used.
Do these bikes come with some sort of quick change drain plug or something? There is a big knob where the drain plug is.
And i assume the filters are the samy through all fz6 years? I bought one that was listed on a search result for a 2007 model for my 2004.
Thanks!
KEN

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it was changed back in August and only 150 miles have been put on it since. I bought some oil and a filter yesterday and hopefully Ill get ti changed in the next few days. Ill try and snap a pic of it but it doesnt look like any oil I have ever used.
Do these bikes come with some sort of quick change drain plug or something? There is a big knob where the drain plug is.
And i assume the filters are the samy through all fz6 years? I bought one that was listed on a search result for a 2007 model for my 2004.
Thanks!
KEN

It sounds like the drain plug is aftermarket. What comes stock is a typical "bolt" style drain plug.

The filters, as far as I know, are the same across the board for all the model years.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Before you drain it, is it over-full when on center stand and kiss the threads to case? Any chance someone added something that didn't belong? You know, the mischief kind??? Hopefully not.

Ditto - I'd dump 3.5 qts of cheap dyno oil in it and ride it for 20+ miles. Dump it. Then replace that with what ever you intend to run.

I've seen old automatic transmission fluid turn yellow from varnish, but never engine oil.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Before you drain it, is it over-full when on center stand and kiss the threads to case? Any chance someone added something that didn't belong? You know, the mischief kind??? Hopefully not.

Ditto - I'd dump 3.5 qts of cheap dyno oil in it and ride it for 20+ miles. Dump it. Then replace that with what ever you intend to run.

I've seen old automatic transmission fluid turn yellow from varnish, but never engine oil.

3 quarts. 3.5 would over fill

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3 quarts. 3.5 would over fill

I think your right. . . :rolleyes:

From the service manual

Engine oil quantity
Total amount 3.40 L (3.59 US qt) (2.99 Imp.qt)
Without oil filter cartridge replacement 2.50 L (2.64 US qt) (2.20 Imp.qt)
With oil filter cartridge replacement 2.80 L (2.96 US qt) (2.46 Imp.qt)
Oil pressure 240 kPa at 6,600 r/min
(2.4 kg/cm² at 6,600 r/min)
(2.4 bar at 6,600 r/min)
(34.1 psi at 6,600 r/min)

I guess you have to throw it on its side to get all the oil out! :thumbup: :spank:

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a crazy question, but how much fresh oil have you seen? It's pretty much always yellow.

And when you change the oil, all of it is not sitting in the gallery. A good bit stays in the transmission and pump mechanism.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a crazy question, but how much fresh oil have you seen? It's pretty much always yellow.

And when you change the oil, all of it is not sitting in the gallery. A good bit stays in the transmission and pump mechanism.

Most of the oil in the gallery and oil pump drains out when you remove the filter. If you don't remove the filter, the check valve in the filter prevents it from draining which is why it's good to change filter every oil change.

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Seen plenty of oil in my lifetime to know orange yellow aint right.
Changed it yesterday and lubed cables and pivots and installed a LED plate brakelight I had lying around.