Slight Grinding Sound - front wheel?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I noticed something odd. As I was rolling my bike forward (it was off, and in the Neutral position) I heard a slight grinding noise what appeared to be coming off from the front wheel. It kind of reminded me of the noise I would occasionally hear if something was stuck by the front wheel of a bicycle. It was not a horrible grinding like Grsshfhhghhhhhsrg!but more subtle like SHHHHHHHHHH...

Has anyone heard that? If one of you can, while in neutral and off, can you roll your bike forward and back let me know if you hear anything like a "SHHHH" sound. Thanks.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I noticed something odd. As I was rolling my bike forward (it was off, and in the Neutral position) I heard a slight grinding noise what appeared to be coming off from the front wheel. It kind of reminded me of the noise I would occasionally hear if something was stuck by the front wheel of a bicycle. It was not a horrible grinding like Grsshfhhghhhhhsrg!but more subtle like SHHHHHHHHHH...

Has anyone heard that? If one of you can, while in neutral and off, can you roll your bike forward and back let me know if you hear anything like a "SHHHH" sound. Thanks.
Is it the brake pads on the disc?
Does the whel spinn freely by hand?
Can you feel the point of contact where the noise occcurs by hand?
Have you greased the spindle or bearings in a while?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it may have been simply the pads on the rotors. I must have not paid as close attention to my bike when I first got in January.

thanks for the suggestions

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it may have been simply the pads on the rotors. I must have not paid as close attention to my bike when I first got in January.

thanks for the suggestions
I can't beleive that I have answered a technical question lol.
Good stuff.
What are the rotors?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, thats what i was going to suggest. must not be too technical if i could figure it out. good job, neil!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, thats what i was going to suggest. must not be too technical if i could figure it out. good job, neil!
Please dont pee on my fire works, I thought long and hard through the night and consulted numerous technical resources to diagnose that problem.