Adjusting the chain

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my chain the other day. loosened the axle nut then used the adjustment screws. Went for a ride heard a winding noise and though it would be to tight. Went home adjusted it again then went for a ride today. It sounds like the chain is hitting something metal anytime I slow down it makes a horrible noise. Look at the chain and the bottom seems tight (I think maybe it is loose too) but the top is way loose. How do I know when the chain is tight? Is the top part always suppose to rest on the plastic chain guard?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A while ago there was a big thread on this. I could not find it sorry.

The sound when the chain is to tight like a high pitched whine.
The owners manual gives a really good description on the adjustment. My chain does not rest on the top rubber guide.

Nelly

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I will look at it. I must be going in between to tight and too loose. I will look at it today Thanks for the info. I did it the way the manual said to I just have a rough time knowing too tight vs. too loose.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
get it up on the center stand when you check it and spin it around until you find the tight spot.... adjust from there

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
the top is too loose but the bottom tight? could you possibly have somehow over-wound it when putting it back on? If thats the case, try slacking off the chain then drop the chain on the rear sprocket down a tooth to even up the tension. Having one slacker than the other doesnt make sense to me... :S

X

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the top is too loose but the bottom tight? could you possibly have somehow over-wound it when putting it back on? If thats the case, try slacking off the chain then drop the chain on the rear sprocket down a tooth to even up the tension. Having one slacker than the other doesnt make sense to me... :S

X

Maybe when it was too loose it jumped a tooth, but i agree tighter on one side is not normal.